• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight [2005-04-10]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
god that Kumi Koda chick is hot. she was at Kamikazezcon, but i didn't go. Sad

is she really big in japan now?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Dude, you missed an awesome concert! And what she said is true, the kind of dancing she did, definetly a sport.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
god that Kumi Koda chick is hot.

Hello airbrush, hello lighting crew Wink

(edit, wonderful column, people should pay more attention to it beyond generic photoshopped jpop girls who sing generic songs in rehash cashcow games)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
So you do a Ben Dunn interview, yet don't mention that he is behind the Warrior Nun Areala comic as well, one of his most recognized works? For shame.

Other than that gripe, I found myself only clicking on Ben Dunn and Koda Kumi solely on the fact that they have pictures instead of really generic avatars. I dunno, maybe it's just because it's something to pique interest in?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I found myself only clicking on Ben Dunn and Koda Kumi solely on the fact that they have pictures instead of really generic avatars.

Note to self, get pictures more often.

It's kind of a "duh" moment. We already know that we want to put up pictures of the interviewees as often as possible, but this kinda enforces it.

Thanks for the comment.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
I noticed in that Sean Atkins interview that he makes no mention about the infamous Toonami version of Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki. I will hazard a guess it was the slagging he and CN got for that, that Adult Swim was concieved and one of the main reasons they have dropped their in house editing. It had to hurt. Wink
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
It really seemed like the Akins review was really focused on Adult Swim even though he has relatively little to do with AS. He is introduced as the producer for Toonami, but 8 out of 19 questions were specifically about Adult Swim.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Other than that gripe, I found myself only clicking on Ben Dunn and Koda Kumi solely on the fact that they have pictures instead of really generic avatars. I dunno, maybe it's just because it's something to pique interest in?

Sometimes pictures just aren't available. Either by request from the interviewees, or they just don't give us pictures. (In the latter case, we can't just grab a picture from the internet, because of copyright issues.)

edit - Hmmmm.... I tried putting pictures of what they've done, or who they're associated with instead. Does that help at all?

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
It really seemed like the Akins review was really focused on Adult Swim even though he has relatively little to do with AS. He is introduced as the producer for Toonami, but 8 out of 19 questions were specifically about Adult Swim.

Toonami and Adult Swim really go hand in hand. Mr. Akins is the one in charge of deciding what goes and stays on Cartoon Network. With the advent of Adult Swim, he's been able to say, "Okay, we want this mature title, and now we have a place to put it." Just because his job title says one thing doesn't mean he doesn't do other things. However, if the introduction is the gripe, that can be changed.

mohawk52 wrote:
I noticed in that Sean Atkins interview that he makes no mention about the infamous Toonami version of Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki. I will hazard a guess it was the slagging he and CN got for that, that Adult Swim was concieved and one of the main reasons they have dropped their in house editing. It had to hurt. Wink

Well I never really brought it up. It's something that happened quite a few years ago, and it's something that was brought up in the scant few other interviews that have been published with him since then.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
So Cartoon Network is letting Viz edit Naruto?

UH OH!
keichi san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This might be a blonde qustion but I thought Viz unlicsensed Naruto?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
That was an april fools joke.
keichi san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yeah I never did read that. Stupid me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
So Cartoon Network is letting Viz edit Naruto?

UH OH!

But given the track record with letting studios do their own edits, that could go anywhere from minimum edits to overly done edits. I can't help but remember when FLCL and Blue Gender both started at the same time a few years ago on Adult Swim. Synch-Point barely edited FLCL, while Funimation made the choice to go through and remove almost anything related to love, including kissing at some points, plus a lot of blood earlier on. (This was apparently due to a communication error of how edited it was supposed to be.) That being said, yes, I am scared as well, despite the more or less non-editing Naruto has been getting in Shonen Jump.
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Dude, you missed an awesome concert! And what she said is true, the kind of dancing she did, definetly a sport.

Hai, it was an awesome concert! Though, she did have a small wardrobe malfunction, when somthing fell off while she was dancing. (It wasnt anything bad, I just can't quite remember what it was. ^^;Wink

^^// Nice column. (First read for me)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2