• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network 2005 Spring Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Taishi wrote:
I can't understand why ANN would skip out on Hachimitsu to Kuroba in part of their preview. That show is the best show out there for this season.

Yeah, Hachimitsu is pretty much my winner out of this season's group of shows, but I'll probably keep a couple others just 'because. But like someone else posted above, it'd be pretty hard to watch all the shows and still make the column timely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
I think that Justin went a little hard on Ichigo 100%. I think the series is actually fun. But to be fair I'm on a Romantic Comedy faze.

I watched the first 3 episodes since I like stuff based off Shonen Jump manga usually, but it was GOD AWFUL.

Speed Grapher has been awesome though.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the return of the captioned pictures (did Zac have anything to do with that?), especially since the "DDR-induced" earthquake reminded me of myself. Almost not fun to play right now, since everyone's making a big stink about Konami vs. Roxor >.> Interestingly, not too much from this list really appealed to me too much, but we'll see how much I change my mind when the dust settles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Some of it looks ridiculous at first sight, but I guess I can't always depend on that, eh? I want to check out the Eyeshield 21 anime, because if I keep watching the same genres of anime over and over my brain might get stuck.

Oh you really should check out Eyeshield 21. Ignore the Jump Festa Special, the regular series is awesome. I was so happy when Jump finally decided to let it become an anime.

But, overall, right on the money with these previews.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CLAMP anime is more or less "critic-proof". If I like it, well... everybody who likes CLAMP stuff will have already watched it. If I hate it, everybody who likes CLAMP stuff will have already watched it, and flame the crap out of me.

Two minorities to think about:

1) Those even-tempered people who like CLAMP, but not all of CLAMP. For example, me. I like CLAMP, but I won't go near X, Angelic Layer, or Chobits (DearS doesn't count) unless it's for music.

2) Those who don't know who or what CLAMP is. I know for about the first half of my fandom (6 years and counting), I didn't know who any of the "big names" were. Of course, this could segue into a suggestion for a new column, but I digress.

By the way, there are reasons NOT to like Tsubasa. Not many, but they are out there.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
By the way, there are reasons NOT to like Tsubasa. Not many, but they are out there.

Oh, there are plenty of reasons to hate Tsubasa. Just ask my CLAMPholic friends who all seem to be watching the show just so they can take a piss on it and whine about how much it violates the manga.

I don't know about everyone else, but if I weren't enjoying an anime, I would stop watching it, instead of plodding onward out of some blind sense of allegiance.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote
I still say the first couple of eps of speed grapher reminds me of eyes wide shut.

Emma thu is by far my favorite show this season.

Really hope they do a Shirley OAV (same auther as the Emma Manga was a one shot about a young girl maid) but I doubt it,
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
These are all based on just the first episode, right?

Of the shows I've seen on that list, I mostly agree on first impressions.

MAR's first episode sucked, the second episode was even worse, and I can't even force myself to watch episode 3. Although, I didn't really like Flame of Recca either (The manga, that is. I never saw the anime), so maybe Nobuyuki Anzai's style just doesn't appeal to me...

Speed Grapher, I liked the first episode, but I didn't blow me away. By the 5th episode, however, I love it quite a lot. It's all up hill from the first episode (Especially as the nose guard dude (Sujou, I believe it was) has been getting more and more screen time) Anime smile

Basilisk has been quite a surprise. I thought it would be a really lame Romeo and Juliet with Ninjas, but I gave it a chance anyways because, well, it's Gonzo. It's actually the show I look forward to watching the most now. I mean, it's one of the only shows I've ever seen that has a heavy focus on intense violence, and little to no focus on sexual fanservice of any kind. Most of the characters are pretty ugly, but the battles are so spectacular that you can't help but love them anyways. I dunno, it was just so unexpectedly awesome.

