• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bleach and/or naruto manga worth to read?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
both manga's are pretty good but i rather watch the anime because the motion. I've been reading the Naruto manga's more than the Bleach because their more into the story. But their both worth buying and reading but you should watch the anime before you read. Very Happy
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit curious as to why the preference of watching the anime first. I saw the Bleach anime before I started to read it as a manga, and I went the opposite direction with Naruto. Granted, it should be noted that as a rule I read more manga than I watch anime, I am of the opinion that each should be enjoyed as an end to its own means. I've read that many mangaka consider the anime adaptations to essentially be a different series anyways.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
molecule wrote:
they both are genric and lowest form of modern shounen..i wont recomend them to anyone except for a new reader..since you are not new you should try fullmetal alchemist,d gary man or one piece..

Recommending One Piece aright after criticizing something for being generic and lowest form of shounen. That's kinda funny...

Naruto's really the only (long running Big Three) shounen I can say I fully enjoy, because unlike Bleach and One Piece, Kishimoto actually has a tangible grasp on storytelling. Can you legitimately tell me when Bleach and One Piece will end, or how far along they are, or where the story will go within the next few arcs? Probably not, but Naruto had a clear halfway point with the timeskip, and it definitely reaching into the final arcs of the series. That's one of the things I liked about it, the story was always there and moving forward.. meanwhile Oda just meanders around doing random things, and Kubo is extremely slow. That's one of the main turn offs I've seen on One Piece, because up until... honestly after Enis Lobby, it's just "Luffy goes to an island, fights a bad guy, and moves on his way to the next Island" Not until the Whitebeard/World Government/etc did it legitimately get interesting to me and start producing a story, and then you step back and realize it took dang near 400 chapters to get there.

Not that Bleach and One Piece are bad (I swear, it's like fans are mandated to pick one and only one series and then trash the others mercilessly) but I found Naruto the most consistent and enjoyable out of the three and never really lost it's focus or felt like it was just screwing around like Bleach and One Piece often do. Plus, out of all of them, Naruto is definitely going to be the first to end and wrap up it's story given the way the manga has been going for awhile now.
dragon master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
I think that you should watch the anime before you read the manga because. The manga's are further into the story than the anime so you should watch up to date episodes of the anime, and if you don't want to wait for the new episode to come out than you can just read the manga of the series. But doing this might spoil the anime seance you already know what happens in the manga. So you should only read the next episode on the anime to keep it interesting.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
molecule wrote:
they both are genric and lowest form of modern shounen..i wont recomend them to anyone except for a new reader..since you are not new you should try fullmetal alchemist,d gary man or one piece..

Recommending One Piece aright after criticizing something for being generic and lowest form of shounen. That's kinda funny...

Naruto's really the only (long running Big Three) shounen I can say I fully enjoy, because unlike Bleach and One Piece, Kishimoto actually has a tangible grasp on storytelling. Can you legitimately tell me when Bleach and One Piece will end, or how far along they are, or where the story will go within the next few arcs? Probably not, but Naruto had a clear halfway point with the timeskip, and it definitely reaching into the final arcs of the series. That's one of the things I liked about it, the story was always there and moving forward.. meanwhile Oda just meanders around doing random things, and Kubo is extremely slow. That's one of the main turn offs I've seen on One Piece, because up until... honestly after Enis Lobby, it's just "Luffy goes to an island, fights a bad guy, and moves on his way to the next Island" Not until the Whitebeard/World Government/etc did it legitimately get interesting to me and start producing a story, and then you step back and realize it took dang near 400 chapters to get there.

Not that Bleach and One Piece are bad (I swear, it's like fans are mandated to pick one and only one series and then trash the others mercilessly) but I found Naruto the most consistent and enjoyable out of the three and never really lost it's focus or felt like it was just screwing around like Bleach and One Piece often do. Plus, out of all of them, Naruto is definitely going to be the first to end and wrap up it's story given the way the manga has been going for awhile now.

One Piece has already passed the halfway point about a year ago, after the time skip.
Also, how does knowing when a series is gonna end have to do with the quality of the story in the first place? Rolling Eyes
Yes, Oda is sort of random when it comes to comedy and slapstick. That's one of the many charms of this series.
Oda's been building up to the Marineford war every since the defeat of Crocodile. He's expanded the world of One Piece by showing of all these big-time important characters and even teased the readers with Whitebeard and Shanks, plus the Ace/Blackbeard fight, which was the trigger for the Whitebeard War saga.
He's been dropping hints and mentions of various subplots that have already appeared in the story or will happen later on down the road.
As for the whole island hopping, what exactly do you expect them to do when 90% of the world is composed of islands?
Do you expect Luffy to just stay in one spot, and just magically become King of the Pirates? Do you expect him to just find the One Piece on just one island?
Sure, they fight an antagonist on almost every area, but it's not like it's the exact same thing every time. Each island is their own set adventure, with their own different situation and circumstances. You're acting like there was never a story in One Piece to begin with.
Makes me wonder how much attention you were paying to the chapters while you were reading it....
As for Naruto, the quality of the series has taken a nosedive since the start of Part 2. Sasuke has been the main focus of the series for nearly 30 volumes now. Minor characters that had more spotlight back in Part 1 have gotten the shaft. The plot hasn't been bad, but it has not lived up to the glory days of Part 1.
As for consistency, don't get me started on the Sharingan/Rinnegan nonsense.
Plus, the current war arc is a complete mess at the moment.
For example: both of the opposing sides have lost exactly, I repeat, exactly half their forces in one day. Naruto is able to create dozens of clones while in Nine Tails mode at will, yet the Eight Tails warned him that if he created any clones, his chakra would be drained quickly and he would end up dying.

