• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erementar Gerad Licensed by Geneon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
My theroy on this, ADV sold the licence to Geneon. ADV may have felt that the title wouldn't sell for them.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
That'd be the only reason I could see, but then it doesn't really fit with the way ADV acts. They've just been licensing things in bulk lately, seemingly oblivious to demand or lack there of. Maybe their financial troubles are playing a part in this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
That'd be the only reason I could see, but then it doesn't really fit with the way ADV acts. They've just been licensing things in bulk lately, seemingly oblivious to demand or lack there of. Maybe their financial troubles are playing a part in this.

I've got no complaints though. In fact, their random liscensing has given me some fun yet obscure releases such as the Rockman/Megaman OVAs, something I never would have expected to see released here.

Fun stuff. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ADV probably only had the international rights, and Geneon got the domestic rights.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Geneon will alter the painfully Engrish title when it's brought to the states.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
ha ha... that's what makes it so great! Wow, I didn't realize this series had been licensed way back when. No woner nobody has talked about seeing any of the episodes.
MasterZaffro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:20 am Reply with quote
My theory is this is one of those co-productions between FUNimation, ADV, and Geneon. That would make sense.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
ha ha... that's what makes it so great! Wow, I didn't realize this series had been licensed way back when. No woner nobody has talked about seeing any of the episodes.

I actually did see the first episode. Pretty RPG-ish setup though it's one of those series I rather see on Toonami or something since I don't have the will to get more episodes. Confused

Though Cisqua looks like Sakura from CCS with big guns. Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
MasterZaffro wrote:
My theory is this is one of those co-productions between FUNimation, ADV, and Geneon. That would make sense.

Nope, production on this show was announced loooong before Geneon, ADV and FUNimation signed their little agreement. So far absolutely nothing has come from that...

As for why Geneon got it, I've asked, but people either don't know, or aren't saying (probably a bit of both), so all I can do is speculate.

-t
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
I wonder if Geneon will alter the painfully Engrish title when it's brought to the states.

I think it's rather cool. I mean, it IS a fantasy story and most fantasy do have made up names and all. I really don't see the problem. =\

I have already watched episode 3 of the series and it's getting more interesting. I wonder when they're going to reach volume 7 of the manga. O_o
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
i was wondering, so ADV licensed it before it even aired in Japan? cause the raws are coming out like it's a new anime, and then Geneon picks up after it airs? i'm so confused Question
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
mrhomiec wrote:
i was wondering, so ADV licensed it before it even aired in Japan? cause the raws are coming out like it's a new anime, and then Geneon picks up after it airs? i'm so confused Question

Yeah, ADV had rights to EG before it aired, which is becoming quite original now. It's like Geneon already owning Tenjo Tenge since episode 1.
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
mrhomiec wrote:

Yeah, ADV had rights to EG before it aired, which is becoming quite original now. It's like Geneon already owning Tenjo Tenge since episode 1.

Well, I think it was ADV that actually provides financial assistant for up to half of an anime's production costs on some series. I'm sure this comes with the benefit of licensing it in the US and other countries.
TonytheMan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Erufu wrote:

I actually did see the first episode. Pretty RPG-ish setup though it's one of those series I rather see on Toonami or something since I don't have the will to get more episodes. Confused

Though Cisqua looks like Sakura from CCS with big guns. Rolling Eyes

Just finished the series, it's alot better than expected though. Worth the money/time i say
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1