Loveless was a godsend after the ever boring Sukisyo. It's cute and dramatic, and has some really cool fight scenes (Not to mention it's gorgeous). With the exception of Mirage of Blaze, it's the most interesting shounen-ai show I've ever seen

Eyeshield 21 had no choice but to be awesome. The manga is still a bit better, but between actually hearing Hiruma's "YA-HA!", hearing the "huh huh brothers" all "Huh?" in succesion, and just watching the games in motion, I'm still really, really enjoying the show

I've find myself oddly drawn to the Law of Ueki. It's so incredibly lame that it's good, ya know? I dunno, this Robert guy looks pretty psychotic (read as: cool) and it's entertaining despite the cheesiness. Who knows, it could end up totally awesome by the end

That's all I've seen of those shows. All of the other ones I passed on, but now I kinda want to check out that people in animal suits thingy. I actually downloaded the first episode of Emma though, but I ended up deleting it without ever watching it because I learned that the full title was Victorian "Romance" Emma. I hate [het] love stories now, so I figured I'd be better off not even giving it a chance so I won't be able to bash it. Of course, if it's really that great, then that may have been a mistake, but people told me Kare Kano was great too, so I'm still pretty skeptical. Although, being most of your opinions were pretty similar to mine, I may end up at least trying the first episode....

Kudos to anyone who read all my pointless banter Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Oh, there are plenty of reasons to hate Tsubasa. Just ask my CLAMPholic friends who all seem to be watching the show just so they can take a piss on it and whine about how much it violates the manga.

I hope they didn't feel the same way for Escaflowne. My only complaint is that it's taking too long and the character designs just look really weird.

Patachu wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but if I weren't enjoying an anime, I would stop watching it, instead of plodding onward out of some blind sense of allegiance.

I need to remember that every time I watch One Piece or Zatch Bell. (Not that I'm allied to them, but I just keep watching them.)
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
I think that Justin went a little hard on Ichigo 100%. I think the series is actually fun. But to be fair I'm on a Romantic Comedy faze.

If you're into romance comedy, than any romance comedy will please you.

I wonder how can you stand this type of show, there are a lot of better romantic comedy out there.

BTW, I like the small caption on each screencap. Good sense of humor Laughing
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
dmanjdb wrote:

Now that's not really a fair statement to make - To suggest that one cannot be objective and still be a fan of a particular genre?

I myself am a fan of the romantic comedy genre - and certainly, at times, I can get caught up in the emotion of a story, anime, etc. Even so, if I were to talk about the weaknesses and strengths of a particular title, I can do so fairly easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad people liked the captions. As someone mentioned, Zac really wanted to do them, but he couldn't. (He works for Anime Insider now, so he's not allowed to write for other publications.) I really liked the idea, so I tried my hand at them. Glad nobody was offended at my scary sense of humor.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Glad people liked the captions. As someone mentioned, Zac really wanted to do them, but he couldn't. (He works for Anime Insider now, so he's not allowed to write for other publications.) I really liked the idea, so I tried my hand at them. Glad nobody was offended at my scary sense of humor.

It is the same as mine, and I do improv on sunday afternoons.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
dmanjdb wrote:

Now that's not really a fair statement to make - To suggest that one cannot be objective and still be a fan of a particular genre?

I myself am a fan of the romantic comedy genre - and certainly, at times, I can get caught up in the emotion of a story, anime, etc. Even so, if I were to talk about the weaknesses and strengths of a particular title, I can do so fairly easily.

WEll I was refering to him only because he thought Ichigo 100 was good. If you think ichigo 100% is good even though it's the same crap as a lot of other weak title that follow it, than of course he's going to like most of the romantic comedy. Just imagine there's people out there who think Wrath of the Ninja and Yugioh is one of the best anime out there. There's just so much better stuff out there. And that's the problem with a lot of romantic comedy fanboy, they're just not subjective enough when it comes to title that fit in the genre. Negima? Oh please.

There are great romantic comedy: Koi Kaze for example, and there are bad romantic comedy: Love Hina, maybe even Midori's Day.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
There are great romantic comedy: Koi Kaze for example, and there are bad romantic comedy: Love Hina, maybe even Midori's Day.

Love Hina was good MANGA not a good anime. I have only seen the fist chapter of Ichigo 100% manga so I haven't seen the alot of difference between the Manga and the Anime. Maybe the manga is better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3