• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Isao Takahata's Panda! Go Panda! Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I used to have this on tape. It's a really cute kids cartoon. I might pick it up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This looks cute. Since this was previously released by Geneon, I wonder if Discotek will re-release more Geneon titles (like Dog of Flanders movie? I'd love them forever if they did that)?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Our Optimum Asia released this on R2 DVD back in '08. It's a fine example of the Miyazaki/Takahata team craftsmenship when they were both in their early working careers. Watching this you can see plenty of inspirations for future Ghibli classics.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Only Discotek seems to take the risk of tackling older titles. They have my applause.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Are they going to keep the dub?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
It's a fun little short, but I only wish I had gotten mine autographed by Takahata when he was in L.A. Of course, I didn't know he was doing autographs in the first place...That was especially nice of him, too, because he had just gone down to Hollywood right after landing at LAX, and it's supposed to be his tribute.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES! Finally I can see this. Glad to see this get a re-release. Discotek may need to update their site so that people can know when some of their acquisitions are coming out. The Unico films still haven't been confirmed yet for a released date.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek Media:this will have both movies panda go panda and rainy day circus

from their Facebook.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Heh, looks like a big ol' panda Totoro. Might check this out, Would love it if Discotek would pick up Sherlock Hound too.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
I too agree that Sherlock Hound should get licensed by Discotek since they already licensed a handful of earlier Miyazaki and Takahata involved anime. Until then I'm keeping my rare six volume DVD set.

Panda Go Panda wasn't my all time favorite, but I still appreciate it since it had elements later used in later Miyazaki works, like how the Papa Panda is a prototype of Totoro hinting the large smile he makes.

It seems Discotek gets more awesome every year. I still need to buy the other Discotek DVDs on my to get list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1