• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Back to the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
I agree that the episode of Chihaya Furu about the poetry's symbolism was wonderful, and not just because I analyze literature for a living. Very Happy (Ok, maybe a little...) I can't stop watching that show! I get annoyed that I have a class when it's on and I have to wait until the next day to watch it. Seriously, the book The Ink Dark Moon is a must-read if you get interested in Japanese tanka poetry.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm a little confused with the symbols too. On the side its got Un-go with a neutral (?) symbol (circle w/line through it) but in the body of the review its got a green arrow pointing up. That certainly does not make me think its moved up in rankings. Maybe a typo?

I think it would probably be best to have a little blurb at the top to remind some of us what the purpose of the symbols mean (rankings amongst the shows), because we can forget especially since its a new column and also there are people that don't look at ANN obsessively every day who might be seeing this column for the first time starting with this second installment.

I pretty much dropped everything but Chihayafuru, Future Diary, Fate/Zero, and Guilty Crown. I'm not quite enjoying Future Diary as much as when I read the manga (sigh) maybe its because I know its future. I'm also still watching Ben-to and Wagnaria season 2, but they are both borderline for me.

Thanks once again to Bamboo for this great column! I'm really enjoying it.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
I kind of like Phi Brain, I watch it for the puzzles not Nonoha c**kblocking Kaito or Nonoha constantly saying Kaito every time he makes a sound or Nonoha being a clingy jealous girl who seems be perfect in every way except for not being like Orihime. Really tired of the weak main female character who only has eyes for the 1st main male character which makes a lot of the newest anime a painful viewing.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the Radical Horizon Criticism Defense Force won't be invited for the next update. Still though, show's been pretty straightforward since episode 3, and the pandering claims are excessive.

Criticism for Un-Go is, I think, going in the wrong direction. The cases aren't about suspense- the presence of Rinroku and his truthy overrides ought to make that clear from the first episode- but the circumstances and motivations behind them; the sleuthing feels a lot more natural (disregarding a certain panda-print plot device) than over-dramatized "THE MURDERER IS AMONGST US" fare; actual detective work probably seems quite boring when seen from the outside. I can't be sure how much each chapter of the novel is condensed per episode, though some of the cases are definitely patchy. The political string-pulling and post-war scenario seem more like things to relate to than to expect real answers for, although an exposé ending probably wouldn't be too much to ask for

Mirai Nikki's already far and above the rest of the season in the trainwreck-waiting-to-happen department, and anyone who hasn't read the manga will probably find it either excruciating or completely hilarious, the farther the adaptation gets.

Quote:
On Phi Brain
...Hold the phone. If this isn't the craziest, most ridiculous set up for an anime you've ever heard of...

It's not even the craziest set up for an anime airing this season.

That'd be Ben-To

Quote:
On Persona 4
...Why the kids don't tell the authorities is beyond me. There really is no indication that the cops wouldn't also be able to jump into TV land, other than it would mess up the flow of the video game...

Because the cops don't have magic soul friends and wouldn't get very far with rural JPD standard issue firearms, maybe?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote
Quote:
I think what's great about Hunter x Hunter is that it feels like a kids show, even though it has the edge and shock value that older viewers have come to enjoy in their entertainment. It's a serious show with serious themes that doesn't feel weighed down by its subject matter.

Completely agree. The scene where Gon and Killua spoiler[ talk about Killua being the son of assassins and he, nonchalantly, mentions stabbing his mom in the face ] definitively embodies the innocently cuteness of the art with the deadly serious undertones of the story. Also, I'm starting to like the ending song more! ^__^

Even though I like Future Diary for not making much sense and being quite gory (sort of like Deadman Wonderland), I usually don't watch horror shows. To me, it's not shocking but rather amusing to see how people are getting killed so easily. I'm weird, aren't I?

And Chihayafuru is still awesome!!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
20$ for anyone who explains to me what the hell Horizon is about.
Seriously... I'm confused as hell.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Quiet! They'll hear you!
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

How about a cookie Razz ? It's apparently about some Japanese wars and the protagonists are high school students who are able to stop it... I'm would not be able to make up this (better anime#12868 )
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I think I read that the first four books are setting up the story.

