• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TOEI DVD Impressions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
CFizzLe wrote:
There is no story in Slam Dunk, there is no important dialouge.

You must of never of seen/read Slam Dunk then.
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Great. Now I have to go track down those Interlude fansubs again...

Bite me, Toei.

Ugh, I was looking forward to the Interlude DVD and had it preordered, this is a joke. Hopefully they do something to fix this.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
CFizzLe wrote:

I read the Slam Dunk manga when it was in Rajin magazine, and I just don't understand how anyone could possibly like this series.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Izlude wrote:
CFizzLe wrote:

I read the Slam Dunk manga when it was in Rajin magazine, and I just don't understand how anyone could possibly like this series.

Subsequently, Popotan gets rave reviews despite being tasteless pedo-bait. And it still sells.

I guess the world is weird like that, hey?
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
CFizzLe wrote:
Not a big deal, the fact that it doesn't have a proper sub track doesn't mean anything. There is no story in Slam Dunk, there is no important dialouge.

It still has a 24$ retail price tag and it still has dvd quality. As opposed to crappy fansubs.

Although the fansubs cost zero dollars and doesn't have the screwed up subtitle track. It's a fatal flaw for some people and I'll be damned if I ever buy a domestic release that doesn't live up to my relatively easy standards. Regardless if it's standard shonen or "not deep enough" or whatever.

This just furthers my opinion that nearly all anime companies are incapable of not making unbelievably moronic mistakes. Any fool can hit up google, browse the big American anime websites, stumble into animeondvd.com, and make a forum post asking "how do I not screw this up?" But of course they're oblivious to all of this.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
CFizzLe wrote:
Not a big deal, the fact that it doesn't have a proper sub track doesn't mean anything. There is no story in Slam Dunk, there is no important dialouge.

It still has a 24$ retail price tag and it still has dvd quality. As opposed to crappy fansubs.

Although the fansubs cost zero dollars and doesn't have the screwed up subtitle track. It's a fatal flaw for some people and I'll be damned if I ever buy a domestic release that doesn't live up to my relatively easy standards. Regardless if it's standard shonen or "not deep enough" or whatever.

This just furthers my opinion that nearly all anime companies are incapable of not making unbelievably moronic mistakes. Any fool can hit up google, browse the big American anime websites, stumble into animeondvd.com, and make a forum post asking "how do I not screw this up?" But of course they're oblivious to all of this.

To be fair though, mistakes like this are never ever as common as you'd think, and a lot of errors from say funimation, bandai, ADV or geneon are things that happen in the replication process and such. Companies like 4Kids, Toei, Dreamworks and such make and activley approve stupid crap like this, and to that end I find it fairly appauling that such large companies cannot do even the basic of things.

Toei in general is a very screwey company, but here's hoping they'll take note and fix this with subsequent volumes (aswell as fixing and recalling current ones too)
CFizzLe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
CFizzLe wrote:

Good job assuming, actually I have read all 31 volumes of Slam Dunk and have seen the TV series twice and the OVAs.

I stand by what I say, there is no story in Slam Dunk that requires the original hard cut dialogue.

It's not going to be ruined in terms of translations.

And I laugh at that commet of "How could anyone like Slam Dunk", say that to the 100 million copies sold.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
CFizzLe wrote:
Good job assuming, actually I have read all 31 volumes of Slam Dunk and have seen the TV series twice and the OVAs.

I stand by what I say, there is no story in Slam Dunk that requires the original hard cut dialogue.

While that might be true, Slam Dunk did something positive to the people of Japan - it helped popularize the great sport of basketball to the Japanese people. Wink

deathbringer wrote:

Before Slam Dunk hit the shelves in Japan, the sport of basketball was relatively unknown in Japan. A sport that favors extremely tall players seemed unlikely to catch on to what was the shortest industrialized nation in the world. Basketball started to grow in popularity in Asia during the 1980s and early 1990s, but was still slowly developing a following in Japan. However, a massive marketing campaing engineered by both Nike and the NBA (helped by the NBA playing regular-season games in Tokyo during the late 80s-early 90s) sparked the curiosity of the sport to the Japanese people.

