• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys "Manga"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I saw these when my brother dragged me to the comic book store a few weeks ago. They look kind of interesting but I wouldn't spend the money on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Nancy Drew = suck.

Hardy Boys = suck.

Zorro = ROCK. XD I love Zorro.

I'm at least happy that the artists tried to create something of their own style. It's not perfect, but better than some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"We’re not trying to imitate Japanese-style stories. We’re using the manga style because that’s what kids know. We’re trying to capitalize on the fact that kids are coming back to comic books in significant numbers.”
Well that's good to hear. But, as slickwataris said, I wouldn't spend money on them.
VML

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
So basically they are saying they are trying to attract more readers by using manga style.

The Zorro comics look interesting and I like how the Hardy Boys comic looks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Geoffrey No Jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
the bright side is: artists are able to actually work. that's always a good thing. i just wish the cost of comics in general would fall a little so they become sort of affordable again. i bought the 1st 4-issue TPB for INVINCIBLE and it was $13! I realize that there aren't ads in comics really anymore, but that's still a REALLY high price in my opinion. i dunno why i went off on that rant. sorry Anime hyper
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for The Hardy Boys and the Mystery of the Giant Transforming Lighthouse.

Sorry. I know it was stupid, but I couldn't help myself.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Quote:
"We’re not trying to imitate Japanese-style stories. We’re using the manga style because that’s what kids know. We’re trying to capitalize on the fact that kids are coming back to comic books in significant numbers.”
Well that's good to hear. But, as slickwataris said, I wouldn't spend money on them.

The only way I can interpret a quote like that is in this way:

"We’re not trying to imitate Japanese-style stories." = Obligatory statement to make their manga seem unique

"We’re using the manga style because that’s what kids know." = Manga is really popular with the kids, so we'll do it too.

"We’re trying to capitalize on the fact that kids are coming back to comic books in significant numbers." = Kids are buying lots of manga comics, so giving our products the manga treatment will mean they will buy our comics too.

If you're going to go through the effort of doing the manga look, follow up with a manga storyline. Maybe I'm just too jaded, though. Manga-styled Zorro would probably rock.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
This is all marketing, though. If you go and look at some of the sample pages on their site, I think that these comics look more 'American' style than manga-stylized. They're blatantly just trying to sell their stuff. At least they're honest about it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
As someone who collects Hardy Boys novels (I grew up reading the books, and The Sinister Signpost remains my favorite) I can say that this is a bad step.

The original novels are what kids need to reconnect with, not some dressed up caricatures of the stories.
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
So, here are the steps they are taking.

1. take stories from books that kids don't read anymore
2. illustrate them to no end getting comic panels
3. slap the unread stories onto the pages (remember, they won't realize they're recycled!)
4. flip it backwards so that all the execs can't figure out how to read them
5. put them on bookshelves where they will automatically sell because kids will see they open up the opposite of how they are supposed to and say, "Oh, cool! I have to have this!"

Well, I couldn't help myself. Basically, all they are doing is making graphic novels, which Americans have done before, and flipping them around so they will "blend in" with the popular manga.

It's still hard for me to grasp how many people read manga. The other day, I saw 3 girls that were "preps" buying manga at Waldens. When I was in high school, girls like that wouldn't even be caught dead knowing what manga was all about it.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:

4. flip it backwards so that all the execs can't figure out how to read them
5. put them on bookshelves where they will automatically sell because kids will see they open up the opposite of how they are supposed to and say, "Oh, cool! I have to have this!"

Well, I couldn't help myself. Basically, all they are doing is making graphic novels, which Americans have done before, and flipping them around so they will "blend in" with the popular manga.

There's no flipping involved. That would be just stupid.
They trying to "emulate" Wink the manga art style, not the packaging.
j_wong00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
I see this as another attempt at a cash-grab. Seeing how manga is quite trendy in NA it's not surpirising.

Not there's anything wrong with making money, but I'd rather them have good writing over artwork/style emulation.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Geoffrey No Jutsu wrote:
the bright side is: artists are able to actually work. that's always a good thing. i just wish the cost of comics in general would fall a little so they become sort of affordable again. i bought the 1st 4-issue TPB for INVINCIBLE and it was $13! I realize that there aren't ads in comics really anymore, but that's still a REALLY high price in my opinion. i dunno why i went off on that rant. sorry Anime hyper

To me, Invincible, and other good comics are worth that price. The monthlies are ungodly expensive and I know I should wait for trades though.

As for the price of even trades, you must consider that color printing is somewhat more expensive. Then again Marvel has been experimenting with digest formats for TPBs with stuff like Runaways and some of their Marvel Age books.

-Xenos
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quote
May the Bastardization of American Literature and Japan's Primary artform begin.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to see why ANN thinks this is new news...

Newsarama article

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2