• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - War of the Gems

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
So reading that news about the gems in Street Fighter X Tekken... I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I got to the special pre-order gems part. I smell pay-to-win DLC coming. Good thing I am not a big fighting game player anyway, I can pass it up. I'll be fine with Arcana Heart 3 for a while yet.

Also have my fingers crossed that Otomedius will actually come out this time. Though I suspect that since everyone is expecting a delay anyway, they might just delay it to right before Christmas....
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Otomedius is basically Gradius

Sold.

I love Gradius. It's one of the few games I'll re-purchase until the end of time because it sucks, pisses me off, stabilizes the controller economy thanks to replacements, and teaches me new words unsuitable for anyone under the age of 100.

Worth. Every. Penny.

Now, to see the 8 bit representation of a door stop replaced with big-eyed beauties just added everything awesome to the game.

Though, I'm now curious where the lower missiles will drop from. Neutral
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There were a few interesting things at the New York Comic Con, but most striking was the dedication of a Mega Man Legends 3 cadre.

Man, I had no idea the Mega Man Legends was so popular. Well, at least it doesn't mean there won't be any more Mega Man games. Wait. No game has been planned!

Quote:
The options allow for customized appearances and move sets, though the character generator is apparently capable of crafting only male protagonists.

So the new characters can have their own transformations?
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
I laughed way harder than was likely appropriate at the "I WANNA BE A DENTIST" caption.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
I blame Inafune for MML3's cancellation. Seriously man, you leave AFTER it's finished, not before.

As for SxF's gem system, I could care less. If there's one thing that irritates me more than anything else about fighting games it's the "competitive scene" comprised of people that don't have any FUN playing. Plus this gem's system is actually nothing new in terms of the fighting genre; stuff like the Bleach DS fighting games and Jump Ultimate stars had stuff similar to this and they were TONS of fun.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

As for SxF's gem system, I could care less. If there's one thing that irritates me more than anything else about fighting games it's the "competitive scene" comprised of people that don't have any FUN playing. Plus this gem's system is actually nothing new in terms of the fighting genre; stuff like the Bleach DS fighting games and Jump Ultimate stars had stuff similar to this and they were TONS of fun.
Most people don't have issues with gems themselves, but do take issue with the fact that there are gems that only come with a preorder, which increases the chances of the game being pay-to-win. And it's not like the competitive players don't have fun, it's more that they'd like to be on even ground and have just one version of the game with everything available.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/the-x-button/45469/code2.jpg
Quote:
Hey, you can play the woman on the right and pretend this is a sequel to Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara.
I know you were joking but that's seriously what I was planning on doing.

I wonder if Capcom could hack another deal with the owners of D&D and bring it to XBLA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Shadow originally hails from Sonic Adventure 2. Even though he does appear in STH 06', I'm pretty sure that's a game most people want to forget. I did like the level designs in that game though and it just so happens that Sega picked my personal favorite from that game, Crisis City. Even the remixed music from that stage is just loads of awesome. I, for one, am looking forward to Generations. Colors was a fun title and I expect no less from Generations. Now that Sonic Team has a better grasp of where they're taking Sonic in the future (apparently there was lot of internal debate in the development team of where Sonic games should go, which is why we ended up with the likes of the Riders Series, STH 06', Shadow the Hedgehog, etc.,), I'm looking forward to Sonic 4 Episode 2. There's only one more thing I could possibly want from these games, Multiplayer ala Sonic 2 both Online and Offline.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Code of Princess: I dig Allegro's costume and weapon. Very Happy

Kirby's RtD: About the only thing I have my heart set on now is this. Need to go get it ASAP.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I like how Mega Man's the only person not slain/captured/missing on the poster in that Marvel vs. Capcom stage. It'd make a great Protomen album cover.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:

Also have my fingers crossed that Otomedius will actually come out this time. Though I suspect that since everyone is expecting a delay anyway, they might just delay it to right before Christmas....

Likewise. Delays are one thing, constant delaying is another. Feels like I preordered this game forever ago!
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Fate/ RPG? Sold.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I blame Inafune for MML3's cancellation. Seriously man, you leave AFTER it's finished, not before.