Good luck. I can only hope that's the four on the bottom and not the top.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Wow, your symbols make no sense.

What does a circle with a line through it mean? What does the up arrow mean? The down arrow? The X is easy, but the others don't seem to serve any purpose other than to make one wonder what they mean.

I will add a key.

Basically, that just shows the series' relative positions in the charts. If they moved up in the rankings, they get an up arrow. If they don't change, they have the circle with the line through it. If they move down, they get a down arrow. The reason Fate/zero has a down arrow, is because it was unseated from the #2 spot by Future Diary.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
If the arrows only mean position movement, shouldn't nearly all the series receive red arrows, since Mirai Nikki and Phi Brain stole position from most of them?

Guilty Crown lost one position and HunterxHunter kept its 4th, but only the two new ones should've received green arrows.

You raise a good point. The system isn't perfect, because it doesn't really take into account for the fact that a bunch of series started simulcasting late in the US. The ranking system was originally invented under the assumption that all shows would receive a true simulcast-- right from the beginning.

So yes, you're right. The way I did things this way was in relation to their relative positions. Because F/Z dropped down from #2 to #3, it got a down arrow. And since Last Exile got bumped below Hunter, that got a down as well. But Hunter got an up because it moved relatively higher.

It's a work in progress, guys. Keep the comments coming; your suggestions are helpful!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I say abandon the pure ranking with arrows and make it more clear it's about how you think the show is progressing in comparison to previous weeks and in relation to others.
Still rank from your favorite to least but maybe switch it smiley faces or something similar.

loosely...

(^_^) This show is better than before
(-_-) This show is just about as good as before
(>_<) This show isn't as good as before
(x_x) This show is dead to me

Using this system you could even consistently use smiley faces for your favorite show if you think it continues to progress nicely and use an apathetic face even if technically rises in rank because ones that had been above it have tanked worse.

Although, I have a feeling that if you started watching the simulcasts of C^3 and Maken-ki, they won't be dragging the others down all that far. Haganai might though... if Funimation/NicoNico ever get around to showing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

(Anime smile) This show is better than before
(-_-) This show is just about as good as before
(Anime hyper) This show isn't as good as before
(x_x) This show is dead to me

Using this system you could even consistently use smiley faces for your favorite show if you think it continues to progress nicely and use an apathetic face even if technically rises in rank because ones that had been above it have tanked worse.

Okay, look, the 'smiley faces' you described are literally the exact same thing as the arrows. Up means better than before, Neutral means about the same, Down means not as good, X means dead to me.

This is not that difficult to understand at all, people. Seriously.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, not exactly. The arrows are only about position, or better put, rating the episodes for those weeks of one anime in comparison with all the other streaming anime's episodes for those weeks. Whereas from what I understood, the faces would be comparing the new episodes of one anime solely with the episodes of that same anime that were covered in the prior column.

I will say though that the arrows are confusing. One would think that just how Fate/Zero dropped from #2 to #3 and got a down arrow, the same would happen to Un-Go, which dropped from #7 to #9 this week. Inexplicably though, it has an up arrow. So I can understand why there is confusion with the inconsistent use of the arrows.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Science McExpert melted down the reactor as part of the way to fix the broken Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but doing so caused robot girl to take the blame for essentially destroying an entire country, so now Lelouch and his band of wild character designs needs to steal Nagato Yuki back from the Catholic Church, who intend to execute her.

Robot girl's body, along with Spainy McBlondey's silly-shaped sword, are two of the eight Dragon Balls needed to save the world.

All of the historical reproduction and worlds colliding bullshit is pretty much mythology speak for "Everything fell out of space millenia ago, and we tried all sorts of dumb stuff to fix it because no one actually knew anything about the technology that got us there in the first place, so now we're reenacting the entirety of world history according to a magic book that unfortunately blue-screen-of-death'd a while ago, because we would have eventually gotten to the point where we invented space travel".

spoiler[The first season takes place over a course of only 36 hours, and is adapting only the first book of the series.]

How's that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5