• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online DVD Rental Outlets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moon1315

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I belong to both anime take out and rentanime.com. Personaly I like animetakeout better but I stay with rentanime because of the hentai. With animetakeout you know when your dvds are going to be avaliable and they all come in one shippment which is a lot faster. I seem to have a quicker turn around rate with animetakeout. But there are different titles on both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been using Netflix and love it. I have the 7 at a time plan and they have really fast turnaround times for me, usually 2 days after I drop it in the mailbox I have a new DVD in hand, although sometimes it's longer because titles I request aren't availalbe from my local hub, and I've had things shipped frm as far away as CA, and it's only taken 1 extra day. Most of their anime seems to be the more popular titles, but that's what I've been watching lately. However if I find something I really like and Netflix only has a couple of the discs in the series I may consider trying one of the other listed services. I have about 500 movies in m y rental queue right now, all anime, so I think I'll be set for a bit. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Anyone here know of a site to get movies, games and anime? I enjoy all of these and my current financial situation will not allow me to join three rental. I looked into gameznflix.com which looks alright I guess, has anyone join this???
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyone here know of a site to get movies, games and anime?

Someone mentioned Blockbuster ( www.blockbuster.com ), but there anime selection is pretty small (500 last count).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
Yea I was looking into blockbuster but there anime selection is pretty bad at best, oh well I will just keep looking. Does your local blockbuster even carry anime? The only ones would be GITS, GITS2, Tokyo Godfathers, and Spirted Away. Perhaps I will just join like a netflicks and gamefly, and do my best to balance my budget.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Does your local blockbuster even carry anime? The only ones would be GITS, GITS2, Tokyo Godfathers, and Spirted Away. Perhaps I will just join like a netflicks and gamefly, and do my best to balance my budget.

I've been to my local Blockbuster a couple of times, and the only anime they have are the ones you mentioned. I haven't rented anything form Blockbuster in years.

I'm thinking about joining Netflix in the near future. I'm a little disturbed that rentanime.com is getting a bit slow with the newer anime releases like Gantz and Slam Dunk. Sad
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yea I was looking into blockbuster but there anime selection is pretty bad at best, oh well I will just keep looking. Does your local blockbuster even carry anime? The only ones would be GITS, GITS2, Tokyo Godfathers, and Spirted Away. Perhaps I will just join like a netflicks and gamefly, and do my best to balance my budget.

The Blockbuster that I work at has about 50 anime titles, with more to come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Well for me, Netflix seems to be working absolutely fine. It's cheaper than the other online rental services, and all my DVDs (anime or not) arrive within 2 days.

Recently, Netflix has been getting better at acquiring newer or more obscure anime titles for rent.
madlib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
madaudet03 wrote:
Personally i use netflix and I love it. I have five out at a time for 26 bucks a month about a one day turnaround.
They have obscure crappy b movies which i love and are hard to find and never worth buying. and most of the new anime titles. no older stuff same as all these other sites.
little more mainstream yes but only for anime. and they do take requests suposedly.
they carry most of the collections complete exept gundam wing i still haven't seen past the fith disk. but hey nobodys perfect.
i've been with them for less than a year and already rented more than 400 movies. I have a que over 200 titles long its great and probably saves me thousands.

the convenience of online renting is awesome and it's probably saved me a lot of money, too. you are right--it's more mainstream for anime, but i can deal with that for rentals.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi All;
First post here. I subscribe to Netflix. And over the past 3 years that I have been a member, the anime selection has gotten so much better.

They do slow down shipping your titles requested, if you are a heavy viewer. Just read that in the news the other week. Had to admit to that in a lawsuit. Anyway, now I am up to the 8 out at a time, and maybe I am finally getting more titles than I can watch, almost, maybe. I do have 2 months backlog to watch.

What really has made me happy was having my old DVD player bite the dust! My new player is wonderful. I don't have to time how long to FF, I don't like credits much, certainly not over and over and over and over. Just push "Next" now. Love it!

Been somewhat afraid to listen to the original dialog, and read the subtitles, think I am going to miss something as I am busy reading. Oh no! I must be an average American! But I am going to try to listen. But, how many of you know Japanese, and are just fine tuning your language skills?

Thank you for your time.

Jay
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Update to my last post.

