• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters to Release 1st Squid Girl Season on BD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sure am glad that I hadn't gotten around to buying the DVDs yet. I'd have been annoyed if I had and then had them pull this.
silencer226

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I don't feel bad about buying part 1 on dvd at all. Cool

*throws part one out the window*

Hopefully the case for the Blu-ray won't suck like the DVD case... Disc 2 is really scratched up and it's sad because I just now noticed it.
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
I should probably feel slighted by this somehow, but the DVD's were cheaper (I paid $15 each for them) and I don't have a way to watch BDs anyway.
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Oh well, I'm now glad I held up on buying the DVDs.

Now, does this mean that season 2 will eventually be released in BD after releasing it in 2-part DVDs?

Also, $59.99 probably means it'll sell for 40 something bucks on TRSI.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Meh, I paid for the DVDs and Im not too upset about this, Squid Girl doesnt really scream "Blu-ray" to me

Unless there's some kinda special thing or extra feature that comes with the Blu-ray that makes the DVDs look useless, I dont regret anything
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Alright! Hopefully I'll have a Bluray player by then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
I was literally just about to shop and buy Part 2, guess I dodged the bullet this time, maybe I'll make Part 1 a Christmas present for someone.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
I knew a release like this was bound to happen at some point. Glad I held out on the DVDs.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
This is exactly why I don't buy DVD-only sets day one anymore.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
I was one click from buying part one yesterday but found an awesome deal on the blu ray version of Demon King Daimo.

Thanks Media Blasters this announcement means the fact i was probs going to buy the first part next week will no longer happen. And i'll just wait for the Blu Ray Release.

Im glad they announced this now for my wallets sake. But surely this announcement timing makes no buisness sense at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine why anyone would care. Squid Girl is a fun little series, but it is no sumptuous visual delight that requires the splendor of BD. Is anybody's enjoyment of this comedy really going to be enhanced to a significant degree if they watch it on BD versus DVD? Oh, marketing gods, once again you have swayed a bunch of ... people into paying more than they have to.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would care.

One of these days, you'll own a BD player. Then, you'll understand. BD players aren't kind to DVDs, sir. They just aren't. They can spot a very shitty quality DVD vs. one which received a pinch of love. Some will play without issues. Others will stop dead in their tracks.

BDs get the ultimate love. I've not had one stop on me yet.

As for the news... [fumes]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would care.

One of these days, you'll own a BD player. Then, you'll understand. BD players aren't kind to DVDs, sir. They just aren't. They can spot a very shitty quality DVD vs. one which received a pinch of love. Some will play without issues. Others will stop dead in their tracks.

Not that DVD replication has much to do with the audio-video quality/encoding, but I've had several Bluray players from the PS3 to Sony to Memorex to Samsung computer drive, and all of 'em played any valid** DVD I've put on 'em, even DVDs with bad quality/encodes. (Incidentally, they played valid BDs with bad quality/encodes too.)

[** Valid meaning it played fine on the regular DVD player, e.g. not faulty replication.]
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they are going to do the same thing with Bakuman. I don't want to keep buying the DVD singles if they are going to release a complete set on Blu-ray at the end.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Anime_Otaku35 wrote:
I wonder if they are going to do the same thing with Bakuman. I don't want to keep buying the DVD singles if they are going to release a complete set on Blu-ray at the end.

They probably will. If they did with both seasons of Queen's Blade and now doing this with Squid Girl, you can probably take it to the bank that Bakuman will get a BD set in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2