• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Film Project to Be Trilogy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackstick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Best of both worlds.

I like.

I think I'll watch Madoka one more time, because I [expletive] love it, and then never watch it again so that the film trilogy can still feel fresh.

Last edited by Jackstick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
So it's really happening huh.

Forgive me for being dramatic, but I might as well die in a ditch somewhere. There's no way the third movie will be any good. Thanks for ruining a perfect story there, bub.

[Don't worry, it is all part of my plan. If I get my hopes down to rock bottom then I'll be blown away when the third movie turns out to be awesome.]
Shii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, a Negative Nancy in the second comment.

This is going to be amazing like the Eva remake.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Like I said, I'm sure these people have enough creativity to do this properly.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
You know, I am honestly very excited about this. It's just that... Aniplex USA is already going to be taking over $200 from me for the Madoka LE sets in the first half of the next year. Had already put the pre-order for them a few weeks ago. So to have confirmed another potentially large investment "so soon" actually freaks me out a bit, even when their eventual(?) American releases won't be done until 2013 at the absolute earliest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Not 1 but 2 recap movies so soon after the TV series ended? Are people's memories so bad that they can't just rerun a TV series marathon?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Now, I wonder exactly how significant the use of the word "trilogy" is. Are we looking at a straight-up sequel?
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Literal buckets of tears and other bodily fluids have been shed to this glorious news
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
Literal buckets of tears and other bodily fluids have been shed

Ewwwwwwww.................
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
I am aboot to shed tears but for other reasons. The only way I would like this if it was aboot stories that were not elaborated much. Like the Kyoko-Mami relationship prior to the series or some previously unseen timelines.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
I guess this means Madoka will be winning Saimoe for the next 3 years or so. But I guess that's okay; all the girls will get a chance to win, not just Mami. Laughing
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Not 1 but 2 recap movies so soon after the TV series ended? Are people's memories so bad that they can't just rerun a TV series marathon?

The Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy premiered only fourteen months after the TV series ended. Given that we're only seeing an official announcement of the Madoka Magica movies in the December issue of Newtype, they're still a ways off and will likely start premiering in a similar timeframe.

Popular things just tend to get re-releases. They always have. Big-name Disney movies have returned to theatres mere months after leaving them due to popularity, and compilation movies of popular anime are in no short supply. It's got nothing to do with the public's memory or attention span and more to do with producers capitalizing on big hits, and Madoka Magica was a big hit for it to stand out so much in an oversaturated market.

Besides, we have no real information on exactly what kind of compilation the first two movies will be. We don't know if they'll be cheap "series in fast-forward" compilations like the ones Gundam SEED got, if they'll be "otherwise faithful with significant improvements to certain key areas" like Mobile Suit Gundam, or if they'll be "the same cast and general plot, but completely rearranged" like Rebuild of Evangelion. Given that there's going to be a third film attached that's not a compilation, it could very well be the latter, making it a fairly new experience for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Enurtsol, you can't sell the DVDs and Blu-Rays of the television series all over again, but you can sell the movies, both in ticket prices and in home video sales. From a financial standpoint making two recap movies is a license to print money, cause it's cheap to make and will result in tens of thousands of sales. Especially so if SHAFT tweaks a scene or two and then bills it as "Madoka Magica, now with new content!!!"

Shii wrote:
Wow, a Negative Nancy in the second comment.

This is going to be amazing like the Eva remake.

First of all, read my post again. Wasn't as negative as you think.

Secondly, I hated every part of End of Evangelion except when Asuka lays the smackdown. Everything else was baffling when it wasn't being outright painful. So yeah, I'm really hoping that the original PMMM movie will not follow in the "illustrious" footsteps of EoE.
Djisas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
I think he did not mean EOE, but EVA 1.11 and 2.22 and so far, have you even watched these masterpieces??
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not thrilled with this. As a completist, I will have to get the two compilation movies and I generally don't like compilation movies. However, the money-grabbing aspect of this makes it a no-brainer for Aniplex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3