• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Long Live the Fighters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Man, I loved the song "Oh Angel." I remember seeing the movie on Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday-night anime movie block, sticking my computer mic next to the screen, and recording it (because it was that long ago).

"Oh Angel, come greet the dawn it's a brand new day. Oh Angel, let burn the passion that fires your soul..."

(and hey, I found it on youtube, so you can hear it if you haven't before.)
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Tell me Todd, is there anything better
than showing your moves at the Gyrozetter?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh god if that Gyrozetter thing is true then I WILL find a way to play it at a local arcade.

I WILL OH GOD it looks AMAZING
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Man, I loved the song "Oh Angel." I remember seeing the movie on Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday-night anime movie block, sticking my computer mic next to the screen, and recording it (because it was that long ago).

"Oh Angel, come greet the dawn it's a brand new day. Oh Angel, let burn the passion that fires your soul..."

I drug my stereo across my room. balanced it on top of a trunk, and plugged it into my TV to record it from the VHS I rented. (my stereo's a 2 casette deck/turntable/radio thing, it's pretty big.) I still have that tape somewhere...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Tell me Todd, is there anything better
than showing your moves at the Gyrozetter?

And thus the prophecy is fulfilled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
So,it looks like Nintendo's going to combine "Pokemon" with Oda Nobunaga. From what I've read,that won't be the most bizarre portrayal. One "Sakura Wars" video game had Nobunaga trying to conquer the United States. Is that weird or what?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Dessa wrote:

I drug my stereo across my room. balanced it on top of a trunk, and plugged it into my TV to record it from the VHS I rented. (my stereo's a 2 casette deck/turntable/radio thing, it's pretty big.) I still have that tape somewhere...

I think you've got me beat there.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition: Quite possibly the stupidest idea I've seen in a while next to that stupid dice-based Tales game. Ash can't catch them all, now you want Nobunaga to do it? God, what is wrong with these developers? -_-

Gyrozetter: What you put in the annotation, I laughed so hard. I just pictured that in detail. Why would I find myself to be the only person laughing at the brat getting caught in the arcade machine mid-transformation, the only one in the crowd to go "ha-ha!"? Probably because the brat just wandered next to it when everyone told him not to (reminds me an awful lot of that one video on YouTube of that toddler getting kicked by that dancer because her parents let her wander near him). Anyway, the transforming arcade cabinet sounds really nifty to be honest, almost like something you'd expect to see in some futuristic anime or something. I could give this one a shot if it gets localized. We do need a fresh new mecha series here.

Sumioni: Demon Arts: A demon is the main character? Oooh, neat. Judging from the screenshot alone, I have to say we need more artistic games like this. Did I mention having a demon as the main character is neat? My guess is he's an oni. That could be one unique experience. :3

.hack: That's odd, I thought the .hack series was supposed to end with that highly unsuccessful Link game (rather I've read and been told it was highly unsuccessful). Honestly, I think my .hack craze died with the Roots anime. I never played the GU series at all (though some part of me feels that I should have). I guess it's cool that they're coming out with a new game, but coming here might be another story entirely.

Project Draco: The Pern novels were boring to you? Personally I would love to see more games that implement human/dragon stories like that. Heck, I'd love to make my own game like that if I could.

Mighty Switch Force: The Beagle Boys turned into anime women? Lol, Todd where do you come up with this stuff? XP

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gyrozetter: What you put in the annotation, I laughed so hard.

Woah, I didn't even know there WERE annotations!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I would actually argue that KoFXIII ISN'T about combos; the timing is far too strict for that so it's more about the single hits and frame traps than anything. It's the Virtua Fighter of the 2D fighting scene
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've actually become more of a SNK 2d fighting game boy in the past few years even though these have been their worst years. Granted, it was only in the past few years that their old fighting games were more readily available on other platforms, so a lot of what I played was from their pre-respirator years.

I remember when I got Third Strike and KOF XI at the same time for the PS2, and thought KOF XI was just the afterthought of the purchase. Turns out I ended up playing that one a lot more than 3S. Don't get me wrong, 3S is technically awesome, I just find the SNK style of gameplay more fun.

Real Bout FF and Mark of the Wolves are my favourite 2d fighting games out there.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Hearing a new .hack game is on the way really makes my day. Then I remember how much Bandai hates the franchise in America now, completely passing on .hack//Link and letting someone else (FUNi) release the Quantum OAV, and I become sad again. Hopefully it's a PS3 or Vita title so it has a better chance of release. Yeah, I'm still not over the whole Link thing, it's not like Bandai has never released a bad game over here before...

Glad to hear KOFXIII is so much improved, XII almost killed my interest in the franchise for me. I'll have to pick up a copy once the Holidays are over. Bandai is releasing a bunch of KOF figures in their D-Arts line next year, I'm planning on getting all of them, it's been a while since I've bought figures from the series.

(Edit) Just read that the new .hack game won't be anime style, but photo realistic. Interesting departure from the rest of the entire franchise. That's a tactic they like to use when trying to make a game that's appealing to the west so at least that's promising. Not sure how well this will go over with established fans, I'll reserve criticism until I actually see it in action.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
though at least the characters all look closer to humans than Obari's bug-people.

Well, the only artist who does a good job of rendering the SNK fighters is Saigado. But unfortunately, it's NSFW. Or so I've heard. Rolling Eyes
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
KOF 13 got the Editor's choice award as best Fighter of the year at gamespot, so the game is clearly getting solid dap, and at minimum saves the franchise from going belly up.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
KOF 13 got the Editor's choice award as best Fighter of the year at gamespot, so the game is clearly getting solid dap, and at minimum saves the franchise from going belly up.

Yeah this game's getting a phenomenal reaction. It's already been in two different major tournaments, a first for any KOF game that I can remember. It's being seen as the last honest fighter in a sea of hand-holding execution barrier-less titles, and it's consistently reaching higher viewer numbers on streams each outing. Suffice to say, KOFXIII is blowing up in a way it never had before, at least in America. In Latin America/Asia, that was a given.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2