• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20th Century Boys Delay

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
I was surprised to hear that Viz wanted to release them side by side. It really doesn't make sense to me to release earlier and later works of the same person simultaneously, because as he said, artist's style gradually change over time.

And as long as Monster gets here first, I'm still happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eelozano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed 20th Century Boys a bit more...they do have slightly different artwork though.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I remember reading Urusei Yatsura after I had already read a lot of Ranma and my reaction to the art was "huh, so this is how she used to draw." It didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the manga. Of course, just cause it works that way for Rumiko doesn't mean it'll work for him.

This is a shame, though, because at Viz's current release rate (one volume every other month for everything that isn't a mega-best seller) it will take a full three years for Monster to come out. That's a long wait for 20th Century Boys...
Demaar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
It's quite funny you know... all of the manga I mentioned in the Viz survey on their site have been licensed over the past few months... coincidence?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
I was actually hoping for 20th first. Aside from the fact that I've finished Monster, I think 20th is a supirior manga and a real progression in terms of both art and writing for Urasawa. I can understand his reasoning, but it's a long wait...
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, I hope this isn't a release that takes years and years.

I've been waiting for Monster and 20th Century Boys forever. This will be easier on my wallet, but arrghh....
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
At this rate it's going to take well over 6 years for 20th Century Boys to reach the point it is in Japan. Since Monster is 18 volumes and 20th Century Boys' 19th volume just came out two weeks ago...
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, if we want 20th Century Boys faster, all we hafta do is make Monster uber popular, right? ^^;;;
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Monster has to sell well. It's too popular not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
If Viz advertises it correctly, trying to reach not just the Otaku crowd but readers of "mainstream" thrillers as well, Monster could be a BIG hit. It's the kind of manga that could be very popular with people who aren't normal manga readers or anime fans. Viz just needs to try to break into that market. Hopefully they'll succeed, Monster will go monthly like Kenshin, and we'll get 20th Century Boys in half the time.
donkeychips

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
or if it does really bad they'll cancel it?
KingKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If Viz advertises it correctly, trying to reach not just the Otaku crowd but readers of "mainstream" thrillers as well, Monster could be a BIG hit. It's the kind of manga that could be very popular with people who aren't normal manga readers or anime fans. Viz just needs to try to break into that market. Hopefully they'll succeed, Monster will go monthly like Kenshin, and we'll get 20th Century Boys in half the time.

The problem with that is that it's hard to market to a more mainstream crowd without americanizing it. I'm mainly talking about flopping it, as the story is fairly european to begin with, but even that much is something most monster fans dont want to see.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
KingKoopa wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

The problem with that is that it's hard to market to a more mainstream crowd without americanizing it. I'm mainly talking about flopping it, as the story is fairly european to begin with, but even that much is something most monster fans don't want to see.

"Americanizing" it isn't nessisary. The comicbook fans who read manga don't care about the format nowadays, only the content. In any case, Monster has a big enough fanbase and enough hype surrounding the anime that I would be very suprised if it didn't sell well.
And how will 20th Century Boys take six years to catch up with the Japanese release? Chances are that Viz will release it bimonthly like they do with most longer series. They might even decide to do it monthly: they did it with Vagabond, and that doesn't sell anywhere near Rurouni Kenshin numbers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1