• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter Lists Candidates for Akira's Tetsuo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote

I'm glad I can wait till movies go the used DVD store for much cheaper than list and that money will never go to the studios and actors. Looks like I'll wait till this one goes to the used bin.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Is it good or bad that the probable actors are those not yet well-known? Least most don't look too old to be young-adults. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Rami Malek would be a good Tetsuo. I seen him in The Pacific and he was great in that. My second choice would be Alden Ehrenreich just on looks alone.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
*facepalm*

All of these guys are white and they are the primary candidates for playing the main role of a guy name Tetsuo and don't you think it would make them stand out and not in a good way? That Sean Faris guy playing Kyo Kusanagi from that awful King of Fighters movie is already too big to swallow and this one just takes the cake.

You don't find any white guys in real life hanging around with that name around, don't you?

Kristen Stewart getting involved is bad enough already and really, why not just rename all of the characters change the Akira title anyway? It's already mangled beyond repair at this point that hopes of seeing it being good is already going slim.

Really, this project needs to die a very painful death.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Malik is more Middle Eastern, or Indian (no not Native American) than "white", besides it's an American movie, so it doesn't matter anyway. (puts on metal helmet and jumps into trench) Laughing
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
I actually think Paul Dano could pull it off quite well.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Malik is more Middle Eastern, or Indian (no not Native American) than "white", besides it's an American movie, so it doesn't matter anyway. (puts on metal helmet and jumps into trench) Laughing

The US Census considers middle easterners white. =p

Joking aside, I'm glad that it appears this movie is moving along. I have hopes it will turn out well. Smile
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
There was a G.I Joe 2?
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
There's a part of me that's thinking that they're just retaining the original Japanese names for casting purposes and that they'll be renamed once the entire cast is in place. Who knows, maybe Tetsuo will wind up being T.J. once the cameras start rolling?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
If you're old enough to grow a full beard, you're too old to be Tetsuo, a TEENAGER.

Also, no Japanese actors, huge shocker there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Why are people complaining about something they HAVE NOT SEEN YET nor have to see its kinda childish and stupid nobody is forcing any of you to watch this... why bash on it?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Everything doesn't need to be sampled in order to have an opinion. I am sure you do the same whenever you go to a restaurant and from just looking over the menu you know what you won't be ordering despite never having had that particular item. There might be different reasons behind it but the theory is the same.
zerograde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I actually think Paul Dano could pull it off quite well.

I agree. Everyone else seem too old or doesn't have the right look.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully not DJ Cotrona. Waaaaaaaaay too handsome.

I've never seen any of the actors in action (well, I've seen Cotrona, apparently, because I watched Detroit 187 with my mom. Can't for the life of me remember him), but continuing to go straight off of looks, Dano looks more like what Tetuso kinda looks like.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I've (only) seen Dano in Girl Next Door, Little Miss Sunshine, and There Will Be Blood. He can easily play a younger(looking) kid struggling to keep up with his more alpha male peers.

He also plays genuinely dark & crazy well.

He's pretty perfect for the role, IMO, as I know it from the movie.

As others have said, most of the others look way too old or are too good looking (no offense to Dano Anime hyper). Rami Malek played crazy real well in The Pacific, but I don't think he has the built in underdog look or inherent likeability that Dano has necessary to really sympathize with the character when he starts to lose it.

Here's hoping Dano gets the role and Kristen Stewart's name becomes disassociated with the project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2