• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network 2005 Spring Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
See, I have problems with most romantic comedy ANIME in general. Most of the stuff that's come out in the past few years is either rushed, or diverges from the manga to the point that it's no longer what made the story enjoyable in the first place. I enjoyed Midori no Hibi as a manga. I found it a bit original in its humor, and the story lasted long enough for you to get to know and care about it's characters.

The same follows for Ichigo 100%. The concepts aren't that original at all, but the manga-ka took the time to flesh out her characters. Since the anime rushes everything though, you don't really get the chance to care about anybody there. Thus far, the manga covers roughly 3 years of their lives. The strength of this title is carried by how well the characters are written.

How can anybody expect to care about the characters in a 13 episode series that feels rushed? IMO, the single most important factor in any romantic story is time. It needs and deserves time to develop the story and the characters, or there is little point to making it.

Not to say that it can't be done in a short series. Koikaze did an excellent job in a short amount of time. Then again, Koikaze isn't a comedy. It's serious through and through. As such, it's possible to be pulled in more quickly and develop an emotional attatchment that much sooner.

Either way, when it comes to the romantic comedy, it's probably best to stick with the manga. Some of the artwork just can't be expressed as well once it's been animated, and I dislike losing that experience of taking things at my own pace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Victorian Romance Emma. Finally a series that would be best dubbed in Britain. Yeah yaoi makes me squarm, but Yuki Kajiura makes good music so that's another "buy the soundtrack, forget the show".
Does anyone know if the name "Basilisk" is a registered TM of J. K. Rowling? Wink
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I love that picture of Loveless. Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Victorian Romance Emma. Finally a series that would be best dubbed in Britain.

Tsuneo Kobayashi, as they pointed out,did Midori's Days and Twelve Kingdoms. Both of these are odd but wonderful Anime. So I think this is just the director to pull something like Emma off. I bet one or both of the main characters end up dead at the end though. Yes, let the Brit's dubb it.
Eyeshield 21 looks interesting for the opposite reason. How badly can a something quintisentially American be mangled or distorted. Let's just say that the only Manga football game I ever saw, had some "interesting" techniques.

All the Best,

Nani?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Victorian Romance Emma. Finally a series that would be best dubbed in Britain.

Tsuneo Kobayashi, as they pointed out,did Midori's Days and Twelve Kingdoms. Both of these are odd but wonderful Anime. So I think this is just the director to pull something like Emma off. I bet one or both of the main characters end up dead at the end though. Yes, let the Brit's dubb it.

All the Best,

Nani?
Aww! Thank you! You're too kind. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3