Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight [2005-04-24]


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steventheeunuch





PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:
tempest wrote:
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And I've lost respect in you for not being able to write proper English.

ANN isn't going to limit ourselves to interviewing people our readers like (for that matter, many of our readers like 4Kids), we're going to interview anyone who is interesting. The more polarized opinions are on a particular individual, the more interesting an interview is.

Grow up.

-t


i think none of your readers like 4Kids
i mean they have done nothing good all they do is kill good anime
if 4Kids died no one and i mean no one would be sad
and for good reason. because they suck
i was not dissin ANN i was just saying if that i interviwed al khan i would have been more direct and say things like "why do you kill shows and why are you racist"but i know if ANN did that they would lose there respect in the anime communtity
and also i would beat the living daylights out off al khan anyway Very Happy


Stop posting, please. Regardless of your opinions on their treatment of animation, keep in mind that these shows are primarily seen as a vessel for high-scale merchandising. THey're made to sell toys, cards, bubblegum, games and videos to their intended audience, and the Anime will be changed if it is deemed suitable to increase chances of it.

He mentioned this in the interview, and yeah, while there is a gaping hole where the uncut releases should be, atleast he is being honest about it. I worded the questions in such a way so that no one is offended.

Also, beating the living daylights for censoring a CHILDREN'S CARTOON? Really, how low can you go?
Back to top
chono



Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
chono wrote:
tempest wrote:
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And I've lost respect in you for not being able to write proper English.

ANN isn't going to limit ourselves to interviewing people our readers like (for that matter, many of our readers like 4Kids), we're going to interview anyone who is interesting. The more polarized opinions are on a particular individual, the more interesting an interview is.

Grow up.

-t


i think none of your readers like 4Kids
i mean they have done nothing good all they do is kill good anime
if 4Kids died no one and i mean no one would be sad
and for good reason. because they suck
i was not dissin ANN i was just saying if that i interviwed al khan i would have been more direct and say things like "why do you kill shows and why are you racist"but i know if ANN did that they would lose there respect in the anime communtity
and also i would beat the living daylights out off al khan anyway Very Happy


Stop posting, please. Regardless of your opinions on their treatment of animation, keep in mind that these shows are primarily seen as a vessel for high-scale merchandising. THey're made to sell toys, cards, bubblegum, games and videos to their intended audience, and the Anime will be changed if it is deemed suitable to increase chances of it.

He mentioned this in the interview, and yeah, while there is a gaping hole where the uncut releases should be, atleast he is being honest about it. I worded the questions in such a way so that no one is offended.

Also, beating the living daylights for censoring a CHILDREN'S CARTOON? Really, how low can you go?


i was only joking about beating him up
i am sick of pepole sticking up for 4Kids
give me one good reason on why they are good for anime
they do nothing postive face the facts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steventheeunuch





PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:

i am sick of pepole sticking up for 4Kids
give me one good reason on why they are good for anime
they do nothing postive face the facts


They aren't good for ANime, but then again their intended target audience is NOT Anime fans. It's Children, it always has been. Their positives and negatives are all dependant on who you are. I don't stick up for their editing in an artistic sense, nor a perosnal one, but I can see why they would do it, and for that I can understand. Beleive it or not, simply because you are a fan who watches the original Japanese version of an ANime DOESN'T mean your fanbase is the sole heir of anything from Japan.
Back to top
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1175
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
chono wrote:

give me one good reason on why they are good for anime


Okay.

Before Pokemon and Yugioh, the prospect of anime on television, or anime as the basis for a franchise in North America, was pretty much dismissed by almost everyone. After those two phenomonal success, companies everywhere are seeing anime as a potential profit source. Which means more anime gets liscnced. More anime gets translated. More anime gets put on TV, and not just edited, either. And that means more money for the Japanese production companies, which means more and higher-quality anime gets made. Reguardless of how we feel about 4Kids' treatment of those properties, the fact is that anime industry in North America wouldn't be what it was today without the success of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh (and to a lesser extent, Shaman King.)

