• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman and the Half-Blood Princess

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't listed in the fantasy recommendations. That seems to be everyone's cup of tea lately. Reading that "Fantasy Anime" feature sure brought back a lot of nostalgia... It's sure been a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think it's notworthy to mention that Junni Kokki was rerun by NHK and usualy anime doesn't get a second run in Japan. I would imagine that if there is any chance to make more that they will.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Christ, did you HAVE to link to that fantasy anime article I wrote 4 years ago?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For some bigger titles, I’d put Inuyasha at the top of it even though you’d have to swim through 167 episodes and pray you never have to listen to the dub.

Umm. . . huh?

The Inuyasha dub is generally regarded as one of the better dubs out there, based on people I've talked to and traffic in this and other forums and magazines. I've even heard a few dedicated purists say they actually prefer the dub in this case. (I know I do, but I'm not a purist.)

To each his/her own, I guess. But I think a lot of people will disagree with you on that point.

Otherwise a very informative column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Scared a future employer might read it and your Job progression will stagnate? (I linked to it, no Rebecca)

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
For some bigger titles, I’d put Inuyasha at the top of it even though you’d have to swim through 167 episodes and pray you never have to listen to the dub.

Umm. . . huh?

The Inuyasha dub is generally regarded as one of the better dubs out there, based on people I've talked to and traffic in this and other forums and magazines. I've even heard a few dedicated purists say they actually prefer the dub in this case. (I know I do, but I'm not a purist.)

To each his/her own, I guess. But I think a lot of people will disagree with you on that point.

Hey, people are always disagreeing with me with my position on the Fullmetal Alchemist dub, which has an inexplicable number of fans.

Personally though, I think IY has a pretty good dub.

My main confusion comes with anyone saying .hack//SIGN is in any way, shape, or form a "good series". More like a "good sleep aid", since nothing happens in it, besides conversation after conversation. Sure, it's setting screams "fantasy", but its story... well, its story doesn't scream anything. Because then it might wake you up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ms. Answerman wrote:
You’re lucky you got your hands on the original episodes since ADV did not renew the rights to the earlier episodes. There are four series available in the US: Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R, Sailor Moon S, and Sailor Moon SuperS. The manga has also been translated but the rights to it have expired so you might have trouble finding the series on the shelves.

Searching the news archives, the reason why AD Vision did not renew the rights to distribute Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R was because the creators of the series (mainly Toei Animation, I believe) decided against continuing the availability of the home video in the U.S. Luckily, I was able to obtain the uncut versions of the first two SM series when they came out back in 2003. They're my most prized possessions in my anime collection. Very Happy

Ms. Answerman wrote:

Rebecca, could you please explain to us why you think that the Inuyasha dub is horrible? Confused I don't see anything wrong with it - in fact, I think that the dub acting is one of the series' strenghts. All of the actors, most especially Richard Ian Cox(Inuyasha, and one of my favorite VAs) and Moneca Stori (Kagome), do an exceptional job in capturing the emotions and the essence of their characters. You're definitely in the minority on this, but everyone has their own preferences, of course. Cool

Zac wrote:

Why not? I think it's great to go back to some of these archived articles and do a little research on a particular genre, especially for those who are new to both this site and anime in general. I'm been using ANN for a year and a half now, and the ability to use the archived articles and reviews to do some research is one of the best features this site has to offer. Heck, I still have the early issues of Anime Insider from 2002 and still refer to them if I need to do some research on a particular item or topic. Wink

(For the record, Zac, I thought that article you wrote was pretty good. Wink )
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My main confusion comes with anyone saying .hack//SIGN is in any way, shape, or form a "good series". More like a "good sleep aid", since nothing happens in it, besides conversation after conversation. Sure, it's setting screams "fantasy", but its story... well, its story doesn't scream anything. Because then it might wake you up.

Totally agreed. I was thinking about pointing that out in my previous post, but I realize that people have different taste, and .hack does have a solid fan following. But sure, it's not a show I would personally recommend.

biliano wrote:
Luckily, I was able to obtain the uncut versions of the first two SM series when they came out back in 2003. They're my most prized possessions in my anime collection.

Ditto on both counts. Wink Funny that such a dated, cliché-filled show can fill me with such immeasurable amounts of blithe, girly enchantment. Nothing else in my collection comes quite as close.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked .hack//SIGN, but whether or not you can enjoy it depends on how much you need happening, since it's incredibly slow. Plot-wise, the story could have happened in 13 episodes instead of 26 and it still would have had time to be slow, but character-wise, the relationships and character development would have been lost. I always tell people before I recommend it, "You're going to love the setting/atmosphere, love the music, and love the visuals, but it is almost the definition of a character-development anime, so if you need lots of action or a plot that's more than some subtle mysteries and a few big events that unfold slowly, you should try something else."