While I still do like Naruto, I'm afraid to say that the series isn't as good as it used to be.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I borrow Naruto and Bleach from the library and I'm content with that, I feel no need to financially support the series, and while I do enjoy it, it's just too long for me to collect, as for Bleach I feel the same way and I'm satisfied enough to read the story, write my review for money and take it back.

I'm collecting FMA, and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and XXXHolic, and fortunately, they've both finished, I'm also buying Durarara!! and going to start buying Bloody Monday, I'm not into collecting manga that are eternally long.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Also, how does knowing when a series is gonna end have to do with the quality of the story in the first place?

I'm speaking more pacing and storytelling. For example, in the 7 or so volumes it took to tell Skypiea, all that really came out of it was the introduction of dials and I guess some treasure they got. Things that could only take a chapter or two all things considered if they wanted to. Unless Enel shows up 700 chapters later or something, though I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if he did given Oda's record of doing things like that. I wouldn't really call that foreshadowing, though.

Quote:
Plus, the current war arc is a complete mess at the moment.

The war arc is one thing I love. Naruto's war arc seems to be the best put together one that feels like a legitimate war. One Piece and Bleach's "war arcs" didn't really give me that feeling. Losing a lot of your troops seems like a pretty impactful thing to deal with.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Bleach, no.

Naruto, up to a certain point. Everything post-Pain has been super meh imo with maybe a two week run here and there of quality before descending back into generic shonen meh.

I read both only because I watch the anime, I'm a glutton for spoilers, and I have nothing better to do with my time.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'm speaking more pacing and storytelling. For example, in the 7 or so volumes it took to tell Skypiea, all that really came out of it was the introduction of dials and I guess some treasure they got.

And the introduction of Mantra, spoiler[which was revealed later on to be a form of Haki.]
And we learned that Gold Roger was able to "read" Poneglyphs as well as write in the same language.
And Usopp used those dials you mentioned to modify Nami's Perfect Clima-tact.
Quote:

The war arc is one thing I love. Naruto's war arc seems to be the best put together one that feels like a legitimate war. One Piece and Bleach's "war arcs" didn't really give me that feeling. Losing a lot of your troops seems like a pretty impactful thing to deal with.

The Marineford war and the Fourth Great Ninja War are two completely different types of war arcs with different objectives.
For Marineford, you had the Whitebeard Pirates and their New World allies vs the Marines and the Shichibukai. The main goal of that arc was to rescue Ace from execution.
For the Great Ninja War, you have pretty much the entire Ninja world vs the Akatsuki, with the main goal being to protect the Eight-Tails and Nine-Tails and prevent Tobi's Moon's Eye Plan. With the way things are set up, this arc is most likely going to be the last arc of the series.
For the most part, putting the ridiculous casualty number aside, the Great Ninja war has felt very one-sided in the Allied Shinobis' favor, spoiler[that is until the real Madara Uchiha was awakened.], most of the fights haven't been very amazing or impactful, the Zetsu clones barely pose a threat, and some of the spoiler[revived "zombie" ninjas are being taken out too easily.], and Naruto is attempting to single-handedly protect everyone.
However, since the war is still ongoing, hopefully, it will get better soon.
hidansama92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I think both are worth the read, but both have their down sides

As far as Bleach goes it is very much worth the read, up until spoiler[Aizen is beaten] It starts out EXTREMELY slow but gets bette over time. Things really get good when Byakuya and Renji show up, and stay good until the previous mentioned event. The fullbring arc kinda sucks, but has its good parts, enought to keep me reading every week so I geuss its worth something

As for Naruto it starts kinda slow but gets good much faster than Bleach. As soon as you meet Kakashi things become intresting and stay that way pretty much until the end. After you finish part one I highly recomended Shippuden, it is much better than the original is but requires you to read the first to have any idea whats going on.

