• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight [2005-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
Quote:
I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them.

Oh yeah, because ADV, Geneon, Bandai, etc. are really failing for not doing what you do. Rolling Eyes

Actually the smaller folk can do much better. 4kids makes far more money than ADV, Geneon, Bandai, etc, for many reasons found in that article. There method of hacking up anime and releasing it to an audience that has no idea has proven quite successful.

Of course it didn't do well for all thier stuff. But all they need is a few hits and the misses will be distant memories.

Last edited by Isaaru on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
This may surprise you to hear, but the MAIN MARKET for the shows that 4Kids licenses and airs... is NOT a bunch of nerdy otaku. . . .You're all wrong. You people argue and argue like you know the market better than the CEO of a 2 billion dollar company, and it's ridiculous. . . . He has sales figures, you don't. The end.

I love you. <3 <3 <3

Some people aren't as fanatical as some of you are. My 54 year old father watches One Piece regularly and was watching GitS:SAC and FMA. I'd also like to add that he can't really tell anime from US animation now, and he really doesn't care. As for me, I'm almost 20 and I've been a fan of the "medium" for 5 years. Until the summer, all the anime I watched was on television. It's only know that I've found fansubs and bought DVD's. Heck, this year was the first time I've been to an anime convention.

So you see? Not all rationally thinking anime fans are a veritable "Comic Book Guy." This is such a thing as a casual fan.

Last edited by Joe Mello on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
So the director of Yugioh did Speed Grapher!? That worries me, quite a bit seeing how Yugioh was awful, and Speed Grapher looks cool.

I watched the first ep. of Speed Grapher, & I think it could be a very interesting series. It is dealing with issues we face today (America is dealing with some of the same issues as Japan, particularly when it comes to the economy. A lot of people are being left behind economically in both countries). It *is* weird that the same guy who works on Speed Grapher has also been associated with Yugioh, but I guess he likes to do different kinds of shows.

Tammy
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

What irritates me about Kahn is how stuck-up he is. He keeps talking about "the masses" like they have the collective intellegence of jello mold-we have to change this, cut this, rewrite that, because "the masses" would riot in the streets if their dull, puny brains were confronted with the idea that people from Japan have different-sounding names.

This may surprise you to hear, but the MAIN MARKET for the shows that 4Kids licenses and airs... is NOT a bunch of nerdy otaku. People keep assuming that anime fans buy tons of DVDs, and that several thousands of fans buy each uncut DVD, and companies like ADV and Bandai are on the same financial footing as 4Kids. You're all wrong. You people argue and argue like you know the market better than the CEO of a 2 billion dollar company, and it's ridiculous. You assume that the North American anime market is huge and wildly successful and each DVDs sells tens of thousands of copies, when you could'nt be further from the truth. He has sales figures, you don't. The end.

Hey, were not all like that.

And I for one would like to give Mr. Kahn some appreciation for taking the time to talk to ANN. He didn't have to, as i can see the "nerdy otakus" are not his bread and butter. I found his answers and views from the other side informative and glad they didn't read "no comment."

But I am not a fan of 4 kids edits either, simply because they are not marketed torwards me. However, if 4kids releases uncut anime at reasonable prices on DVD, i will give em a chance.

And ANN deserves a hand for making this possible. The 4kids chairman would never answer these questions at any anime convention. The otakus would kill him before he could speak.

Thank you!
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
What exactly is a "Unit Director," anyway?

You know, I was actually wondering the same thing. I've never encountered this particular job title before, except in live action film. There are Unit Directors who shoot secondary scenes for a film while the main director is preoccupied with something else. I imagine it's the same for an animation, although I would assume that job falls under the category of an "animation director." Confused All the jobs I've worked have been under an animation director or a production manager. I have yet to meet the director of any piece I've been part of the production team on (except my own work, of course).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
A unit director is obviously a director of length one. Wink

This is what Wikipedia gave me.

For Second Unit Director, Wikipedia wrote:
The Second Unit Director is the leader of the second unit, which is the smaller of the 2 units used on almost every modern large-scale film production. This director is often responsible for minor shots, such as the establishing shot. Occasionally, the Second Unit Director will direct more important sequences, especially in action movies, which often involve lots of explosions and special effects

For Second Unit, Wikipedia wrote:
In film, the second unit is a separate team that shoots footage which is of lesser importance for the final motion picture, as opposed to the first unit, which shoots all scenes involving actors, or at least the stars of the film.

So I would assume that in animation, the unit director is basically similar.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alfred R. Khan wrote:
We expect every series we license to be released in its original form.

