• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disgaea Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I think it'll be great. That's if they stick to the original character designs, of course. I think they chose dis-guy-uh because it started the craze for that type of game (at least over here).

Anyway, as usual, I can't wait to see it.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Not surprise about Disgaea being turn into an anime hope they don't screw it up though.

Not sure if it was Nippon Ichi or the translators of the Phantom Brave game well one of the characters in the game he says "Wouldn't it be cool if Disgaea had an anime" I wonder if Nippon Ichi was hinting at something oh and also the same character says later on that "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Phantom Brave anime".

Maybe there will be more adapations of Nippon Ichi's games depending how popular Disgaea anime turns out. I hope it all goes well.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I'm definently looking forward to this, however, I'm betting that Geneon USA will probably get the licence prior to the Japanese TV airing, like they did with Hellsing Ultimate
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
This is great news to me... I highly doubt 4kids is going to want it though considering some of the games somewhat suggestive themes (I don't see how they're gonna get around the succubae even with editing) Not to metion the whole heaven/hell Christian religion theme too.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
I've been to too many disgaea anime discussion boards today. That was someone on another site who was worried about it getting liscensed by 4kids.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:28 am Reply with quote
hmm I hope there a scene were they go inside some ABC gum to level it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
This one better be dubbed w/ the games english voice cast when/if its brought over here Razz

A HORSE WEINER!?!?!!?
frubam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I had a fun time playing the original game, but I have my doubts when it comes to transitioning from a game to anime. While the characters are enjoyable, and the story a fun little romp, it may not be long and/or deep enough to structure an anime around it.

All one has to consider is Star Ocean EX. While I loved the game for Star Ocean 2, I certianly don't see it as a strong title, even for those of us who enjoyed the game.

well, i think it depends. Most game-to-anime series screw up because they try to cram a whole 50+ hr game into 8-10hrs. Star Ocean and Arc the Lad are 2 series I loved the game for, but the anime is less than average, mixed up/changed scenes and had a abrupt, almost non-sensical ending. One good game-to-anime show i did see was GPM(Gunparade March). While i can't really say i understood the game that much(it was in jpnese), the anime was good enough to keep an interest in because they did what SO and AtL did not; focus on the characters instead of the core story. It wasn't nearly the greatest nor funniest anime of the year, but it was at least a bit better than average. They could have made the ending something like spoiler[ Unit 5121 participating in a big last mission to destroy the Genjyu once and for all, but instead, they decided to make Hayami's and Mai's relationship the focal point in the last 4 eps[5 if you count when they were trapped together in ep 7]. Even before that, we get to see the harshness and fears of war, particularly referring to the moment when Mibuya died. ]

Even if Disgaea doesn't focus on only the chars, i don't see it being crammed into the show, as the game really isn't that long. Well, with lvl 500+, shouldn't take more than a couple of hrs, the approximate running time of the show I'm assuming(unless it's going to be a 3 ep Ova. Hopefully it's not).

And on a off-topic note: Star Ocean EX's sucks, 'cause Claude doesn't even have the capacity to come up with his own specials. He's gotta copy from Dias. Rena can't even fight (wtf? she's supposed to be an expert in martial arts), and Ashton, the coolest SO char, is the comic relief. It's pathetic.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
My guess for the length on Disgaea is that they'll do at least one episode for each in-game episode, and who knows maybe they'll even have episodes with cameos from the Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom chracters since Laharl, Etna, and Flonne show up in both those games
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
My guess for the length on Disgaea is that they'll do at least one episode for each in-game episode, and who knows maybe they'll even have episodes with cameos from the Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom chracters spoiler[since Laharl, Etna, and Flonne show up in both those games]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2