• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Raijin Comics Loses Domain

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I hate domain squatters!

I've had to deal personally with a stolen domain. Unfortunatly, it didn't resolve in my favor, because I didn't want to pay the money they wanted, and I didn't have the name trademarked, so I couldn't use legal measures to take it back.

Domain squatters suck. :(
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
FYI: Pool.com is a Canadian company that specializes in marketing expired domain names in an auction-like system. They vie with SnapNames.com and several others for a business to snatch domains from under their owners and auction them off to the highest bidder.

Obviously whoever was in charge of technical support should be flayed alive for allowing the registration to lapse. The important thing is that Raijin has a legal right to the domain, and they shouldn't have any problems getting it back. Pool.com will probably ask for 100USD or so for its return (less than it would cost to dispute) and the matter will be settled. Raijincomics.com is a very specialized name and it's unlikely anyone will have interest enough to squat for thousands of dollars.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Is Raijin even still in operation? I mean, if so, I'd like to see some of their titles finished out, but if not, well, then I think losing their domain isn't a really big concern, ya know?
Stueypark

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The domain depends on the conditions under which it was purchased. Some domain registering companies, especially the cheap ones, have bad protection against domain snap-ups. Heck, some registrants will even sell your domain to someone else while you're still in the middle of a contract, if the other person offered more money.

They probably had a good service which wouldn't do that, and also gave them plenty of warning before the contract expired but since they were no longer using the site, there was no reason to renew it.
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize how easily it was to have a domain name stolen. That really sucks.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Is Raijin even still in operation? I mean, if so, I'd like to see some of their titles finished out, but if not, well, then I think losing their domain isn't a really big concern, ya know?

Yes, this is my question as well. I want the rest of City Hunter published!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Raijin put some great manga. Not just the title, but the quality as my Slam Dunk manga felt sturdy with good paper. It's so sad that they're gone though. RAijin have to return dammnit.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes Raijin must return, they had great manga, and its shame that they had not continued publishing.

Or at least they could have released the rights of city hunter and Slam dunk to other publishers.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, if Raijin really did die on us, I hope Viz atleast picks up City Hunter. Laughing Yeah, I'm only kidding myself. Sad *Crys alittle while watching City Hunter.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well,I want the rest of Guardian Angel Getten published!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1