• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Hiro Mashima [2011-11-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
it cuts out a lot of the bad stuff from One Piece.

What bad stuff? There is bad stuff in One Piece? lol

Fairy Tale is just a bootleg One Piece.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally,I'd love to see a manga by Hiro Mashima that's set in the United States. I'd love to see what he'd do with that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Mashima looks like he was dragged out of bed for that photo. What happened to him? Was it jet lag?

In any case, maybe I'll actually pick up Fairy Tail, either the manga or the anime. I noticed Mashima's style drifting away from Oda's as time passes by. Without any context, I can now immediately tell Mashima's modern style from Oda's. I'm sure this is due to the two of them getting closer to their natural styles and away from mimicking Akira Toriyama. (Not that Toriyama's complaining.)

Either way, Fairy Tail is a very good seller. Nothing outsells it except One Piece itself. Even if he was intentionally aping One Piece, he's getting rich from it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mashima looks like he was dragged out of bed for that photo. What happened to him? Was it jet lag?

In any case, maybe I'll actually pick up Fairy Tail, either the manga or the anime. I noticed Mashima's style drifting away from Oda's as time passes by. Without any context, I can now immediately tell Mashima's modern style from Oda's. I'm sure this is due to the two of them getting closer to their natural styles and away from mimicking Akira Toriyama. (Not that Toriyama's complaining.)

Either way, Fairy Tail is a very good seller. Nothing outsells it except One Piece itself. Even if he was intentionally aping One Piece, he's getting rich from it.

Your wrong about that actually. Naruto, Bleach and Hunter X Hunter outsell Fairy Tail. It;s become a huge hit for Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine, but it;s not quite as big a seller as JUMP's flagship titles.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Personally,I'd love to see a manga by Hiro Mashima that's set in the United States. I'd love to see what he'd do with that.

No one cares about America. No one is going to set their series in America, seriously stop bringing it up. I read manga, I'm sorry "manga", to read Japanese stories set in Japan (or fantasy worlds of no especially specific place), if I wanted a comic set in America, I got a shelf of graphic novels from DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Vertigo for just that.
blackseer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

No one cares about America. No one is going to set their series in America, seriously stop bringing it up. I read manga, I'm sorry "manga", to read Japanese stories set in Japan (or fantasy worlds of no especially specific place), if I wanted a comic set in America, I got a shelf of graphic novels from DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Vertigo for just that.

I don't care about a manga set in the US either. There are plnety of comics and graphic novels about it. But, just to add, Shaman King spends many volumes in the US, so at least they tried it before.

And if people want, or even care about, a manga about America, not US, the series Eden It's an Endless World is mostly set on Bolivia, I think. And it's a really good scifi that tries to portrait the slums in South America and does a decent job at that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Um, powerlevels started with Astro boy.

The famous "world's strongest robot" arc of astro boy has astro (horsepower 100,000) eventually fighting Pluto, who was built with 1,000,000 horsepower.
Before that pluto goes around the world fighting the world's top 10 strongest robots (with various horsepowers from ~80,000-500,000 or so if I recall) and destroying them all.
Not only that, but it ends in a befriending and then heroic sacrifice by Pluto.

I think I remember that anime episode(s). I think they fought a surprise robot who's even more powerful that eventually killed Pluto but destroyed by Astro.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
But, just to add, Shaman King spends many volumes in the US, so at least they tried it before.

Hirohiko Araki used the United States as the main setting for Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run, as well the beginning of Battle Tendency being in New York. And he just so happened to do a pretty good job with them, too.

Just because it's America doesn't mean a Japanese artist can't be interested in the country.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:

Just because it's America doesn't mean a Japanese artist can't be interested in the country.

Kenichi SONODA (Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Gunsmith Cats) is a Chicago fanboy. Laughing
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
yay. now mashima, no more asspull Natsu powerups, no more only Natsu defeats the main villain, no more letting screwing with Makarov's life, let him die or don't give him 99% fatal wouds.
And end the Gajeel x Levy pairing (i know Mashima won't read this, just ranting.)
timmyjingoro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I've never seen, read or heard anything about Fairy Tale--yes, I live under a rock. But why did my first reaction to the animated banner for this link make me say "What's Luffy and Nami doing there?"

Seriously. Why does it look like Fairy Tale aped One Piece on its character designs, going so far as to make near copies of certain characters?

1) I don't see the resemblance... even more so in case of newer fairy tail chapters and the anime since the beginning. luffy and natsu look nothing alike. and pretty much almost every anime chick has looked the same long since long before nami.

also 2) this is obviously NOT the first time you have heard about fairy tail. people who come to this site, have an account and post in forums aren't the "living under the rock" type when it comes to anime. as a matter of fact, they are likely big anime enthusiasts. and fairy tail itself is a pretty big deal for any anime enthusiast to never have heard about. so for me, your comment reeks of an agenda to insult fairy tail in any way you can.

so 3) you are [do not insult or attack other users. - Keonyn]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
timmyjingoro wrote:
and pretty much almost every anime chick has looked the same long since long before nami.

Well that's factually wrong. The sheer number of different art styles easily prevents something like that.
NamiLuffy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
fairy tail is one of my favorites, keep going Hiro Mashima!
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sheesh! What's with all the OP comparisons, can we please NOT start a fan war, thank you? (or continue it...)

Fairy Tail and One Piece have nothing in common except for both main characters in vests, a somewhat similar non-traditional westernized style, and having heavy background and design details.

I do not want to listen to another juvenile fan war like One Piece has to deal with in Naruto and Bleach Debates. No currently running shonen is easily comparable to One Piece and it aims at being treated as a completely different style of Manga from FT anyways. (OP pushes boundaries of what is acceptable family-friendly content and FT doesn't for one example)

Fairy Tail is purely Shonen Story, it's average level story telling with quality art and imagination. So far I'd say it doesn't have too many plot holes so I'd say it relatively well written, but it's non-stop Shonen cleche's and not comparable to OP. It also tries to aim at younger demographics than OP.

Fairy Tail is a very fun, light-hearted series if you like Shonen.

Now I feel all disgruntled and distracted from all this non-sense
-----------------------------

Anyway, I wish I was at that even and got to meet Mr. Mashima! The guy (along with other artist like Eiichiro Oda, Takeshi Konomi, and Takeshi Obata) has been a celebrity hero and inspiration for me for over a decade now. Without nerding out too much I would have probably melted.
inowannabe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
Lets get a few basic facts straight, OP has a clearly defined endings unlike fairy tail which keeps developing.

the charm and the sad part of OP is its detail Oda puts a lot of effort(i.e lot of chapters) to prepare for a new arc making them horribly long (*which can be kinda frustrating as there isn't anything really juicy in a chapter*)

Fairy tail on the other hand has much shorter arcs → giving us a good story, this makes each chapter seem interesting (whereas OP an chapter has mostly a lot of useless bickering) But since these arcs are so short Hiro can't create enough hype about any antagonist making them seem easy.

I'd recommend FT to any one who likes a short but interesting arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4