Strangely enough, it's not quite as simple as that. Dunno if anyone here saw the 4Gamer interview where Inafune outlined his reasons for leaving, but there's a translation of it here, and Destructoid did a piece on it as well here. Whether you agree with him on the details or not, you can tell Inafune cares about the gaming industry and the properties he left behind at Capcom... He just isn't the kind of fellow to sacrifice principle or rest on his laurels. Confused

And it's not like he just abandoned MML3, either, Capcom refused to let Keiji Inafune finish the projects he started. When Inafune determined that he couldn't stay working with Capcom anymore, he made a good-faith effort to ensure the projects he started would be seen through to completion... but it seems Capcom pretty much cut him off, despite all his years and contributions to the company.

My guess is that Inafune was already going against the grain trying to start up MML3, just like with Dead Rising and Lost Planet, and probably knew the Capcom execs were deadset to cancel the project anyways. The whole "open-community" idea to involve fans in the games development was intended to discourage the company from cancelling the game and getting into a PR fiasco... but they cancelled it anyways, and here we are today.

The international group of Legends 3 fans are a pretty determined lot by the looks of it, though. I feel sorry for Mr. Killian since he didn't seem to have any control over it, and I really doubt Capcom Japan will much bother to notice this NYCC thing, but I still wish the fans the best of luck anyways. Very Happy
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, when I first met Seth about two years ago, I just asked him about bringing back Rival Schools. I salute you for bringing up Street Fighter EX, Aliens vs. Predator and the other Capcom side-scrollers.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lots of errors this week.

Quote:
Nintendo of America may ignore Wii games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower, but they certainly aren't neglecting Kirby. The pink blob is one of Nintendo's own, and he gets two side-scrolling games: the DS title Mass Attack and this Wii offering, which has flitted in out of development since 2005. The title refers to the original Kirby's Dreamland released on the Game Boy in 1992, but Kirby has expanded his repertoire greatly since then. As in his most recent games, he's able to gulp down enemies and either spit them out as projectiles or gain various powers from digesting them. The vaguely unsettling proportions of that idea are brushed aside as Kirby and his comrades help a stranded alien reassemble a starship.

While it's still Kirby's show, Return to Dreamland features a four-player mode that dumps King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee into the side-scrolling stages, where they can help Kirby—often by letting him inhale and spit them at enemies. Kirby's also able to use temporarily overpowered attacks by consuming specific enemies. Failing that, he can swallow multiple enemies and create particularly damaging projectiles in the unholy cauldron of his innards. But he looks so darned cute doing it.

It's actually "Dream Land", two words, not one. And players 2, 3, and 4 can also play as a Kirby of a different color, they're not just limited to King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee.

Quote:
SONIC GENERATIONS
Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega
Platform: Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/PC
Players: 1-multiplayer
MSRP: $59.99

Sonic Generations is a single-player game on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The Nintendo 3DS version of the game, which launches on November 22 in North America, will feature multiplayer content, but it is a vastly different game.

Quote:
To that end, the game recreates many stages of past Sonic games, from the original's Green Hill Zone to Sonic Adventure's highway race.

Sonic Adventure's Speed Highway does not feature a "race" of any kind, and City Escape, where you race for your life from the killer G.U.N. truck at the end of the level, is from Sonic Adventure 2.

Quote:
The Saturn era is conveniently skipped. Apparently no one had fond memories of Sonic R or Sonic 3D Blast.

Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast are considered spin-off games. Only main-series games were used in Sonic Generations. That's not to say they have been forgotten. During races against Sonic's friends, a new, remixed version of Super Sonic Racing from Sonic R plays as the background music.

Quote:
but players also face Silver and Shadow, both of whom hail from the disastrous 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog.

Shadow The Hedgehog made his debut in Sonic Adventure 2 for the Sega Dreamcast. Shadow would later appear in Sonic Heroes, Sonic Battle, and his self-titled game Shadow The Hedgehog before appearing in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2