• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oricon Poll: Views on Turning Anime/Manga into Live-Action

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I've actually found that the live action adaptions I've seen have been very good. Nodame Cantabile, which I mention a lot, is so good that I'm completely unable to watch the anime, because the live action actors are those characters for me so completely. I also enjoyed Hana Yori Dango and I think Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is wonderful. And I do like the Taiwanese live action of Mars too.

In general, with my experience, the only live actions I haven't enjoyed have been movies where a lot had to be compressed in two hours. The television series have been outstanding though, at least the ones that I've seen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I liked the 20th Century Boys movies, but it took a lot to make those movies work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile is no surprise, nor are any of the other choices.. things like that can work just fine. It's when companies think you can do stuff like Naruto or Dragonball or Akira that things start to look bad.

If you need more CG than live-action, then it should probably stay as animation.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Man, this study is so simple, yet innovative. I used to be of the "65%", but then I discovered Nodame Cantabile(live-action TV drama), and it introduced me to a whole new world of Japanese entertainment. In all honesty, many of the live-action adaptations are actually better than the anime/manga/video games they were based on.

It usually only works with thriller, slice-of-life, and romance stuff. Not shonen

I think only in certain cases they should deviate from the original source material(like if it begins to suck at some point).

Oh, and I thought the Death Note movies were mediocre compared to the anime, which was mediocre compared to the manga.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Death Note live-action was great. Surprising that 20th Century Boys is not up there.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
Live action Nodame Cantabile > anime Nodame Cantabile

Though, to be fair, the first season of the anime is much more faithful to the manga and very, very good. But then it was passed to a new director, who decided to (or maybe had to, with noitaminA's increasing tendency towards 11/12-episode shows) condense the plot down, racing from point to point and not relishing in the music the way the first season and live-action shows did.

I haven't seen the live action Hana Yori Dango or Jin, but I've heard the music for the latter, and it's awfully good.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
I'll have to take a look at Hana Yori Dango myself, and I've never seen either version of Nodame Cantabile - so I'll be on the look out for that as well.

Some of the live action stuff works, some doesn't. If I may add a suggestion to see, it would have to be the GTO TV series, which I love far more than the anime version or even manga versions.

I'm also looking forward to the live action Kenshin - what scares me is the upcoming live action Ranma 1/2. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Banna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the live action version of Nodame Cantible. I just couldn't get into it.

I think in general though live action is hit or miss for me. I love Hana Yori Dango, but didn't care much for The Wallflower or HanaKimi. Ouran I thought was that off from the manga but it seemed much "creepier" with real people. But I loved GTO and the first season of Gokusen. The Paradise Kiss movie was blah but I enjoyed NANA and LoveCom.
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
am I the only one here who watched JIN? That series is absolutely amazing.

Synopsis: Neurosurgeon gets sent back in time into the Edo period. :3

It's right up there with Nodame Cantabile as my favorite Drama. Minakata Jin & spoiler[Sakamoto Ryoma] combi is awesome.

I haven't found any english copy of the manga, which is such a shame, since it's amazing from what i've seen in the drama.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I've seen too few of them so I can't really comment on this.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I love the Great Teacher Onizuka live-action, but that's been my only experience with a Japanese anime turned Japanese live-action.

Agreed, though, that the Hollywood adaptations don't tend to do very well. Street Fighter, Chun-Li, Mortal Kombat (both films), Tekken, Dragonball. All very mediocre to poor films.
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I really do wonder how the Hollywood adaptions fit into this equation. For the Hollywood route I think things would be better conceived if they get people in the driver seat that is familiar with the original source and the otaku community.

Using information from this poll itself is a step in the right direction considering WB is still in their preliminary phase of the "Death Note" movie.

More young directors, that's my thought.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well a lot of us can say there will always be some movies that drew us in from the beginning and we fell in love with but like the survey indicated too much of the time is wading through the "Misses" rather than the "hits" which are far and few in between being produced now days. Studios and or production companies tend to want to make a quick buck rather than spend the time, effort and energy to make something really worth it that will that shine.
Rosencranz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the live action BECK. The only other Manga to live action movie I have seen was Drop
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Talking about live-action, isn't this a sad sight? Laughing

Korean drama backlash

A group marches in Okachimachi, Tokyo, protesting against too many Korean dramas being shown on Japanese TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2