• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OAV 3 DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but the reason Tenchi's mother isn't Achika is because Tenchi Muyo in Love takes place in the TV series contintuity. O_o;
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I did a bit of touch up to the review to reflect this better.

-t
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those "Tenchi Muyo! got me into anime fans". Back in high school on Toonami during the afternoons......

Dang, that was a while ago...

I'll definatly be picking this one up. It will be great to catch up with some of my old favorite characters.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I got into anime through Toonami around the same time as well. Started with Sailor Moon S (had a little bit of background on it since a friend of mine was a Sailor Moon fan), saw a promo about Tenchi and started watching it too. Both of them pretty much hooked me on anime.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I am also a member of the "Tenchi made me an anime fan" club. I admit, I watched Sailor Moon and Pokémon and DBZ et al, but TM! was the one that really got me into anime and not just cartoons.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi is approximately 1/3 of what got me into anime (the other two being Gundam Wing and Sailor Moon). Tenchi has a special place in my heart, and I will definitely get this at somepoint. As far as I know, there is no v1+box, so a box set is virtually guaranteed. As such, I think I'll just wait for a box set to come out.
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm such an old school fan, Tenchi Muyo! was my first anime and I saw it back in 1998 on the Sci-fi channel.
mechadamuramu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Lady Mercury and the first Tenchi Muyo thing I ever saw was on the Sci-Fi channel. By that time I was already an anime fan, so that's pretty old school. Yeah I don't know about this whole "tenchi's mom is kiyone" business. Achika is such a better name, and there is already someone named Kiyone! Yeah it's not in this story continuum, but whatever, they shouldn't first name someone else Kiyone and then create a "different" partner for Mihoshi as part of her former Galaxy Police career. Seems that they wanted to correct some things "after the fact."

I watched my friends copy of this DVD today and for those of you that are Tenchi fans this is definitely a good piece of work. True there are lots of meaningless characters introduced but that's just what makes Tenchi a unique series. I missed the voice actress for Ryoko, it's blatantly obvious that they switched her out, but she does a good job at making Ryoko seem to be the same character as before. I wouldn't say she does a better job, but what can you expect. For a while we thought that some of the other voice actors had been switched out too, but maybe 10 years or so has just aged on the actors some. I found myself being more comfortable watching the Sub, which is really different for me. Besides that everyone should trust the re-viewer because he did a good job at looking at the anime objectively.

I liked it, hopefully you will too, peace out.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, mechadamuramu, Mihoshi's partner was ALWAYS named Noike.

Masaki Kajishima created the Tenchi OAV from his novels, but moved onto other projects before finishing his story. It was an assistant writer from the OAV's who'd written her own Tenchi novels (much to Kajishima's displeasure) who took the Kiyone name and gave it to Mihoshi's partner in the television series.

Kajishima didn't change Mihoshi's partner's name to Noike. He used the name he'd given Mihoshi's partner nearly 15 years ago.

As far as Mona Marshall's performance as Ryoko....... She does a good job with Ryoko's emotional spectrum, and isn't horrific to hear, but I have a huge qualm with the absolute lack of femininity that Marshall brings to the character. Ryoko is sultry and full of feminine wiles that she uses with gleeful abandon. Mona Marshall's voice seemingly erases that memorable aspect of her character.
KahnIsHitler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mona usually plays little boys voices and would be better off sticking with doing so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1