As for Inuyasha's dub, I hate it, especially compared to the original seiyuu. The English VAs definately bring their own interpretations to the characters, but I still prefer the original VAs. That said, a few of my friends don't mind watching the dub, and it's not so horrible that I don't watch every new episode on Adult Swim. Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:

Umm. . . huh?

It shouldn't have to be explained that in the Japanese Feudal era that Kaede is speaking in an Old English style while no one else in that era is doing. Something that is entirely unnecessary for someone who is supposed to be Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'll agree that the plot progresses at a maddeningly slow pace (it could have easily been four or five episodes shorter), but as others have pointed out, .hack//SIGN is a series much more about the environment and the character and player interaction that goes on in it. Plot and action are just secondary considerations, if that. A friend of mine, who's both a moderate anime fan and an avid long-time player of MMORPGs like Everquest, has told me that the series is dead-on in its portrayal of the personalities and motivations players bring into such games and the kinds of interactions that go on within them.

Hmmm, I'm experiencing quite a bit of topic drift here, so I had better end this now. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vukir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
Well, in deffence of .Hack//SIGN, the music alone is worth watching the series. Aside from a lot of Yoko Kano work, I would say, in my own opinion, that SIGN has one of the best audio scores available in anime. So, even if the plot is a bit slow (and if you do not follow the story into the video game, you might as well be wasting your time), at least listen to its music Anime smile. Of course, I loved .Hack all the way through. From SIGN to DUSK, even my avatar is from there.

As for the Inuyasha DUB... I stand in the middle. Richard Cox and Moneca Stori do good jobs portraying Inuyasha and Kagome, but the rest of the work is horrible. Kaede, for example, as well as Kikyo and countless villians are nothing but shrills in my ears compaired to the original Japanese VA's. Although, I would say it is a bit too far to say 'pray' to never hear it, I would at least say 'try to stick with the sub'. (And the Dub Vs. Sub is a topic that still won't go away. Ya either like it, or you don't).

Dubs to pray you never see are Escaflowne and Macross: Clash of the Bionoids. But, I am sure there are even those out there who would deffend the dubs forever and a day.

But of course, if Rebecca hates the dub, then that is Rebecca's opinion. It IS her's, after all. And no amount of whinning about it will get her to change her mind.

And of course, Card Captor Sakura is still the greatest. Very Happy
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I was dissapointed DN Angel didn't make the recommends. The love triangle is much more than a sub plot, it's sort of, the plot. It's a major factor in why things happen the way they do. It's really a lovely little shoujo. And personally it was a series I much preferred to InuYasha (which I can't watch more than five minutes of the English dub of, and have been told by several people that absolutely nothing comes of those 167 episodes, so I'll stick to what little manga I've read) or .hack//sign which I also couldn't finish (though my friend adores it and she will probably get me to finish the series eventually).

And on the Sailor Moon subject, I too treasure my uncut boxsets. Though I was a bit miffed when episode 67 wasn't included. I don't quite understand how you can licence all but one episode of a series... Confused Ah well.. Perhaps I shall be able to find it somewhere..

I'm debating with myself as to whether or not I'm going to search out the English dub version of the first two series of Sailor Moon, I have about half of it on VHS that I taped every Saturday morning for several month, but there is something to be said for DVDs. Esspecially if you're a completist...

(and in response to the title of the article. I have now read the sixth installment of Harry Potter twice! and at the midnight party I ran into some fellow otaku, Harry Potter and anime *sigh* life is good.)
Akagi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It shouldn't have to be explained that in the Japanese Feudal era that Kaede is speaking in an Old English style while no one else in that era is doing. Something that is entirely unnecessary for someone who is supposed to be Japanese.

is anybody else familiar with olde english? is it just me that thinks they are using the word "ye" incorrectly? If I recall, "ye" was an improper translation of Celtic Runes... the rune for the article "the" looks a lot like the roman letter "y." And that is how we get "ye olde tavern" or something like that.
Wouldn't a better word for Kaede to use be "thou?"
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Akagi wrote:
is anybody else familiar with olde english? is it just me that thinks they are using the word "ye" incorrectly? If I recall, "ye" was an improper translation of Celtic Runes... the rune for the article "the" looks a lot like the roman letter "y." And that is how we get "ye olde tavern" or something like that.
Wouldn't a better word for Kaede to use be "thou?"

Hee, I remember a old post about that... I dug the old thread up for you. Hopefully it answers your question.
Delthayre wrote:
Kaede is a shining example of lazy dub scripting. Her constant use of "ye" is not only annoying, but also incorrect. "Ye," is the nominative plural form of, "you," not merely an archaic form of it. The old system for the second person singular/plural pronoun used to be as follows:

Nominative thou (sing) ye (plural)
Accusative thee (sing) you (plural)
Genitive thy* (sing) your (plural)
*thine before a vowel or h
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2