• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highlander Anime Teaser

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
Not to put a damper on all of your excitement, but could someone please tell me why Highlander is being made into an anime? I admit, I know nothing about Highlander beyond the fact that it is a generally American franchise, but isn't that fact alone begging the question? From what I can tell, they're just capitalizing on the popularity of anime to make a new movie sell better. I'm not saying that the trailer didn't look stylish or anything, and all you Highlander fans seem excited, but I don't see why it's being turned into an anime.

Feel free to correct anything I've wrongly asserted, as I don't really know the franchise that well.
time_trapper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Not to put a damper on all of your excitement, but could someone please tell me why Highlander is being made into an anime?

Because they couldn't ever get a comic book adaptation of Highlander: The TV Series off the ground so when The Animatrix came out, the producers saw it as a way to revitalize the series for a new generation.

The only beef I have with this anime is that they chose that damnable futuristic setting AGAIN.

Dark future? Check.
Random flying people? Check.

The producers have long said Highlander 2 (The Quickening AND Renegade Versions) was not officially part of the series continuity and they made it official with the events seen in Highlander 4: Endgame. They also nullified the animated series continuity as well in that move, but who cares?

The problem is that they've gone BACK to that setting!

As long as the story is good, then that'll be okay. As a Highlander fan, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie. But you better believe I'd rather see one of the existing characters instead of yet another new MacLeod.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2