• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Spiral DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Spiral, the show you watch *in spite* of the plot, not because of it.

Having said that, "Hiyono has the skills that a brooding, sharp-minded loner of a male like Ayumu lacks, namely an information network and boobs" is *THE* single most spot-on, accurate, and complete description of the woman I have ever seen. Good job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
While I don't agree completely, for the sake of wit, that is a great line. Smile

I will say that while mezmerizing at first, Spiral takes a step to the left and gets lost somewhere about halfway through the series. Moreover, they never find their way back. spoiler[There are nothing but lose ends left, and nothing is really resolved by the anime series. The two biggest:

You never find out what happend to Ayumu's brother.

You never find out what the Blade Children really are, or why people are after them.]

For this reason, I'll wait for the manga. I suspect it'll be far more satisfying than the anime was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
While I'm glad that Sean thinks that Spiral is an excellent show, I vehemently disagree with his comments about Caitlin Glass. I think she's marvelous as Himoyo, and she's capturing the essence of this effervecsent character perfectly. I absolutely agree with the "A" rating for the story, and it gets better later on as the Blade Children continue to match wits with Ayumu. This aspect got me hooked on this series; to me, it's way more appealing than the boring and repetitive Detective Conan.

I also don't like the layout of the menu. When we watched Spiral at our club meetings, our moderator had trouble understanding what the menu items mean, so I had to instruct him on what's what. Wink

A couple of things I liked about Vol. 1 (that for some reason wasn't mentioned in the review) are the extra about the history of magic squares (which played a major role in Episode 3) and the jigsaw puzzle contained in the artbox. The jigsaw puzzle I thought was a perfect accessory to what the series is about - one giant puzzle. Wink

Last edited by biliano on Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

I will say that while mezmerizing at first, Spiral takes a step to the left and gets lost somewhere about halfway through the series.

Dunno, I took Spiral for what it was from the very get-go. Pretty much ignored the plot, pretty much adored the characters' personalities and interaction. *Especially* Kousuke - *especially* Kousuke in the later episodes, once Ryoko comes in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel_White_Wings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
I agree with biliano; Hiyono was captured nicely by Caitlin's voice. Or maybe I'm just biased because Hiyono is such a cute character.

Besides, I like this anime. It was put together with pretty, but not stunning, artwork, and the plot is satisfying enough. And I love Eyes-kun (not the dub voice, mind you)!!

BTW, I'm also a fan of Kousuke, but that might be because Greg Ayres is his voice in the dub version. I'm reminded much of Satoshi from D.N. Angel. Razz
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Hm...the first volume is just sitting around at our club, waiting to be watched...but since it's the only one we have (we got it from Funi's Operation Anime) and I'm not sure we're going to buy any more discs, I'm afraid to start watching it and like it, especially with all those end-of-the-disc cliffhangers I've heard about.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Hm...the first volume is just sitting around at our club, waiting to be watched...but since it's the only one we have (we got it from Funi's Operation Anime) and I'm not sure we're going to buy any more discs, I'm afraid to start watching it and like it, especially with all those end-of-the-disc cliffhangers I've heard about.

Ah, come on, you know you want to :-)

And to tease you more, we've put volume 2 on the operation anime website as well.

http://www.operationanime.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

It's those end-of-the-discs cliffhangers that makes Spiral so attractive in the first place, my friend! Very Happy It's like watching an anime version of Survivor - outwit, outthink, outlast!
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Allen wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Ah, come on, you know you want to Smile

And to tease you more, we've put volume 2 on the operation anime website as well.

http://www.operationanime.com

Argh, I noticed that, and I knew that if we had the 2 one, I'd be watching them for sure, but no, my club went and ordered the first volume of Kiddy Grade when we had already discussed requesting the second volume of Spiral! Anime hyper But I will go look at it now.

Incidentally, I'm curious: does Operation Anime continue over the summer?
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Argh, I noticed that, and I knew that if we had the 2 one, I'd be watching them for sure, but no, my club went and ordered the first volume of Kiddy Grade when we had already discussed requesting the second volume of Spiral! >_< But I will go look at it now.

Yes, Operation Anime will continue through the summer, so you can continue to request titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Allen wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Argh, I noticed that, and I knew that if we had the 2 one, I'd be watching them for sure, but no, my club went and ordered the first volume of Kiddy Grade when we had already discussed requesting the second volume of Spiral! Anime hyper But I will go look at it now.

Yes, Operation Anime will continue through the summer, so you can continue to request titles.

Woo! Apparently my club did request the second volume, so I just borrowed them both today! The menu was a bit confusing, but it's nothing you can't figure out by thinking logically and using past experience.

My club said I could keep volume one, and I was wondering: is it possible to buy the artbox separately if I wish to continue buying the rest of the DVDs, or do I have to buy another copy of volume one along with the artbox?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1