• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Time Ranks Top 5 Anime Movies on DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy above Princess Mononoke? Absurd!
fxg97873

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy sucks.
The only top 5 it's in is the "Top Worst"

mk2000
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Did Time actually see Steamboy? It's not that good, not nearly as good as AKIRA. It was seriously overhyped. I can see why Princess Mononoke didn't make the list. (it's my favorite movie of all time and even I wouldn't consider it one of the greatest films on DVD simply because the DVD is a rip off) But Grave of the Fireflies should have gotten on this list. Barefoot get isn't really that good of a movie either. Its very impactful and disturbing as all hell but that doesn't necessarily make it a good movie. Grave of the Fireflies would hae been a much better choice.

Here's a question for you all. What do you think the top 5 should have been?

I would have put:

1.) Spirited Away (simply because its the highest grossing Japanese movie in history)

2.) Grave of the Fireflies (the most emotionally driven anime film I've ever seen)

3.) AKIRA (because of how many people became anime fans by watching this movie and the fact that to this day no other movie has used 2D animation as this film did)

4.) Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (It makes me sad that eveytime someone makes a list of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time, this almost always gets left out.)

5.) Ghost in the Shell (the movie that made Mamoru Oshii famous and the first anime movie released simultaneously in Japan and the U.S.)

edit: I take back the comment about Princess Mononoke being a rip off DVD because I just realized I put End of Eva on here even though it's the worst anime DVD Manga Entertaiment has ever produced.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm not fond of either film, at least Time's inclusion of Barefoot Gen instead of Grave of the Fireflies shows that they aren't being completely predictable and safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I could see cases being legitimately argued for the other four, but Steamboy among the top 5????? Shocked It isn't a bad movie, but I could name at least a half-dozen movies off the top of my head that are more worthy of inclusion.

I agree the Barefoot Gen was a daring choice, especially over Grave of the Fireflies (which is available in the U.S., while Barefoot Gen has never been released over here), but I also agree that its inclusion shows that this wasn't a casually thrown-together list - which makes Steamboy's inclusion all the stranger.

As for Princess Mononoke not being present, my guess is that the writer decided to use only one Miyazaki film, so he had to make a difficult choice between it and Spirited Away. If that's the case, I can't begrudge him that omission, since I think it's a toss-up as to which is better. The same could also explain why Ghost in the Shell didn't make the cut.

I did think the observation that Akira is set in the same year as Bladerunner was very interesting, though. A rather big coincidence, isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Firefly is not on the list, what is this abstrucity? Those people actually get paid for doing these things?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Romuska: Steamboy had hype?

Key: Actually, the first film was released by Streamline before they went under. The only thing which bothers me about them recommending Gen is it's OOP.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, they didn't say they were THE five best, just five top anime.

Still, I don't think Steamboy, as much as I really liked it and did think it was excellent, really ranks up there.

-Xenos
Demaar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any anime movies. Whenever I read reviews the person usually just comes across as a gushing "fan-person" and makes me just want to steer clear...
That isn't to say I doubt they're good, but I don't want to see them uninformed, but whenever I go looking for opinions I'm turned off fast...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Did Time put Steamboy because of the animation technic that took 3 years to make (plus the 7 years to actually make the film) and made it difficult to see what is 2D and what is 3D??? Maybe. Did they put it because of the story??? I hope not.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, people don't like the same movies that Richard Corliss likes. I guess that makes him different. Damn you Richard, don't be different. Confused

But yeah, Steamboy wasn't all that great, but if you don't watch anime all the time, it might pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for Princess Mononoke not being present, my guess is that the writer decided to use only one Miyazaki film, so he had to make a difficult choice between it and Spirited Away. If that's the case, I can't begrudge him that omission, since I think it's a toss-up as to which is better. The same could also explain why Ghost in the Shell didn't make the cut.

They picked up both Akira and Steamboy -- both by Katsuhiro Otomo. Rolling Eyes If they wanted to keep the list diversified, then IMHO four out of five slots were already occupied: Miyazaki, Kon (I'd say Millennium Actress is better), Oshii (GitS or Jin-Roh; the latter was not directed but created by him), and Otomo (definately not Steamboy). There would be only one slot remaining. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
oe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
I think that list needs a little Lupin III. Castle of Cagliostro is one of my favorites and it has the favorable name association with Miyazaki. Not that I really think it's better than some of his other ones. Still... you've got to give the Lupin franchise some credit for enduring and being extra cool.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
They picked up both Akira and Steamboy -- both by Katsuhiro Otomo. Rolling Eyes If they wanted to keep the list diversified, then IMHO four out of five slots were already occupied: Miyazaki, Kon (I'd say Millennium Actress is better), Oshii (GitS or Jin-Roh; the latter was not directed but created by him), and Otomo (definately not Steamboy). There would be only one slot remaining. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Hm... I wonder what film would have taken the last slot had I been at the wheel... I wonder.... Wink
I generally agree with you, dormcat. A work of Otomo's is a must. But Steamboy is definitely not it. I would have gone with something more acclaimed like Robot Carnival or Memories. My Oshii pick would probably be a toss-up between my personal favorite Tenshi no Tamago and Jin Roh, as the latter is less obtuse. Millenium Actress is by far Kon's best work, and as any list of must-see anime films would feel very incomplete without Miyazaki, I'd vote for Totoro. But that's neither here nor there.
As strange as Steamboy's appearance on the list is, I'm pleasantly surprised. It could have been much, much worse.

Last edited by Cloe on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
The pointlessness of these lists are that you will get no one to agree on "the top 5" of any genre with few exceptions.

So, those are the films the writer liked. Good for them. I have my own top 5 and so does every other fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2