• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Place Promised Theatrical Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
Weird that they would list it before any official announcement of acquiring the license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting. I may have to check this out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, in the press release, it hints that ADV's gunning for Best Animated Film.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
They can gun for "Best Animated Feature" if they like, but you know that, unless a major studio does the distribution and, more importantly, spends big bucks on For Your Consideration ads in Variety and The Hollywood Reporter in November, à la Spirited Away (and what Dreamworks failed to do for Innocence), it'll just be another one of the dozen or so animated films on the nomination ballot that virtually no one in the Academy will vote for because they'd have no idea what it is and, as such, wouldn't stand a chance at actually being nominated compared to the stuff that will have saturation-level marketing campaigns and/or critical momentum behind it.

The only anime film that has any real chance at being nominated next year is Howl's Moving Castle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: You never know. Sony might want to bail out Steamboy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it; even with a 63% Tomatometer, a lot of the "Fresh" reviews are pretty lukewarm and it doesn't really have what you could call critical momentum behind it (not that critical momentum matters much when a film is released in March as it's very difficult to sustain). And Ebert gave it thumbs down, so, unless he has a major change of heart, he's not going to be backing it in his annual "Memo to the Academy" the way he did with Spirited Away. And it's being released the same year as a Miyazaki film, and I doubt you'll ever see two anime films nominated in the same year. The Corpse Bride, Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Little and Madagascar will all have to be massive critical flops for that scenario to be remotely feasible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The Corpse Bride is probably not gonna go any better than Nightmare Before Christmas. Wallace and Gromit will probably do slightly better than Chicken Run, Chicken Little is probably not gonna even be done before 2005, if there aren't any new ads for it already, and Madagascar's gonna do worse than Robots. CG films are flooding the market pretty badly, and even Pixar's a victim of its own success with Cars, so as the actual writing deteriorates, the Academy might revolt and pick more 2-d films to spite the majors. Anyway, the more animated films, the merrier, as I feel that only three slots makes it easier for Dreamworks and Disney to buy their way into the coveted award.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1