Basketball so thrilled Takehito Inouethat he decided to create a manga based on the sport that he played in high school. The first manga that he published, Kaede Purple in 1988 (which won him the Tezuka Award for new manga artists), depicted the history of basketball. In 1990, he created Slam Dunk in hopes to capitalized on the growing popularity of basketball in Japan. The manga, which is based on his own high-school memories of playing the sport, was serialized in Raijin Comics. The manga was an instant hit. Its combination of sports action, comedy, and drama hooked fans on both the story and the sport.

15 years later, Slam Dunk is still one of the strongest properties in the manga/anime universe, and I feel that it will be well-received here in America, given the recent resurgence of basketball in our country. I love sports as much as I love anime, and I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm hoping that Slam Dunk will give the sports genre in anime the shot-in-the-arm it desperately needs.

How could anyone like Slam Dunk? Because they like basketball! Why will I watch Slam Dunk? Because I like basketball!

(FYI: Most of the information that I posted can be found in the Anime Spotlight article in the March 2005 issue of Animerica (Volume 13, Issue 3), PP. 32-36.)

Last edited by biliano on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
In 1990, he created Slam Dunk in hopes to capitalized on the growing popularity of basketball in Japan.

biliano wrote:
25 years later, Slam Dunk is still one of the strongest properties in the manga/anime universe

We aren't in 2015 yet.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yikes! Embarassed It looks like Animerica made a little boo-boo in their article. Now I see why nobody likes to read it. I fixed my post. Thanks for catching that! Wink

Last edited by biliano on Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

Before Slam Dunk hit the shelves in Japan, the sport of basketball was relatively unknown in Japan. A sport that favors extremely tall players seemed unlikely to catch on to what was the shortest industrialized nation in the world. Basketball started to grow in popularity in Asia during the 1980s and early 1990s, but was still slowly developing a following in Japan. However, a massive marketing campaing engineered by both Nike and the NBA (helped by the NBA playing regular-season games in Tokyo during the late 80s-early 90s) sparked the curiosity of the sport to the Japanese people.

Basketball so thrilled Takehito Inouethat he decided to create a manga based on the sport that he played in high school. The first manga that he published, Kaede Purple in 1988 (which won him the Tezuka Award for new manga artists), depicted the history of basketball. In 1990, he created Slam Dunk in hopes to capitalized on the growing popularity of basketball in Japan. The manga, which is based on his own high-school memories of playing the sport, was serialized in Raijin Comics. The manga was an instant hit. Its combination of sports action, comedy, and drama hooked fans on both the story and the sport.

15 years later, Slam Dunk is still one of the strongest properties in the manga/anime universe, and I feel that it will be well-received here in America, given the recent resurgence of basketball in our country. I love sports as much as I love anime, and I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm hoping that Slam Dunk will give the sports genre in anime the shot-in-the-arm it desperately needs.

How could anyone like Slam Dunk? Because they like basketball! Why will I watch Slam Dunk? Because I like basketball!

I like Basketball, just the entertaining parts. If Basketball was mostly people training, and talking about themselves, then I bet the viewership would definitely fall.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

I like Basketball, just the entertaining parts. If Basketball was mostly people training, and talking about themselves, then I bet the viewership would definitely fall.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:

It is a very exciting sport. Just today I witness three excellent college basketball games. The Louisville/Memphis game ended in a heartbreaker (the Memphis player missed two free throws that would have automatically put Memphis in the NCAA tournament - and the poor kid is a freshman), and the Wisconsin/Iowa and Buffalo/Ohio University games ended at the wire. (Wisconsin and OU won their respected games.) They don't call it "March Madness" for nothing, baby! Very Happy
Erufu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:53 am Reply with quote
It defense of Dreamworks, it seemed like they didn't realize that the closed captioning was coming up also under subtitles. They did fix this problem. This is way different from compaines that put out poorly translated material and poorly done subtitles. They won't be replacing DVDs on the grounds of they screwed up the first time around.

As for people saying it doesn't matter because there's no story, I say that's wrong. I've never read or seen Slam Dunk, but having inaccurate subtitles will make me not want to watch a series more than the fact that it has no plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2