In short, Naruto is very much worth it and Bleach is too, for the most part at least.[/code]
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Recently, a friend of mine was complaining that Bleach made no sense to him for a specific reason. He viewed the entire series, after a point, as a quest to spoiler[rescue Rukia. Therefore, once she was indeed rescued, the entire series was 'completed' to him. He thought that the rest of the manga basically had no reason to exist.] I think that this sort of thinking might be why people criticize shounen fighting series so greatly. I guess you have to go into it head first thinking that once a particular quest is completed, no matter how vital it seems to the plot, something else will come along soon enough. It reminds me of how I always say that somehow, even when a character is more powerful than anyone else in the universe, they somehow find someone more powerful.
hidansama92

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Recently, a friend of mine was complaining that Bleach made no sense to him for a specific reason. He viewed the entire series, after a point, as a quest to spoiler[rescue Rukia. Therefore, once she was indeed rescued, the entire series was 'completed' to him. He thought that the rest of the manga basically had no reason to exist.] I think that this sort of thinking might be why people criticize shounen fighting series so greatly. I guess you have to go into it head first thinking that once a particular quest is completed, no matter how vital it seems to the plot, something else will come along soon enough. It reminds me of how I always say that somehow, even when a character is more powerful than anyone else in the universe, they somehow find someone more powerful.

Agreed. That's the basic backbone of just about every Shonen manga, train to kill one guy, then train for a stronger one, then another and another for 500+ chapters
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
I remember someone explaining a used cliche not as something to be offended by, but more so as something that is like home cooking. It's nice to go out for a meal, but that doesn't mean that you can't be comforted by familiar home cooked meals. In the realm of fiction, one can enjoy plenty of very original stories, but that doesn't mean they should have to rob themselves of enjoying something simply if it's been done before. After all, how many Hollywood remakes have been made that end up actually being profitable films?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I remember someone explaining a used cliche not as something to be offended by, but more so as something that is like home cooking. It's nice to go out for a meal, but that doesn't mean that you can't be comforted by familiar home cooked meals. In the realm of fiction, one can enjoy plenty of very original stories, but that doesn't mean they should have to rob themselves of enjoying something simply if it's been done before. After all, how many Hollywood remakes have been made that end up actually being profitable films?

See that would be a good point, but in this case the home cooking is Bleach and it just plain sucks. The problem isn't that Bleach takes cliches from other series, but that Kubo Tite has rehashed the basic plot line of Bleach in every single arc of the manga without actually having any end goal in sight. Kubo has given me absolutely no reason to identify with Ichigo with the exception of the early arc involving Grand Fisher. He wants revenge and at this point in the manga and it's the only time I want him to achieve something.

Other than that Ichigo himself has no worth as a character. He has no life goals, no ambitions, no real desires other than to protect the ones he cares about. The manga is entirely dependent on his inability to protect anybody he cares about and nothing more.

Let's take a at how Bleach has progressed.

1. Ichigo must protect his family from a hollow
2. Ichigo must protect Inoue from her brother who is now a hollow
3. Ichigo must protect Chad from the hollow that is chasing his parakeet
4. Ichigo must protect the city from the hollows that Ishida has called down to Karakura town
5. Ichigo must rescue/protect Rukia from the laws of Soul Society
6. Ichigo must rescue/protect Inoue from whatever plot Aizen has (which was absolutely nothing)
7. Ichigo must protect Karakura Town from Aizen
8. Ichigo must protect Chad/Inoue from Tsukushima
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hidansama92

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
vashna wrote:

See that would be a good point, but in this case the home cooking is Bleach and it just plain sucks. The problem isn't that Bleach takes cliches from other series, but that Kubo Tite has rehashed the basic plot line of Bleach in every single arc of the manga without actually having any end goal in sight. Kubo has given me absolutely no reason to identify with Ichigo with the exception of the early arc involving Grand Fisher. He wants revenge and at this point in the manga and it's the only time I want him to achieve something.

Other than that Ichigo himself has no worth as a character. He has no life goals, no ambitions, no real desires other than to protect the ones he cares about. The manga is entirely dependent on his inability to protect anybody he cares about and nothing more.

Let's take a at how Bleach has progressed.

1. Ichigo must protect his family from a hollow
2. Ichigo must protect Inoue from her brother who is now a hollow
3. Ichigo must protect Chad from the hollow that is chasing his parakeet
4. Ichigo must protect the city from the hollows that Ishida has called down to Karakura town
5. Ichigo must rescue/protect Rukia from the laws of Soul Society
6. Ichigo must rescue/protect Inoue from whatever plot Aizen has (which was absolutely nothing)
7. Ichigo must protect Karakura Town from Aizen
8. Ichigo must protect Chad/Inoue from Tsukushima

Agreed. It sounds like Kubos trying to make Ichigo a Goku, meaning the one that everyone runs to whenever things go down. Problem is Goku's a complete powerhouse and can do theese things, Ichigo's just a kid, and just dosent fit that kind of character he's trying to be. This is why is see more DBZ in Bleach than Naruto, look at Naruto for a minute he set his goal for Hokage and even though he gets sidetracked by Sasuke, he's still trying to acheive his inital goal, similar to Luffy and the King of the Pirates. Still, I love Bleach although it gets worse and worse every week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4