• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Bandai Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
I hope the R1 release gets the figures that the R2 releases got.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Riding on the success of Gundam SEED, I think GSD will have similar sales if Bandai keeps the DVD production fast paced. Thing is that they'll have a tough time with the middle eps seeing as the pace slowed way down and it might discourage potential buyers if they get a little bored with the series if Bandai doesn't keep a tight release schedule. However, I think they'll do fine if they do a dual DVD release for most of the DVDs like they did with Gundam SEED (only dvd 1 and dvd 10 were individual releases. VOlumes 2 & 3 were released together, then volumes 4 & 5 a month later, then 6 & 7 a month after that, then 8 & 9 several months later, then volume 10 about a month after 8 & 9's release).

One of the things bandai did really well when releasing SEED was that they were able to release all TEN volumes in under a year's time, and each one a good high quality release. I just hope that they do the same with GSD.
i_luv_manga/anime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
The day Bandai doesn't get the license for a Gundam series is the day that hell freezes over, the day the world will end, and the day I'll eat my hat. (Did I get enough cliches in there?)

Bandai has the license for all the gundam series?, and so is GSD even translated into english yet? and the date of release isn't confirmed?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
i_luv_manga/anime wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
The day Bandai doesn't get the license for a Gundam series is the day that hell freezes over, the day the world will end, and the day I'll eat my hat. (Did I get enough cliches in there?)

Bandai has the license for all the gundam series?, and so is GSD even translated into english yet? and the date of release isn't confirmed?

No, Bandai of America has a license for most of the Gundam series from Japan right now. No American anime licensor other than Bandai has the rights to any Gundam series. However, since Bandai of Japan produces Gundam, their biggest franchise, it's safe to say that they will not allow any American anime licensor to acquire a Gundam license before Bandai of America has a chance to license it. In short, Bandai of America gets all the Gundam series because Bandai of Japan makes them all.

I'm sure that they've started to translate the first episodes into English, since they have acquired the license, but they most assuredly haven't started the dub, and they have not set a date for any of the volumes.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
heh, i pedicted Mai Hime would be licensed by the end of the summer.
Galiron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
My guess would be they already have it and have the translation and dub done or close to it and since they got it so long ago they had to be doing something once GS was done and remember GSd has been done in japan for a while now not on tv but production wise so its not like they have to wait for it to be finished on tv before starting work on it.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
I heard that they actually SCREENED Gundam SEED Destiny at AX.
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
Bandai Japan owns Sunrise, the animation studio that has animated every Gundam TV show. So basically Bandai has the license for every Gundam show and just haven't made announcements on some such as X and Turn A because producing them is not in their plans right now. And I'm sure Bandai US has a contract that allows them to be the sole distrubitor of Gundam. A company other than Bandai will never be able to license Gundam, unless by some freak internal problem between the companies that Bandai JP and Bandai US start to hate each other...

I heard they screend Seed Destiny at AX as well, can anyone confirm this?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Bandai is releasing Mai-Hime in english?

There's a remote chance they'll release it in Swedish, but it's unlikely Razz
Since it's Bandai we might well be getting Crispin Freeman as Reito Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Woot I've been waiting a while ofr Mai Hime to be licensed. It's one of my favourite series and can't wait to add it to my collection! Cool I hope we get an original art box and nice looking dvd covers. Embarassed I hope Air TV is licensed soon as well.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Very Happy Well, IH've been waiting for it to get licensed, but I didn't know it would be so soon. Hahaha, I can't wait till the DVD's come out. Anime hyper Hm...I just hope they do a really good job on dubbing. This is one of my favorite animes...
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
Galiron wrote:
My guess would be they already have it and have the translation and dub done or close to it and since they got it so long ago they had to be doing something once GS was done and remember GSd has been done in japan for a while now not on tv but production wise so its not like they have to wait for it to be finished on tv before starting work on it.

They can't have the entire series done already considering that GSD is still airing in Japan (episode 37 just aired this past saturday).
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wahoo, can't wait for the English version of Mai-hime.

This is also one of my favorite anime shows thus, I rated it excellent on ANN's review ratings.

No one knows who will do the english dubbing or how good will it be but I'm gonna be positive about the success for this English version.

As for GS Destiny English version, I also am excited for its release (and I think Cartoon Network has secured this title already). I already expect an early 2006 release (CN would go first followed by CN Asia/Philppines after a month or two).

I'm really looking forward to both of these.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost banking on a Fall 2005 release for GSD, seeing as they aquired early and already have a solid SEED fanbase who is biting at the bridle for GSD if they currently aren't already avidly downloading the fansubs and already saving up for the DVDs (I'd be in that later category of dling fansubs and saving for the DVDs Very Happy). Can't say I'm at all excited about the dub, since Bandai's record for dub quality is, IMHO, in the trash can and still digging. Though that hardly matters to me since 1) I don't even bother watching CN and 2) watch the subtitles w/ j-audio on the DVDs anyway. And for me, bandai's word with the subtitling and video work is good enough for the flatscreen TV anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2