• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Hunter 3 G Sells 521,959 to Top Weekly Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Skyrim............ Interesting to see that the Japanese still appreciate traditional D&D........... Though why the big discrepancy in 4Gamer Reader Review, 70 (PS3) vs 92 (Xbox 360)..........
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that there was no interest tidbit about Famitsu giving out its first perfect score (40/40) to a western game.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Interesting that there was no interest tidbit about Famitsu giving out its first perfect score (40/40) to a western game.

Because Famitsu isn't really that good reviewing source and a flawed set-up.

Quote:
Though why the big discrepancy in 4Gamer Reader Review, 70 (PS3) vs 92 (Xbox 360)..........

Like with any big name title: fanboyism and payoffs.

Or maybe Microsoft's exclusive DLC or whatever. I heard the 360 version is the buggier and glitched of the two so if that's so the discrepancy makes even less sense.
Mike Hazama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
My Theory: It says READER review score, and since the 360 is practically dead in Japan anyone who has one is probably more into western games than those with a PS3. Skyrim is a western game so those fans will like it more. PS3 fans are more into Japanese game so they review it with that perspective. 360 fans rate it higher so badda bing badda boom.

I'd say 70 is a fair score for the game if it's high school grading system 70 (C or "Average") Maybe a 75 for a C+ or something. I got the PS3 version. Loooots of bugs and glitches that make the game pretty broken and almost unplayable. Lots of features are either broken from glitches or broken from bad game design (who put any points into Speech and Lockpicking? There's looooads of worthless skills in the game) Plus it only takes less than 10 hours to beat and the story is very uninteresting and not very good and the end fight is anti-climactic... I beat the boss in like 5 seconds and he just stood there and took my attacks since I had a skill that stunned the enemy for a second when I casted a fireball spell. Confused Can't imagine paying full price for it, I'm glad I rented it.. it seems like a perfect weekend game. Beat it, fool around a bit, then move on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Really? I've read several statements on the net that say it is the largest gaming magazine in terms of circulation and that it is very well respected in Japan. I would think Skyrim joining the tiny group of games that had earned a perfect score would be something big, as it had never been done before by a western game.

Why would you say that Famitsu is not a good reviewing source compared to 4gamer, the source of this article? I personally have no idea about all the different Japanese magazines.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Really? I've read several statements on the net that say it is the largest gaming magazine in terms of circulation and that it is very well respected in Japan. I would think Skyrim joining the tiny group of games that had earned a perfect score would be something big, as it had never been done before by a western game.

Why would you say that Famitsu is not a good reviewing source compared to 4gamer, the source of this article? I personally have no idea about all the different Japanese magazines.

Oh, it's definitely respected and all, but it also has a history of controversy and ire from Japanese gamers as well. Technically, it's an odd system.. 4 guys who combine their score together. Especially when it's almost like clockwork 39 is the highest most games get. I mean, it sure is a pretty nice coincidence all those games got 10s from all but 1 review who gave it a 9 to keep it out of the 40 Club. Actually if you look, their scores never really differ from each other more than 1. For once it'd be nice to see one of them give it a 9 and the other a 5, you know?

Dirge of Cerberus is an infamous controversial example. It had it's review delayed until 3 weeks after it came out, when the reviews always come out before the game does. Technical issues, I'm sure. When it came out, it got 28 (7/7/7/7) which is unofficially the lowest score that's still considered 'good' in the magazine before the game is considered bad. Square and Famitsu have always had a deep and respectable relationship with one another, so it's extremely nice the sales for it weren't influenced by a suspiciously-bare-minimum-to-please-developers score until 3 weeks after the game came out. To say there was controversy around that in the fandom would be an understatement. Another would be FF12's perfect score, which riled up quite a lot of Japanese gamers back in the day. I think Metal Gear Peace Walker was other one, since the magazine people actually appeared in ads for it.

Or you can simply say "How the heck do you give a buggy, unpolished game a perfect score? To say it isn't buggy or broken, and that alone shouldn't take away from it, is completely ridiculous."

No real opinion on 4gamer, but Famitsu has a complicated and controversial history. It's almost like the scores are saying what games you "should" play or what scores fans "want", rather than what they really deserve. I mean, Zelda fans threw an uproar when Twilight Princess got an 8.8 (or 38 in Famitsu). Skyward dang well better get a 40/40 like OOT and WW got (and it did). Not that it really matters or anything, I mean, MH3G got a 38 yet sold 521,959 in the first week. It's a respected magazine, but the reviews kind of aren't. You could probably find better articles on it via google if you want.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I don't know which source is better for review, but everything is just opinion. Famitsu will have 4 people review the game for them.
Those 4 people will give 1-10 points. the total is the Famitsu score.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
Now if only Capcom USA would wise up and release 3G here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1