• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Cafes Grow In Stature

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, I wish they had a couple of those in my city. I'd be there 24-7.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yeah that would be cool if they grew outside Japan
Usagi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
*nods* If there was one in NY... *___* I would be there every single day Anime hyper
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:

Wouldn't that get kind of boring?
Jester Fizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard of or go to any outside of Japan?
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
most "manga kissa," including the "Big Three" — Gran Cyber Cafe, Manga Gera Gera and Manga Manboo — have a "nightpack" rate of around 1,200 yen
Maybe they forgot the extra zero on that 1,200 yen part...
Jester Fizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
May we all hope to one day endure the full pleasure of manga cafe's.. well if they are pleasing at all, I may never know Crying or Very sad
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:

Well Barnes and noble is a good spot for a similar deal but yes it would be cool to have places dedicated to manga where you could buy/sell/trade manga and enjoy snacks and hang out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
JapaneseInternet Cafe: You pay like 4 dollar an hour and you can read any manga you want within that hour (an average reader take about 30 to 50 min to read a manga text). There's also tons of video to check out and internet for you to browse. They open like 24 hour and after like 12 oclock, you can pay a flat rate fee of like 11 dollar and spend the whole night reading manga until morning time. The coffee are free. An average american kid here in the U.S. will not pay this much to read manga when they go to bookstore like borders with their mommies and read for free all day long.

And one more thing, manga companies despise manga cafe because they don't believe in paying royal ties for the stuff they charge fan to rent. All the profit goes to the owner of the cafe.

Jester Fizzle wrote:
May we all hope to one day endure the full pleasure of manga cafe's.. well if they are pleasing at all, I may never know Crying or Very sad

That really depend on the people there. I know many Lan Internet Cafe are pretty crappy because of all the shitty kids there like to cause trouble for other people trying to place a nice game of counterstriek with thier friends.

However, a lot of popular Taiwanese flavor tea shop around here have stack of manga anthologies (in chinese) for you to read for free.
Abel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
JapaneseInternet Cafe: You pay like 4 dollar an hour and you can read any manga you want within that hour (an average reader take about 30 to 50 min to read a manga text). There's also tons of video to check out and internet for you to browse. They open like 24 hour and after like 12 oclock, you can pay a flat rate fee of like 11 dollar and spend the whole night reading manga until morning time. The coffee are free.

Some manga kissa charge by the half hour. The rate is usually ¥230 - ¥300 and the rate will be discounted if you stay for hours. Drinks and food are not free at most. Mamboo has two different rates. One hour for about ¥450 or one hour for ¥850. The difference being that one does not include free drinks, the other does. Bear in mind that Japanese have smaller portions then we do. Most will have a drink with one refill in an hour.

The cafe I use charges per increment of 10 minutes. I can get an hour for ¥420 or three hours for ¥900. 12 hours will cost ¥2000 and 24 hours will cost ¥3000. Rate from 00:00 - 08:00 is ¥100 an hour.

Manga/Internet cafe are great places to be if you missed the last train. Staying the night will be cheaper then the cab fare. In the summer they tend to be busy as they are air conditioned.

Quote:
An average american kid here in the U.S. will not pay this much to read manga when they go to bookstore like borders with their mommies and read for free all day long.

I agree however it is not just the kiddies who do this. You'll note how many people are proud that they do this. I really wonder if a cafe here would really do well. It would not appeal to everyone.

Quote:
That really depend on the people there. I know many Lan Internet Cafe are pretty crappy because of all the shitty kids there like to cause trouble for other people trying to place a nice game of counterstriek with thier friends.

That is something I do not see in Japan. Most people in the cafe are adults and keep to themselves. Even before the law stating that kids are not allowed in cafe after 22:00 was enacted, I never saw kids.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
JapaneseInternet Cafe: You pay like 4 dollar an hour and you can read any manga you want within that hour (an average reader take about 30 to 50 min to read a manga text). There's also tons of video to check out and internet for you to browse. They open like 24 hour and after like 12 oclock, you can pay a flat rate fee of like 11 dollar and spend the whole night reading manga until morning time. The coffee are free.

Some manga kissa charge by the half hour. The rate is usually ¥230 - ¥300 and the rate will be discounted if you stay for hours. Drinks and food are not free at most. Mamboo has two different rates. One hour for about ¥450 or one hour for ¥850. The difference being that one does not include free drinks, the other does. Bear in mind that Japanese have smaller portions then we do. Most will have a drink with one refill in an hour.

Then i'm sure you visit GeraGera before.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
An average american kid here in the U.S. will not pay this much to read manga when they go to bookstore like borders with their mommies and read for free all day long.

And in the process, mangle, wear out, and make a mess of these sections. Ever seen these places on Friday Nights? Sheer Madness.

Not to mention that there are institutions called "Libraries" that also negate the concept of Manga Cafes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1