Somehow, I doubt we'll ever be seeing "Pokemon: Uncut and Totally Original!"

Mr. Khan came off as somewhat arrogant in that interview, as if he was expecting a fight or accusation from the moment he began talking. But after years of "OMFG 4KIDS IS TEH SUCK!!!1!!" who can blame him?

Joe Mello wrote:
I think there are two reasons why the uncut DVD's aren't a big sell. The first is the negative connotation that comes with being an uncut DVD. Some parents will think "Uncut?! Blood and violence and Communism! Oh noes!"

Do you simply exude funny comments? Laughing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
You find them funny? You sad, sad, person.

In also seriousness, Mr. Khan had a right to be defensive. Look who ANN "represents" (keep in mind that who he thinks ANN represents and who is really represented are probably very different.) Plus, he's a CEO. You think he's just going to answer everything openly?

I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the interview was something he "had" to do as opposed to something he should do.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Completely uninteresting, tangential nitpick follows:

In the interview with Mr. Sugishima, it's Frank Frazetta that was his artistic inspiration.

/nitpick Cool
SaWa is Here

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So the director of Yugioh did Speed Grapher!? That worries me, quite a bit seeing how Yugioh was awful, and Speed Grapher looks cool.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is mainly the adaptation of Kazuki Takahashi's Manga, so the director really didn't do much except Make the Manga move.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

And ANN deserves a hand for making this possible. The 4kids chairman would never answer these questions at any anime convention. The otakus would kill him before he could speak.

I'd pay money to see that. Twisted Evil
drakh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
What exactly is a "Unit Director," anyway?

I seems to be the same job that gets translated as "Episode Director" or "Technical Director" elsewhere. I'd guess it's someone who supervises the team/"unit" working on a specific episode.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Dang, I wish each interview had its own thread.

Anyway, I needed to check out the interview with the director of Speed Grapher. Nothing really big revelaed, but it was a nice interview and got to know the director some.

I checked out the first ep of Speed Grapher online and I'm hoooking. I couldn't wait for ep 2. Now I can't wait for ep 3. Haven't been this excited about a show in a long time. This looks to be one of those series that is a definate buy, maybe even as soon as it comes out in the US. It's very good. It's also very messed up and leads me to yell "WTF?!" a couple times an ep.

As for the 4kids CEO interview, wow, he's not shy about admiting moichendizing (Yes! Moichendizing) is top priority. As for the editing, it's not fully their fault. I think the extreme censorship climate we're in now it terrible. I think we're going the opposite way of how we should go. If anything, after 9/11, kids should be exposed to MORE death rather than sticking their heads in this happy littke sand world. Hell, my playing with GI Joes were more violent and death filled than the cartoon. Hell, they world we're living in is getting more violent, yet the cartoons are getting more hippy peacenik filled.

-Xenos
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
As for the 4kids CEO interview, wow, he's not shy about admiting moichendizing (Yes! Moichendizing) is top priority. As for the editing, it's not fully their fault. I think the extreme censorship climate we're in now it terrible. I think we're going the opposite way of how we should go. If anything, after 9/11, kids should be exposed to MORE death rather than sticking their heads in this happy littke sand world. Hell, my playing with GI Joes were more violent and death filled than the cartoon. Hell, they world we're living in is getting more violent, yet the cartoons are getting more hippy peacenik filled.

I believe that kids should be allowed to be kids for a reasonable ammount of time. Of course, sheilding them from the outside world and educating them about the outside world more often than not clashes, and the priorities of parents to their children are their own in that regard. However, 4Kids, nor any other children's entertainment company should not force children into any "cold, hard reality" type of situation, usually when those sorts of things are left for parent's to explain.

See, there's a lot of people who say "don't rely on TV to be a babysitter, be a better parent ra ra ra", and they're a polar opposite of the people who want their kids to enjoy their shows as kids shows. We simply have different standards than Japan in that regard.
chono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I read about Speed Grapher in Anime Insider #21 (p. 26), and it sounds like a very intreging series. There aren't that many anime in the mystery genre that I'm aware of - the only ones that I've seen were the underated Spiral and the overated Dectective Conan - so another mystery series is perfect. Speed Grapher is one of the three new Studio Gonzo titles that was featured in the AI article (the others are Trinity Blood and Basilisk).

Bamboo, you're not the only one who's looking forward to uncut One Piece - I am too (although I don't bash 4Kids as much as most of the forum users here Wink ).

just dowload the the real one piece dont give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6