There you go. Now leave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Laruto



Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
chono wrote:

give me one good reason on why they are good for anime


Okay.

Before Pokemon and Yugioh, the prospect of anime on television, or anime as the basis for a franchise in North America, was pretty much dismissed by almost everyone. After those two phenomonal success, companies everywhere are seeing anime as a potential profit source. Which means more anime gets liscnced. More anime gets translated. More anime gets put on TV, and not just edited, either. And that means more money for the Japanese production companies, which means more and higher-quality anime gets made. Reguardless of how we feel about 4Kids' treatment of those properties, the fact is that anime industry in North America wouldn't be what it was today without the success of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh (and to a lesser extent, Shaman King.)

There you go. Now leave.


BURRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! to the next degree, you sure let him have it Wyvern, remind never to get you upset!

But any way Koodles Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chono



Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
chono wrote:

give me one good reason on why they are good for anime


Okay.

Before Pokemon and Yugioh, the prospect of anime on television, or anime as the basis for a franchise in North America, was pretty much dismissed by almost everyone. After those two phenomonal success, companies everywhere are seeing anime as a potential profit source. Which means more anime gets liscnced. More anime gets translated. More anime gets put on TV, and not just edited, either. And that means more money for the Japanese production companies, which means more and higher-quality anime gets made. Reguardless of how we feel about 4Kids' treatment of those properties, the fact is that anime industry in North America wouldn't be what it was today without the success of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh (and to a lesser extent, Shaman King.)

There you go. Now leave.


wrong

they made the shows worse
why is everyone sticking up for 4Kids
they killed one piece with the money they have
you never proved me wrong
4Kids are saying bad dubs are good
you just showed to me Wyvern that your no anime fan if you find good in 4Kids

lartuo you know nothing

now both of you go leave

oh and tempest and steven.. i will "grow up" when you two find real jobs

whos burning now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steventheeunuch





PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:08 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:


wrong

they made the shows worse
why is everyone sticking up for 4Kids
they killed one piece with the money they have
you never proved me wrong
4Kids are saying bad dubs are good
you just showed to me Wyvern that your no anime fan if you find good in 4Kids

lartuo you know nothing

now both of you go leave

oh and tempest and steven.. i will "grow up" when you two find real jobs

whos burning now


Rolling Eyes Okay, so let's get this straight-

You get an answer to a question you asked. The answer is a bit loose but generally, it's acceptable and pretty decent. It isn't what you want to hear, so you say it's wrong. You then go on to say defending 4Kids with actual justification is wrong, and then tell two people that they aren't Anime fans because they think differently from you. Then you tell them to go away. IN YOUR FIRST FOUR POSTS. Then you go and make a gross assumption about Tempest and I, given that we both have real, paying jobs (I did it because it seemed like a fun thing to do).

I don;t think anyone here is going to be leaving except for you. We don't want your respect, we don't want you here, NO one wants you here. Go troll some other forum that still doesn't want you.
Back to top
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:
oh and tempest and steven.. i will "grow up" when you two find real jobs

whos burning now


chono, you obviously don't know who tempest is - the Editor-in-Chief of ANN. He's the one person you do NOT want to mess with.

You just written you own epitaph, dude! Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:

they killed one piece with the money they have
you never proved me wrong
4Kids are saying bad dubs are good
you just showed to me Wyvern that your no anime fan if you find good in 4Kids

lartuo you know nothing

now both of you go leave

oh and tempest and steven.. i will "grow up" when you two find real jobs

whos burning now


This is the most absurd thing I've read all year. You, sir, are the epitome of rude and immature. Just because someone argued against you doesn't make them automatically wrong. And for the record, Tempest and Steven *do* have real jobs. Way to be an assumptious prick.

