• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seminal Films to Release ICE Film on DVD in January

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wh...wha...

What is going on here?

I am now bent on knowing why not only Sentai would bother releasing the original ICE, but now someone else would bother with the movie.

I mean...like...guys? What is happening? I'm scared. :(
zeonozero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea this is not the best move, unless somehow they sold like 1000 copies of the DVD since its release... but i doubt that

The show was not even rated that well, not a good choice i believe Sad
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Wh...wha...

What is going on here?

I am now bent on knowing why not only Sentai would bother releasing the original ICE, but now someone else would bother with the movie.

I mean...like...guys? What is happening? I'm scared. Sad

Yeah, its just a compilation of the OVA too. So if you bought that there is no point in picking up the movie lol.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm really getting tired of people acting shocked about new licenses. It's obvious you know nothing about popular anime or what sells I guess. It's really funny when the supposed hardcore fans are actually the ones that are completely out of the loop.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
What is going on here?

I'd imagine that the license must have been fairly cheap.
Also, a 3 part OVA in one set is an easy impulse buy compared to a 13 or 26 ep series.
Impulse buy technically should mean more sales.
It's also something not everyone has seen.
Same with the movie version.

Overall, Sentai are showing good business practice.
They are pleasing fans with more mainstream shows while also offering more niche stuff. Their release turnover is also very good.
This is HOW to run a business, unlike how ADV or Geneon operated.
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Wh...wha...

What is going on here?

I mean...like...guys? What is happening? I'm scared. Sad

It might be that Sentai wants the movie version because it is in a form that they can offer for broadcast or for video on demand.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

MVD Entertainment and Seminal Films' website lists the work's running time at 103 minutes, and Sentai Filmworks lists its version's running time at 90 minutes.

Where did that extra 13 minutes come from? Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm really getting tired of people acting shocked about new licenses. It's obvious you know nothing about popular anime or what sells I guess. It's really funny when the supposed hardcore fans are actually the ones that are completely out of the loop.

What people are "shocked" about is A) that an entirely separate company (Seminal Films is based out of LA and Alberta, so it appears to have no connection to Sentai) has licensed the movie and B) that a movie version of this series even exists, since prior to this announcement there were no other English-language records of such a thing (including in our Encyclopedia). For those reasons, I am curious to see more on what, exactly, this is. The fact that the OVA is mostly trash is a comparatively minor factor.

enurtsol wrote:
Where did that extra 13 minutes come from? Laughing

Despite what's advertised, the actual total run time of the OVAs is 110 minutes. Trim the end credits out for the first two episodes and you'd be right around 103 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well, why folks debate about being shocked about licenses I'm shocked that a movie version either exists. I may have to pick up 2 guilty pleasures if the movie turns out to worthy of picking up based on reviews. I smell 'Iczer' or 'Armitage' movie. LOL!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What people are "shocked" about is A) that an entirely separate company (Seminal Films is based out of LA and Alberta, so it appears to have no connection to Sentai) has licensed the movie and B) that a movie version of this series even exists, since prior to this announcement there were no other English-language records of such a thing (including in our Encyclopedia). For those reasons, I am curious to see more on what, exactly, this is.

I believe this is simply the theatrical cut that was shown in various venues by Eleven Arts:
http://www.elevenarts.net/Animation/Ice/
(same art, same tagline, same runtime etc.)

It is the same version that is being released in the UK by Cine du Monde (they specifically say "© 2008 E.Net Frontier / Eleven Arts © 2011 Cine du Monde")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What people are "shocked" about is A) that an entirely separate company (Seminal Films is based out of LA and Alberta, so it appears to have no connection to Sentai) has licensed the movie and B) that a movie version of this series even exists, since prior to this announcement there were no other English-language records of such a thing (including in our Encyclopedia). For those reasons, I am curious to see more on what, exactly, this is.

For the record, I've noticed a strange item listing on Buy.com two weeks ago. Just like the rest in this thread, however, I had no idea what it was until today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
People.

I was already aware there was a movie version, and yes, it is strange that it would be picked up by what appears to be a different company barely months apart from the original's release. But I guess no one understood what I meant in the first place:

I was stunned ICE in any form got licensed at all, cheap or short or whatever, because it is really really bad. It's not even merely boring or a trendy but bad show, it's just poorly made in every respect.

It's been something of an ongoing narrative in comments on news/reviews of it here for some time now that it sure seems nobody who's actually seen the thing likes it at all, and for it, a relatively "old" license by today's standards (2007) to get released over here, get a DUB no less, and now even get a second release...it's like, I really can't imagine anyone at Sentai or this company screening it and going, "Oh boy, that was AMAZING!", and picking it up for that reason.

It just makes me, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, especially curious about exactly how and why it was obtained. Yeah, maybe it really was pedestrian reasons like "it was cheap/short", or that there simply aren't many other licenses these days along the same genre lines, but, well...it's still so awful that even that seems like barely enough justification.

I'm also a little surprised I now seem to be the only one of those people from all those threads past posting here, but I guess they probably know better than me and have a mental block in place on everything ICE related. ._.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Now the question is ... is the movie better quality than the OVAs or just the same?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1