I am getting some anime titles from Cleveland and Miami. I live in Oregon. Guess my state is not big on anime, or I am watching things too fast, even though I upped my subscription to 8 at a time.
canebronco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
moon1315 wrote:
I belong to both anime take out and rentanime.com. Personaly I like animetakeout better but I stay with rentanime because of the hentai. With animetakeout you know when your dvds are going to be avaliable and they all come in one shippment which is a lot faster. I seem to have a quicker turn around rate with animetakeout. But there are different titles on both.

OK, I know the thread is kinda old...but I gotta put my 2 cents in on this topic. I'm also with animetakeout and rentanime right now. The situation with animetakeout is great. Like moon said, you can get a better idea of when the titles will be available. Also with the advance return and series watch that'll add new titles automatically of new series, it is definatley worth the money. I'm on the 10 at a time with them right now.

My issue is rentanime...this company is not very understanding of problems that can arise with customers who are serving in the military and stationed in Iraq. There are occasions that mail gets delayed, which has happened to a few titles I've rented from them. I'll usually wait for a month before I actually bother letting them know. There hasn't ever been a title that I haven't gotten, it's just that military mail isn't that dependable sometimes. I've always sent them back within a couple of days once I actually do get them. But because there have been the few titles that take more than a month to get to me, they decided to tell me that I'm "high risk" and refuse to send me any more DVD's.

In a nutshell...any company that is not willing to work with or be understanding of the situation that our soldiers are in when they are deployed overseas is NOT worth associating with. I'm going to be cancelling my account with them within the next week (once I'm stateside and don't have to pay 35 cents a minute for phone). I just needed to vent some of this, and recommend that people not go to rentanime. Just my opinion of course...I know some probably never had a problem with them. Thanks for listening though lol. Anime smile

Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second, this doesn't sound like something we'd do, have you tried letting us know the situation? The problem may be that we're dealing with thousands of customers, and it's simply procedure to shut down an account once enough titles have been reported as missing. We ship to APO/FPO customers all the time, and have a lot of overseas military customers. I'd be surprised to learn that our customer service reps didn't accomodate you if the situation was explained. If this isn't the case let me know.

Military mail piles up at a couple locations in the country until either there's enough to send to a particular destination, or until it reaches a time limit (of around 30 days I think). We end up with a lot of delays in the military mail system, and have to explain to a lot of customers that once the military has it, it's just a waiting game.

Usually, if a title is delayed, we'll remove it at the cusotmer's request after giving the postal system about 2 weeks to deliver it. Too much of this can get an account deactivated. As I mentioned, when dealing with as many accounts as we do, we dont' know about extenuating circumstances unless you let us know.

Drop a line to [email protected], I'm sure we can work around the issue.

Gene
AnimeNation.com
RentAnime.com

Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I just switched from Blockbuster Online to Netflix. I like BBO because they are slightly cheaper (a dollar difference for the 3/mo. option) and they offer 4 free in-store coupons/ a month, but their anime service is lacking.

Their selection isn't horrible, they basically keep up with your domestic releases, that being said two of the series I ordered had missing volumes (The final NGE:platinum volume is unavailable for rental/ they are also missing Love Hina V.3). But to be fair, Netflix doesn't have Love Hina: Christmas Movie (I've requested it, have no idea how that'll turn out).

Then there's the immensely annoying problem BBO have of not linking series volumes. If there's not a commercially released boxset you have to order each volume separately. The first discs I ordered from them was the NGE platinum series, I put them into the queue in the correct order (not noticing that it was missing V.8- I just thought there were 8 volumes), naively believing that they'd send me them in order- My first shipment were Volumes 3, 5 & 6. Exclamation If you want stuff in order you have to be constantly updating your queue to put in the next needed volume(s) in the series. Meanwhile you get weekly emails from BBO asking why you don't keep the recommended 30 titles in the queue.

Their customer service is horrible as well, and completely clueless about anime.

Both services seem to have a problem keeping older anime in stock. Both have Love Hina on wait lists.

Turnaround for Netflix is also better, shipping titles in 1-2 days instead of BBO's 2-3 days. Of course, all Blockbuster has to outdo Netflix on this is to allow in-store returns so it doesn't take so long for the return.

I do want to try Rentanime.com at some point too. If for no other reason than I wouldn't mind getting the occasional Hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
I read through this thread and found positive comments about Netflix, so I have a question before I take the plunge.

I am incouraged that they have titles that I have been unable to complete (i.e. Argento Soma). It is listed as a 6 Disc set. Do I have to start with the first DVD or can I request them individually?

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6