• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Viz Manga [2005-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I know D.Gray-man has a little cult fanbase right now, and I enjoyed what I read of Black Cat...

I gotta agree... I realy enjoied what I've read of Black Cat.

plus, you gotta face it... so much manga has been made it's almost impossible to make anything entirely new without shades of any other manga in it. so, so long as it's still an enjoyable read why gripe about how it's just a como of this-this-and-this manga or a derivitive of such-and-such manga?
Yanagi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
With Viz picking up all these Jump titles...I hope that they eventually pick up the Kimagure Orange Road manga! ^^
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And isn't Bleach a retread of YuYu Hakusho in many ways? The issue is in the telling.

I couldn't agree more. The reason Bleach is good (in addition to the stylish art) is the fact that the manga-ka takes a diffrent and innovative approch to storytelling. Unfortunatally, most shonen manga lack this, and more often than not the writer will try to fall back on gimmicks and cliches. Again, not that these titles are nessisarily bad, but they certianly aren't the best shonen has to offer.
Quote:
plus, you gotta face it... so much manga has been made it's almost impossible to make anything entirely new without shades of any other manga in it.

Have to disagree with you there. There are tons of new and innovative stuff out there. No.5, Journey to the End of the World and Ryuguden are just a few mangas that are almost entirely original concepts (though I guess you could argue that Ryuguden is like a Miazaki movie if Miazaki took acid...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2