• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Champloo DVD 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Fuu's voice could use a bit of maturity since she's the most mature one out of the 3. I really dislike the squeaky high-pitch type voices used in so many anime of the past.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
Fuu is 15, I beleave that is the reason they had the VA sond the way she dose.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Episode 6 shines with hilarious performances from the comically-accented Dutchman and the eating contest commentator,

I can only dread at what will constitute a Dutch accent according to an American dub director... since most of the times, a fake German accent is deemed acceptable Shocked (still haven't gotten rid of the supposedly 'Dutch' villain-trauma that is 'Goldmember').
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Fuu's voice could use a bit of maturity since she's the most mature one out of the 3. I really dislike the squeaky high-pitch type voices used in so many anime of the past.

Jin's voice could use a little less maturity. He sounds too old and is much more lax and carefree than what the dub makes you think.

Kari Wahlgren as Fuu was a great choice, in my opinion. She sounds her age and just because she acts more mature than those two guys doesn't mean she should sound any older. I suppose having her sound 17 or 25 would be more sufficient? Or why not just get the woman who plays Kaede in Inu Yasha to do it and have her speak old English? Would ye be more satisfied than with thine young maiden's voice at the moment? (Since you obviously don't like the sound of young high pitched girls and all).

The lack of these kinds of voices is actually what I feel was missing in a lot of dubs in the past. It's great to finally hear someone who can sound like an actual young girl and not be noticeably fake and/or forced at the same time.
thebazel

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
If I can just make a quick point. A lot of people say the major flaw with Samurai Champloo is that it is a set of independent adventures without any focus on a coherent storyline. However, did I miss something or did everyone completely forget this is the exact same style that was used in Cowboy Bebop? Watanabe has changed the cultural setting and music, but his style of stories and characters remains the same down to the last detail. This is not critcism, I just don't understand how so many can hold Cowboy Bebop as being so amazingly amazing when it too is a bunch of random stories with the "story" being the character's pasts being revealed bit by bit. For those who have seen all of Champloo, I'm sure they'd agree that the core really is Bebop. And what else would you expect? If it was successful once, why wouldn't Watanabe do it again?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
thebazel, I understand what you're saying perfectly. I've actually seen a lot of people compare the two, but I think Bebop is more popular primarily because it was the first out of the two shows to use this formula.

I've seen all of both shows and would like to not compare them as much as possible. I feel they both have their own merits thanks to the different technical elements used in both series (high tech space adventure with jazz and old traditional Japan with hip-hop).

I like them both very much, but one thing Bebop did that Champloo doesn't is have a solid ending (though I wouldn't mind if Champloo ever picked up again after what I saw).
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I had read earlier on that Mugen was voiced by David Lucas/Steve Blum...and it sounds like him on the promos for AdultSwim.

Who is this Daniel Andrews??
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
thebazel wrote:
However, did I miss something or did everyone completely forget this is the exact same style that was used in Cowboy Bebop?

It's a valid argument, but, in the case of Bebop, there were more episodes that actually dealt with the main plot then what appeared in Champloo. Champloo basically starts out spoiler[We must find the Sunflower Samurai! And then proceeds to pretty much never really revisit that, save a few references here and there until the very end]

xanbcoo wrote:

It's one of Steven's aliases.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Jin's voice could use a little less maturity. He sounds too old and is much more lax and carefree than what the dub makes you think.

Kari Wahlgren as Fuu was a great choice, in my opinion. She sounds her age and just because she acts more mature than those two guys doesn't mean she should sound any older. I suppose having her sound 17 or 25 would be more sufficient? Or why not just get the woman who plays Kaede in Inu Yasha to do it and have her speak old English? Would ye be more satisfied than with thine young maiden's voice at the moment? (Since you obviously don't like the sound of young high pitched girls and all).

The lack of these kinds of voices is actually what I feel was missing in a lot of dubs in the past. It's great to finally hear someone who can sound like an actual young girl and not be noticeably fake and/or forced at the same time.

Wow, nice way to over express yourself while being close minded. Look at Fruit basket or Burst angel for good female acting that doesn't have to sound like pre-teen girls going through puberty. The difference between sounding like a 13 year old girl and a 18 year old girl can really help the anime be more realistic in english. Trust me, there's more to an anime than imiating the japanese voice actors.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri May 13, 2005 11:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
~[ The Profosist ]~

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Wow, nice way to over express yourself. Look at fruit basket or Burst angel for good female acting. The difference between sound like a 13 year old girl and a 18 year old girl can really help the anime.

i also agree and think they did a very good job dubbing this show compared to some others I've seen/recorded
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:49 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Wow, nice way to over express yourself while being close minded. Look at Fruit basket or Burst angel for good female acting that doesn't have to sound like pre-teen girls going through puberty. The difference between sounding like a 13 year old girl and a 18 year old girl can really help the anime be more realistic in english. Trust me, there's more to an anime than imiating the japanese voice actors.

I've yet to see those two shows. I'm also not trying to imply that every dub should be an exact transition from one langauge to another in terms of who gets casted. And, I'm definitely not being close minded about anything.

Your initial statements were actually giving me that impression, not to say that you are close minded since I don't even know you.

It's just that your post made it sound like you really don't like that style of voice whether it be in Japanese or English. I certainly don't expect any show with a young girl to always sound like what Kari Wahlgren is doing, as each character's personality can be contributed to in different ways aside from her voice.

For me personally though, I feel somewhat matching a character's original voice can help convert character and all the little nuances that were originally intended by the writers.

Of course, with dubs having to be English adaptations (or whatever language you're listening to), the perception from the audience will probably vary from person to person. There's nothing wrong with that, though there's no reason we can't also discuss the pros and cons of this as well.

And don't get me wrong, I never said this was a bad dub. I actually like it a lot, aside from Jin, but that's just my preference. Being Geneon, it's at the high level of quality that I've come to expect, and I'd easily recommend it to anyone that isn't into subs or someone just wanting to watch something new.

Please stop making generalizations about me, thanks Wink.
ananda

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
I had read earlier on that Mugen was voiced by David Lucas/Steve Blum...and it sounds like him on the promos for AdultSwim.

You are correct, Mugen is voiced by Steven Blum.
Daniel Andrews is also Mr.Blum, he uses many different names I believe about 9 in total.
Swordmalice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing that up for me too, I was wondering who this Andrews guy is when I'm clearly hearing the voice of Spike Spiegel coming out of Mugen's mouth lol

While we're on the topic, why DOES he use so many pseudonyms?
NinjaGunslinger55

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The voices don't bother me that much, and they are as fine as they already remain.

This next DVD continues the story well, and it seems OK to me, so I give it a 9/10 Very Happy
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I believe people are dismissive of Champloo's use of the episodic approach, because of the thin reasoning behind their journey. In Cowboy Bebop, the protagonists are all bounty hunters doing their job. In Champloo, their reason for travel, and their goal, are both rather questionable. However, after watching the series, you come to find out that their goal is a bit more worth while and even significant in a semi-historical fashion. Also, Jin and Mugen are eventually recognized as Fuu's yojimbo's (bodyguards). So their association with her seems less ackward. But from the get go, it seems like everything is loosely hanging together. So that may bother some people. I personally love Champloo though. It is now one of my favorite animes along with Chobits, Sakura Diaries and Cowboy Bebop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2