• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oricon Poll: Views on Turning Anime/Manga into Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
zerochitentoppakai wrote:
am I the only one here who watched JIN?

Yea, that series isn't well known among foreign fans ... no manga (in english), no anime, no comedy / contemporary setting (as Nodame f.ex.). But in Japan it was really successful, luckily ^^

Another well done manga live action adaption that isn't very well known is Ally of Justice (Seigi no Mikata).

In general, how an adaption turns out really depends on the people working on the project. There are great J-Dramas, and really bad ones as well. The Paradise Kiss movie was indeed horrible. Not even because of the acting, but mostly because they messed up the story completely v.v

But it's just like animes in fact Anime hyper In a survey concerning how "happy" I am with anime adaptions of mangas I'd vote "unhappy", because the good ones are way too rare ><
Veroniku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well I would think the secret ingredient is a good director.

A director that actually watched/read the original, understood it, loved it, and is motivated to bring new ideas to the table, but ideas that work. And if he's willing to hear out what the original creator has to say, that's also awesome.

((Also, you have to be used to Japanese acting, which is very different than what North-Americans are used to))

Thus, I adored GTO LA. It's toned down compared to the anime/manga and thus makes it more believable as a school drama.

Sailor Moon LA was great, it brought new plots twists and could be so hilarious at times. Of course, you have to forgive the Japanese for being so bad at CG.

LoveCom the movie was so hilarious and awesome. They brought colors and craziness to the concept, and weird running gags, but still kept the essence of it. (The same team seems to have done Koukou Debut, which was pretty ridiculous and funny Anime hyper)

Gokusen was super-awesome, but then the original concept was very easy to bring to life.

Ouran is admittedly a bit freaky, but I blame the miscasting of Honey and the bad-Japanese-CG I mentioned earlier, but you get used to it enough to laugh at it. I liked this adaptation.

No one mentionned Iryuu Team Medical Dragon, which is awesome =D

Now, Death Note was pretty terrible (though it did make me laugh like crazy at some points, but it was about how ridiculous it was), because they missed the essence of what the whole thing was about. Suspense and fast-paced "think-on-your-feet" just wasn't really there.

That's pretty much all I watched, I think...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw a recent post over a protest in Japan over a bunch of Korean dramas on Japanese television. So far,I haven't seen any protests in this country over Japanese anime being shown on American television. From what I've seen,we've got BBC America,a cable and satellite channel in this country and there have been no protests over that. If I were a Korean immigrant to America or a Korean-American,I'd probably double over with laughter over that sort of sight.
I've also been to bookstores that carry both anime and manga. I've seen no protests there because they carry them. But then again,there aren't really any Korean dramas currently shown on American television. They're probably in places that have large Korean populations like Los Angeles. So far,I haven't seen Koreans or Korean-Americans protest Japanese anime being shown on American television or bookstores or comic books store for selling anime and manga.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I saw a recent post over a protest in Japan over a bunch of Korean dramas on Japanese television. So far,I haven't seen any protests in this country over Japanese anime being shown on American television.

Probably because most Americans don't even know that there is anime on American TV. Or any foreign-produced content, for that matter. Yes, it exists, but you have to go searching for it; most of the time, it just gets remade by an domestic company featuring local talent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2