• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Invaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
What was wrong with squirt?

If it's fair to use snakes as an analogy, they do not vomit venom.

Squids may squirt ink, but Squid Girl vomits it in a classic anime comedy-vomit pose.

I was going to say something off the cuff about how in comedy this is similar to a 'spit-take'. I decided to educate myself and re-watch the episode.

You're right about the pose, but she actually sneezes ink the first time.

eyeresist wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
I'm gonna nit-pit a little.

The correct expression is "nit pick". [/irony]

WELL! If you're going to get all pedantic!

Heh! I love irony(even if it means getting hoisted by my own pit/pick/pet-ard) . You've made my day. Smile

Me go away now.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I loved the series, and it is unfathomable that they are releasing the broadcast and not the retail version of the show. Agree with the comments above. Guess Bandai thinks we are a bunch of stupid idiots over here in the West, and that we wouldn't have noticed the difference. Sadly, I agree there won't be a BD version, because of the dismal sales, but it is Bandai's own fault for the dismal sales. No one likes to be cheated or made a fool of.

What exactly was censored? I can't find any specifics online. If the fanbase seriously refuses to buy a series based on one missing nipple shot, then they don't deserve any animes anyway.

dm wrote:
Eh, it doesn't really make that much difference does it? This conversation here is the first I'd heard that there was a difference between the Japanese and the US DVD releases, and... I don't really care. It's not like the series needs additional fanservice.

Are there other significant differences?

From the cover art thread of Volume 1 at Mania.

DiGiKerot wrote:
It's a couple of extra minutes of footage - it's has the feeling of being not so much stuff they added, more content that they cut out in order to make the running time required for broadcast. There's only a couple of scenes which actually have dialogue, but overall the effect of the extra content is an episode which feels way more coherent - spoiler[for one thing, Akiha actually notices that box on the tram which Honoka eventually crawls out of. It never made sense that she didn't on TV.]

As for the later episodes, there's some (mostly minor) demisting in some of the later episodes - the really significant one is in the first episode of the next volume, where there's a bathing scene in which copious amounts of nudity is revealed. They didn't change the episode preview for it, so there's no clues on the one released DVD as to which version they have for that episode.

The last episode also used a different ending credits sequence on the Japanese release, but given that was in place of the picture drama for that volume, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I loved the series, and it is unfathomable that they are releasing the broadcast and not the retail version of the show. Agree with the comments above. Guess Bandai thinks we are a bunch of stupid idiots over here in the West, and that we wouldn't have noticed the difference. Sadly, I agree there won't be a BD version, because of the dismal sales, but it is Bandai's own fault for the dismal sales. No one likes to be cheated or made a fool of.

What exactly was censored? I can't find any specifics online. If the fanbase seriously refuses to buy a series based on one missing nipple shot, then they don't deserve any animes anyway.

There has been this argument before. But it is standard practice to sell the retail version of an anime. If they can do it for Strike Witches, then there shouldn't have been a problem for The Girl Who Leapt Through Space. It is a dilemma for fans. Personally, I don't feel like being cheated by Bandai, I spend enough money on anime already, and I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a broadcast version, when I know the Japanese got the retail version.

Yes, fans should support their favorite series, but if we let Bandai get away with this, perhaps Bandai will feel that they can do this with other series.

ANN doesn't seem to care about the issue, since it seems to always get short shrift in the reviews. But then again, if Bandai doesn't explain its reasoning, what can ANN do.

Perhaps it is a useless gesture, but if we buy it, then Bandai will think this practice is profitable and will do it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4