• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
i don't know, i personally found Nausicaa to be extremely overrated. but that's me of course.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Well as it stands at the moment it will never be seen in a UK cinema, and I can't wait to see the complete movie having seen the "Warrior" one back in the 80's.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
An old fansub I saw of this was pretty good, so I'm glad that it sounds like Disney did a good job.

And is there a reason why there is a "+" comment at the bottom of the review but no "-" comment? From what the review stated, it sounded very good, but a few detractions were stated as well.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The detracting factors were minor - not significant enough to justify mention as an overall negative, I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic review, Key! Personally, I am very pleased with the English language track on this one. Nausicaa is a title that's very dear to me, and I'm so happy that this release lived up to--and exceded--my expectations. Patrick Stewart as Yupa was absolutely perfect!

(If you'll allow me to break off on a little bit of a tangent, I also noticed Patrick Stewart listed as one of the voice actors in Steamboy, and he also appeared on the Bambi DVD... I wonder if he's an animation fan?)

I was also pleased with the extras in this release; they were much better than the ones on Castle in the Sky. The Studio Ghibli documentary was very interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The "Warriors" one was worse than sitting through a marathon of Olsen twins movies or Gravion.

I think I'll go out and buy this sometime this week.

Referring to the French and Spanish dubs:

*waves hand*
These are not the dubs you are searching for.
Ryo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Disney didn't even bother to dub it in french... Sad Both Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns have a french audio track, as well as their previous 3 Ghibli releases. Only Nausicaa was left out.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryo wrote:
I wonder why Disney didn't even bother to dub it in french... Sad Both Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns have a french audio track, as well as their previous 3 Ghibli releases. Only Nausicaa was left out.

Porco Rosso had already been dubbed into French. A very widely acclaimed dub too, featuring Jean Reno - though I don't have the DVD yet so I can't comment myself. Dunno about Cat Returns or the others, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I must add that I enjoyed the Nausicaa dub as well, but I wouldn't say it's the best of the Studio Ghibli/Disney dubs. I've found practically all of them to be very enjoyable and special in their own way, so I'd feel bad in choosing a favorite or least favorite.

That said, I was very pleased with the amount of extras on the Nausicaa disc as well. Now as far as Castle in the Sky goes, I was happy to have the movie available in English (with great performances by Cloris Leachman and Mark Hamill!), and that more than made up for the lack of paltry extras (for me anyway). I really would have liked to see a featurette on how Joe Hisaishi rescored his music for the redub of Laputa, but oh well, can't have everything, huh?

-Jon T.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that whether or not a R1 Ghibli DVD has the French dub on it depends completely on whether or not one already exists in France, and, as far as I can tell, the only French dub of Nausicaa there is was Le vaisseau fantôme, a re-dub of the heavily-edited Warriors of the Wind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1