• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Evangelion TV DVD Release Going Out of Print

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
I guess ADV (now Sentai) is losing the rights soon to it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Well there goes Sentai's cash cow. I can't see any way that FUNi won't jump on this if they can.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe somebody (*cough*Funimation*cough*) can license rescue it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
It's the ADV Films license that is expiring. That doesn't mean Sentai won't re-license it.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
It's the ADV Films license that is expiring. That doesn't mean Sentai won't re-license it.

You honestly think they have that kind of money?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Guess I'd better jump right at it since I still don't have it. Smile~
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Well there goes Sentai's cash cow. I can't see any way that FUNi won't jump on this if they can.

Is it really still a cash cow at this point? It's been around forever, and fewer people are actually buying anime these days... I can see it bringing in a steady trickle of cash these days, but a whole cow?
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Hasn't it been out of print ever since ADV died off into separate companies, or was it still being printed until this recent announcement?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
If it does finally go out of print, good riddance. The series is almost 2 decades old, and it is ready to be "put out to pasture". It's been serving long past its prime. Time to let the movies and other reinventions come to the forefront.

It's time for the new generation to step up.

"If you love something, then let it go"
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
There's always the holiday special edition Laughing
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Whoa whoa whoa.... really? You mean they've actually been printing more copies of it until now? *goes to Right Stuf site*

Aww, man... now I'm not too sure what to do. It has an excellent price point right now.... perfect for one of my own birthday/christmas present in a few weeks, one that my folks could buy. But... but... the holiday box set with the 100 minutes worth of extras is now about $40 more expensive than the bargain price of $39.99 I saw it at, which must've been at least a couple months ago. Sad If I had seen the series earlier, rather than just this summer, I surely would've gotten it.

So.... what to do, what to do. Has anyone here seen any of the extras (I'm sure some of you guys have) included with the Holiday edition (which are the same extras that were included with the original DVD release)? Were they good extras? I know there are at least some episode commentaries. Because-- and this is my main point--- does anyone think it's worth holding out for a "bargain" deal on the Holiday Edition, one similar to the $40 price tag I once saw with it?

Either way, I'd find it an enjoyable set, I'm sure. The only exposure I've had has been through the first, poorly mastered dvd release, so with either the slim pack or the Holiday set, I'd be seeing something new-- both the remastered release and a remastered dub with better subtitles. (Oh, and all the director's cut episodes!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
FUUUUUU~ I have to get this now Neutral

I was waiting for Right Stuf's Christmas sale because they normally put it up each year but I guess I'm going to have to get it now.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
The Holiday Edition seems to pop up pretty regularly in the Weekly Specials for $40, so I don't doubt that it'll end up back there soon enough, especially once the 12 Days sales end. I've had my eye on it for sometime, and now I think I shall finally order it once I get some gift cash to spare.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Well this is great, I haven't bought this yet, or seen the show. Better act faster now.

Also, this is going to be great, for sure the DVD's will go for hundreds once they're all sold out, just like some previou NGE releases are going for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm convinced there's more ADV DVD copies of Eva than the number of people currently living.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5