• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces The World God Only Knows Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Again, the thing I love about Sentai is the quick turnaround from announcement to release. They announced it in September, and the dvd, dub and all, is coming out 4 months later. Funimation could learn from them.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
After hearing a few minutes of Sentai's Angel Beats dub I became extremely saddened that they are wasting their talents on crap like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ew no.

In return we get amateurish dubs rank with lip-sync issues, translation errors, and general Foster hackery.

If the difference between the downtime results in the difference between Spice and Wolf and Angel Beats dubs then sign me up for a year delay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
After hearing a few minutes of Sentai's Angel Beats dub I became extremely saddened that they are wasting their talents on crap like this.

Their Angel Beats' dub was amazing, its one of the few dubs that I like from Sentai.

Did anyone predict that Luci Christian would play Elsie... they over-use her so much. She's amazing; and my favorite english VA so I'm saying anything bad.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Steven Foster is awesome.

The more Sentai dubs, the better.
Though, using more directors would be good, too. Janice Williams did great on Ghost Hound, and I'd love to hear her direct more dubs.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Not to keen on Brittney Karbowski being cast as Kanon, I feel like she doesn't have the right voice for it. Then again I don't think they're dubbing the songs so it doesn't really matter.

Also kinda surprised at Hilary Haag voicing Shiori, she normally plays really energetic characters.

I can't wait to buy the DVDs, the cast looks great.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Small typo? Smile

Quote:
Morita – Kalob Kartinez

Shouldn't it be "Martinez"

(this guy)
person#46503
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Again, the thing I love about Sentai is the quick turnaround from announcement to release. They announced it in September, and the dvd, dub and all, is coming out 4 months later. Funimation could learn from them.

How's that a good thing? It means we get rushed out dubs. I'd rather wait for a while to get a quality release than the crappy rushed out sentai dubs
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So happy to hear that Chris Patton and Luci Christian will be voicing the two leads! They always sound great together, what an awesome duo. Anime catgrin
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Pretty surprised. I figured Monica Rial would play Elsie, Luci Christian would play Ayumi, and Todd Haberkon as Keima (I first imagined Funimation picking this one up). But, you know what? I was worried they'd just typecast Greg Ayres as Keima. Chris works out MUCH better.

Take as long as you need Sentai. We want a dub as good as Angel Beats, and nothing like Demon King Daimou

Of course, the bitch is that I need to do seem massive rework when I read the manga. Shit. I can't reread all of that.

So, who wants to guess Jessica Boone will probably play Haqua in season 2?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Chris Patton as the lead?

Hmmm, I didn't care for TWGOK, but Patton is easily my favorite English voice actor. I'll check the dub out at least.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Chris Patton and Luci Christian? This looks promising.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:

How's that a good thing? It means we get rushed out dubs. I'd rather wait for a while to get a quality release than the crappy rushed out sentai dubs

FUNimation doesn't spend any more time then Sentai does on dubs (and they sure as hell aren't any better), they just announce everything WAY too early, thats why it always takes awhile to see the show come out, notice how Sentai ANNOUNCED they had the show not even a month ago and the release is right around the bend? Thats great marketing because it capitalizes on fan knee-jerk pre-order reactions, they got the rights and started the dub some time ago, they know better then to announce crap a year too early like FUNi does.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

FUNimation doesn't spend any more time then Sentai does on dubs (and they sure as hell aren't any better), they just announce everything WAY too early, thats why it always takes awhile to see the show come out, notice how Sentai ANNOUNCED they had the show not even a month ago and the release is right around the bend? Thats great marketing because it capitalizes on fan knee-jerk pre-order reactions, they got the rights and started the dub some time ago, they know better then to announce crap a year too early like FUNi does.

its crazy to say that sentai dubs are at the same level of quality as funi dubs, sentai dubs sound like fan dubs filled with awkward translations with no attention to matching lip flaps. at least funi takes the time to make the script work in English rather then just rush it out the door.

not to say i hate sentai dubs, i mean its better than nothing. i just wish they'd put a little more effort into it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

its crazy to say that sentai dubs are at the same level of quality as funi dubs, sentai dubs sound like fan dubs filled with awkward translations with no attention to matching lip flaps. at least funi takes the time to make the script work in English rather then just rush it out the door.

not to say i hate sentai dubs, i mean its better than nothing. i just wish they'd put a little more effort into it.

I completely disagree. I would gladly take any of Sentai's dubs over any of Funi's dubs the past three years or so. Funimation has an amazing ability to pick actors that are completely ill suited to their roles. They somehow manage to take very competent actors and put them in roles that they completely lack the range to portray. They are consistently the only dubbing studio that puts out releases that I find myself debating on switching to the Japanese tracks.

At least Sentai can cast their roles appropriately and get good performances out of them. I don't care how good a script is, but if you throw a VA just because their popular at the moment, it's not going to turn out well and Funi's rarely do anymore.

Everybody has their own opinions on dubs and it's really pointless debating it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5