• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cromartie Namesake Not Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackBassV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
They just need to say that Cromartie is an old scotish clan name.

Take a look here http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/families/mackenzies_cromartie.htm.

Suing because something has the same name is stupid, especially when it's just the surname. Or is he going to sue every one else who uses the name cromartie?

There's Cromartie Kilns for a start http://www.cromartie.co.uk/kilns.htm
Rikabu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Wow.. People sue about almost anything these days.. Anime hyper
ampersand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
GATSU
Xenos: You're thinking of when he was sued by Neil Gaiman for a character he created in Spawn.

I believe you're thinking of Neil Gaiman's suing McFarlane for unauthorized use of his Angela character. The whole thing about Image is that characters (at least back then) were all creator-owned properties, so even if Spawn is owned by McFarlane, the Angela character is owned by Neil Gaiman. Unfortunately, McFarlane reused Angela (and in fact created whole armies of fallen angel-warriors based on her) several times throughout the series.

All I know is that if anyone were ever to use my name in an anime, I wouldn't sue-- I'd be rather proud of it! And yeah, it's also like director Spike Lee suing the Spike TV cable channel. It's ridiculous, but Spike Lee did win!
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Whoa....I never heard of this. I totally lovr the anime, but I didn't know the high schools were named after people....
aorta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
totalgeek wrote:
I've never been a Montreal Expos fan

There are Montreal Expos fans? I thought they were regulated to the realm of myth and Fox Mulder's filing cabinet. Wink

The Expos don't exist anymore. They moved to Washington, DC and are now called the Nationals.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
ampersand: The Spike Lee suit was because Spike TV implied that Lee endorsed the channel.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Technically speaking, Warren Cromatie will lose the case since his name is not copyrighted. =P
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if Dr. Doom has been bothered by any publicity generated by the Fantastic Four movie?

http://www.wright.edu/~travis.doom/

Laughing
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
aorta wrote:
The Expos don't exist anymore. They moved to Washington, DC and are now called the Nationals.

Yes, and unless Lance Armstrong wins his 7th straight Tour de France, the Nationals could be considered the biggest sports story of 2005 with the way they've been playing this season. Smile

Neoth wrote:
Wait... so a nobody baseball player is suing a film, because of his last name. Oh man... some logic there... While he is at it... Why not sue every one else who has the name, "Warren"?

Here are some statistics on Warren Cromartie from a couple of sources:

From Baseball Reference.com:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/cromawa01.shtml

And from Baseball Almanac.com:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=cromawa01

The Baseball Almanac source has a picture of his 1979 Topps card for your viewing pleasure.

Cromartie is currently the manager of the Samurai Bears, who play in the Golden Baseball League, an independent league of baseball professionals (so called because none of the franchises are affiliated with any of the current MLB franchises). The Samurai Bears are the first ever all-Japanese team to play as a regular member of a United States professional sports league. According to the Bears' website that I provided, Cromartie is one of the greatest western players to compete in the Japanese major leagues. For seven years between 1984 and 1990 he was a feared slugger, perennial all-star and the Central League MVP in 1989, when he won the batting title with a .378 average and led his team to the Japan Series Championship. Playing for the beloved Yomiuri Giants, and under the legendary Sadaharu Oh as his manager, Cromartie developed a keen sense of the Japanese style of baseball, the culture of Japan and a deep appreciation for the unique nuances of the Japanese version of this sport. He is also a best-selling author as he chronicled his time in Japan with the book "Slugging It Out In Japan."

He also had a decent careerwith the Montreal Expos. He holds the Expos/Nationals franchise record for most at-bats in a season with 659 ABs in 1979. He ranks in the Expos/Nationals' top 10 in career batting average (.280 - ranked 10th), games played (1,038 - 5th), at bats (3,796 - 5th), runs scored (446 - 7th), hits (1,063 - 6th), total bases (1,525 - 7th), doubles (222 - 7th), triples (30 - 5th), and extra-base hits (312 - 8th). He aslo played briefly for the Kansas City Royals in 1991 after his long, successful stint in Japan ended.

So to call Cromartie a "nobody baseball player" is a definite misnomer - al least in the view of Japanese baseball fans. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Good. Now it can be released here by companies we all know and love. (*nudges at ADV and Media Blasters*) Most likely, it was a disclaimer in front of the film.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Slightly off-topic, isn't there a Cromartie that was supposed to play football for Florida State Univ. this year, but had a season-ending injury or something?

Boy, I hope I don't get sued by one of the animators of Robot Chicken for using his name
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Slightly off-topic, isn't there a Cromartie that was supposed to play football for Florida State Univ. this year, but had a season-ending injury or something?

That would be Antonio Cromartie. I don't know if he's related to Warren Cromartie, though.
mako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:38 am Reply with quote
I read some articles (Japanese) said that they settled this matter (the live action movie stuff) FOR NOW. I think the movie will have a caption explaining that the movie has nothing to do with the baseball player Mr. Warren Cromartie, or something like that... Cromartie's lawyer(s) said that they were considering civil suit.

I am very disappointed because I thought Cromartie was a cool person. (He was a big baseball player in Japan when I was a teenager.) I read his comment in Japanese news regarding this matter. According to some articles, he was upset because his name was used for a high school for delinquents when he was trying to help children/teenagers. Of course, who knows what exactly he said. (obviously it was translated into Japanese.) But I didn't like that comment because I feel that when you try helping children/teenagers, you shouldn't discliminate them by categorizing them normal kids and delinquent kids. Actually, kids who people call delinquents are the ones who need the help.

Anyway, the live action movie stuff is settled for now, but who knows what comes next for manga and anime. (There is actually a speculation/rumor going around that this whole thing is done for both benefits. Movie advertizement and Cromartie's activities with Samurai Bears and stuff... Then again, this is just a speculation/rumor by some Japanese media people.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote
I don't even really consider them delinquents, because other than getting into fights, they don't rob people. And the ones who do aren't even enrolled in the school. I think of the main characters as students trying to find themselves, and only pretending to be thugs to avoid standing out. If anything, I think the series in general is actually a positive influence on youth, since it encourages them to think with more than their fists.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
I know that American movies typically have a disclaimer saying that all similarities to real-life people are coincidental or something like that. Perhaps this is all CHS needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3