• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Little Nemo Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this originally from the Nostalgia Critic.
Can't wait to watch this. (Even if my hopes for it aren't too high.)
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Oh my gooooood I remember this movie.

I loved this movie as a kid!

And frankly, up until some years ago, I didn't even know it was from Japan. Or Japan related.

lol, I remember wanting spoiler[a pet flying squirrel ] after watching this movie Anime hyper . 'Cause I just flipping loved spoiler[Icarus]. (And, that was the first time i'd ever even heard of that name...)
And I remember the spoiler[Nightmare dude] and... Good lord I havn't seen this movie in a long time.

A shame its for premium people only Anime cry

Edit:

And you gotta love the preview thing Crunchyroll lets people without the premium watch... Opening credits Rolling Eyes .
That'll make me shell out some money.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
As it turns out, this was my first ever anime back when I was a very young kid. Before Pokemon, Digimon and Card Captors (my big first few series). I think I even still have it on VHS. Cool
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
A shame its for premium people only Anime cry

Edit:

And you gotta love the preview thing Crunchyroll lets people without the premium watch... Opening credits Rolling Eyes .
That'll make me shell out some money.

It's only for premiums for one week, then it opens up for free users (ad supported).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Better yet, it's US only!

What is my £6 a month going to?!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Is it still anime when much of the key works were done by Americans? (Look at the credits.) Laughing
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Would it be rude to mention what might have been? Studio Ghibli's pilot for the Little Nemo in Slumberland film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbPJmxIQqKc

A bit more (starting at the 2:00 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnL-6yLzgWA
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
All I have of this film are pleasant memories: I can't wait to revisit it. I think this Little Nemo (although I'm a couple years late for it), along with The Princess and the Goblin, The Swan Princess and a select few other animated titles (some of which were arguably horrible), were instrumental in shaping my interest in the animated medium as a young child. I wonder why Crunchyroll picked it up, though (I mean, did they actively seek it out or is TMS trying to push something or is it all extremely coincidental in some way)? I don't think I even know anyone who wouldn't immediately mistake the title for that insipid Disney/Pixar flick about the goldfish.

enurtsol wrote:
Is it still anime when much of the key works were done by Americans? (Look at the credits.)

Produced by: Yutaka Fujioka (also co-wrote the story? from what I'm reading)
Directed by: Masami Hata (and William Hurtz)
One of the story consultants was named Koji Shimizu.
Animation Directors: Kazuhide Tomonaga, Nobuo Tomizawa
Art Director: Nizo Yamamoto
Director of Photography: Hajima Hasegawa
Color Design: Hiroko Kondo
Film Editor: Takeshi Seyama
And I'm not going to go through the whole list, but suffice to say that a lot of the key works were filled by Japanese artists. And then, of course, TMS is a Japanese studio. It was a highly collaborative project, to be sure, which is pretty cool if you think about it. We don't see a whole lot of that anymore. Did we even see a whole lot of that back then (I wasn't around and haven't bothered to check)? Regardless, if it's a question of Japanese artists' involvement in the movie (and I'm not sure it necessarily has to be), I think you can safely refer to Little Nemo as an anime movie by even the strictest of sensible standards.

dm wrote:
Would it be rude to mention what might have been? Studio Ghibli's pilot for the Little Nemo in Slumberland film...

As much as I love what I can remember of the film, I can't even imagine what wonders Yoshifumi Kondo (and Studio Ghibli as a whole) could have worked with this. Especially as a collaboration with Ray Bradbury. Holy hnnngghhhhh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1