Now, I don't know who's burning now, but I'm banning now, so you know what? Leave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2090
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This is about the 3rd time in this thread that I've proclaimed my undying adoration for Sakechan. ^__^

chono
April 25 2005-April 28 2005
A new record?

Anyway, I believe before the flames broke out, we were discussing the role of television as a parenting substitute (which it shouldn't be) or something related.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4351
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it's a record, if you take into account the bannings of those people who registered just to spam or troll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This is about the 3rd time in this thread that I've proclaimed my undying adoration for Sakechan. ^__^


Awwww.. Very Happy

Quote:

Anyway, I believe before the flames broke out, we were discussing the role of television as a parenting substitute (which it shouldn't be) or something related.


It isn't even just television as a parenting substitute, either. Nowadays, I feel like parents are less and less willing to take responsibility for their children. Maybe it was because I grew up in a strict 1st-gen Asian family, but my parents took a very active role in my childhood. They would sit next to me and teach me things I didn't understand, scold me when I did poorly at something, and in general, just coach me throughout the rigors of my childhood.

Nowadays, you have parents who are quick to point fingers at everyone but themselves. If their children do poorly in school, they blame it on the teachers or the school, when it's their responsibility to make sure their kids do their homework. and their responsibility to teach the kids the things they don't understand outside of the classroom. If their child sees something bad on TV, they blame it on the network or the government, rather than knowing that they should've been there to monitor what their kids were watching. AND, my personal pet peeve, they're quick to scold people who drive anywhere above 5MPH in neighborhoods, just because they can't be bothered to tell their kids to stay out of the damned street.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that in the case of TV, it's not up to the networks to say, "Well, you should be watching your kids! We're going to air whatever the hell we want; your kids are old enough to watch it." If they did that, they'd be firing execs left and right until it stopped. Networks have to pander to the people consuming their product, and that's the kids, and the asinine parents who are willing to sue or drive anyone out of business who dares disrupt their false ideal of a perfect suburban life.

It's bloody stupid, and everyone knows that. But honestly, I don't think the 4kids execs are sitting on their asses thinking, "Man, who can we piss off today?! Let's buy lots of stuff and hack it to bits!" They kind of don't have a choice. Honestly, I dont' like that they hack up anime either, it's beyond me why they can't do simultaneous releases, and I think changing music, of all things, is a waste of money (backed with reasoning that, from my point of view, doesn't seem to make any sense). But if they only licensed anime and sold it to anime fans, they'd go broke. I'd wager to say that out of every 100 kids who screams "I WANT YUGIOH UNCUT," only 5 of them would actually buy the DVDs. The rest would either make up some excuse, say they'll buy it later when they have the money, or settle back down thinking that out there, there's enough people buying each product to keep the industry alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2090
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
This is about the 3rd time in this thread that I've proclaimed my undying adoration for Sakechan. ^__^


Awwww.. Very Happy


Well, now that I kinda know what you look like (I saw you at the Bandai panel @ Katsucon. It also helped that you were pointed out.) I could give you a big hug the next time we meet. ^__^

Anyway, you're right, and it's unfortunate. The whole "butchering" thing is probably a matter of deciding where 4Kids wants its money to go, whether they want to pay their own people, or (especially with music) pay royalties to someone else.

It's definitely a "need" and not a "want" to over-localize, because as a wise man once said, "No one's ever gotten rich overestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Oh, and some possible insight about finger-pointing parents: Didn't we just come out of the "Me" Generation?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8193
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Oh, and some possible insight about finger-pointing parents: Didn't we just come out of the "Me" Generation?
Not quite. Now we have to deal with the "me" generation's offspring. They're called "I want it all, and I want it now." Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2090
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm just thinking that if all these parents are of the "Me" generation, that could explain the mentality of "I can't possibly be a bad parent, so it must be someone else's fault." Of course, nobody likes to be shown to be imperfect.

Technological Determinists are morons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group