• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stitch! Anime No Longer Listed on Disney XD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
How did I not see this coming, that's all I can say. Rolling Eyes
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I concur, why did I think a company thats been putting animation on the side-burner for the better part fo the 21st century for cheesy poorly produced sitcoms would be compitent enough to get somthing as simple as airing an anime based off of one of their properties right.

Again, even though this could just be a temporary removal, its still dissapointing overall, I want my cute all ages alien antics dag-nab it.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd guess it has partially to do with ratings. Maybe they wanted to see how well it did?

If it pulled in decent ratings, then I could see Disney keeping it in the running. However, if ratings plummeted during the time slot, there isn't any point to keeping it on (for them).

To be fair, the US did get a Lilo and Stitch animated series that stuck around for some seasons.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
True, but IMPO is fairly unproffesional to treat an anime based off of one of your own properties so poorly. I think it would do well if they actually advertised it, and let fans of the Lilo & Stitch series know it was on. But yeah still hoping this is a temporary removal.

Either way though still a big middle finger on Diseny's part imo.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I saw this coming. Almost seems like they were under a past obligation to air it in America, but with not much of an appropriate venue left with xd, they did the next best/worse thing they could besides letting it sit in their vault.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
It should have been on normal Disney Channel, not X.D. It doesn't really fit in on X.D

But I suppose it wouldn't fit in on Disney Channel these days either given what they show.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It should have been on normal Disney Channel, not X.D. It doesn't really fit in on X.D

But I suppose it wouldn't fit in on Disney Channel these days either given what they show.

The only good thing they have on every Disney channel in general, IMO, is Phineas & Ferb. And God knows how long that'll go until that gets stale and boring. (Which I hope doesn't happen.)

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Something about this Lilo and Stitch series bugged me... Maybe the fact that there was no Lilo?
I very much liked Lilo. The outcast girl that people can relate to... Save for the adorable alien.

Oh well, better luck next time, Disney.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
The only good thing they have on every Disney channel in general, IMO, is Phineas & Ferb. And God knows how long that'll go until that gets stale and boring. (Which I hope doesn't happen.)

Stitch wouldn't really fit in with that kind of show. Phineas and Ferb is very safe, it's the same repetitive thing each episode, and very tame. Stitch being threatened by a mutated cyborg monster's knife probably isn't that "safe" to them.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Only 4 episodes aired. Today's episode was Phinias and Ferv, instead of Stitch!. It took a little bit to get use to the new voices, but the series was not bad. Yokai and other Japanese flavoring worked well in the series. I was hoping Disney would air the rest of the series, maybe it was only contractual.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Wait...I missed those episodes this week? How did I not see this coming!? Sad
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It's still 4 more episodes than Cartoon Network ever ran of Powerpuff Girls Z.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Emperor Fred wrote:

Don't even think about opening that can of worms.

As for this series, eh, i wasn't really expecting much to come of it anyway. Disney made its own animated series of Lilo and Stitch which got fairly good ratings when it was on. I didn't really see the average person latching on to another country's version of it. Still, only 4 episode... kinda sad.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
so another case of screwed by the network again?

give series been seen outside of u.s. but when come to u.s. yea got screwed?

got wonder what were they thinking?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
Emperor Fred wrote:

As for this series, eh, i wasn't really expecting much to come of it anyway. Disney made its own animated series of Lilo and Stitch which got fairly good ratings when it was on. I didn't really see the average person latching on to another country's version of it. Still, only 4 episode... kinda sad.

forgive my curiosity, but I'd really like to know what can of worms you are referring to....

As for Stitch, tough break. Personally I've never been a fan of anything Stitch related, but 4 episodes is kind of pathetic. If it begrudged them that much to air that small pittance, why did they even bother to air it all? People say it was contractual, but didn't Disney co-produce this? Shouldn't they have had more of say on whether they had to air this stateside? And again, didn't Disney produce this? I mean, geeze they're treating this show like an underarm cyst, if they cared enough to co-produce it why treat it like garbage after the fact?
wAnder481

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Eldritcho wrote:
Emperor Fred wrote:

forgive my curiosity, but I'd really like to know what can of worms you are referring to....

As for Stitch, tough break. Personally I've never been a fan of anything Stitch related, but 4 episodes is kind of pathetic. If it begrudged them that much to air that small pittance, why did they even bother to air it all? People say it was contractual, but didn't Disney co-produce this? Shouldn't they have had more of say on whether they had to air this stateside? And again, didn't Disney produce this? I mean, geeze they're treating this show like an underarm cyst, if they cared enough to co-produce it why treat it like garbage after the fact?

Disney also co-produced Heroman, and while it might be tied up in a mess of legal contracts, I'm still surprised they haven't tried to do anything to get this on Anime hyper, since it seems to be such a perfect fit their target demographic.

I'm even more pessimistic about anything anime related outside of Naruto showing up on the network anymore, but its probably better if it stays that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3