• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ITunes USA Offers Japanese Inventory

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cche7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Not much of a selection at this point. Confused
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I'll look forward to that. If they have a good selection of things this would be good to get some songs. Like you might want something from a single and not want the whole soundtrack.

Well, we'll see.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel awful for pointing this out, but the grammar in this article hurts my head. Anime cry

"iTunes users could change the default store the Japanese store. Where you can play many 30 second samples of Japanese Pop, Rock and even Anime albums." ... x_X
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kajico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
sorry for the grammar, but i did write this at 1:00 am so give me a break. Plus i don't spake all good. Very Happy

I don't know why they cut the article short, I specifically mentioned that you could not buy from the Japanese Music store, you could only sample music. The American store was expanded and you could soon buy anime albums from it.
ChoboMog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
As long as the music files are still corrupted with DRM (Digital Rights Management) which limits it's use, iTunes will continue to get the same amount of money from me. None. I will keep buying CDs, since the restrictions can be circumvented quite easily without breaking the iTunes terms of service, and legally since it is for personal/fair use.

On a more positive note, I am happy that this might introduce some Japanese music to people who might not otherwise know it, and it will be a good source of music for the people who don't mind the restrictions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
halo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that songs go for about $1.75US a pop. The RIAJ (Recording Industry of Japan) and JASRAC (Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers) seem to be intent on making sure that Japanese consumers still pay an inflated rate for music. Thats $25-$30 an album for DRM'ed music, which is even more than a CD.

Part of this is due to the fact that the JASRAC get's almost 8% of the proceeds (which I believe is more than most artists royalties!) Yet it's the bootleggers and file sharers robbing the poor performers of thier money. I'm already paying a high enough price on CDJapan, and I get a pressed CD, case, pretty booklets, etc. The Apple can rot on the tree for all I care.

Digital Rights Managment... an oxymoron if I ever did see one.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Annoying bootleggers! Somehow, I get the impression the government(s) doesn't care enough about this problem. I've seen a lot of bootlegs in my life, ranging from DVDs to trading cards, so excuse me if I'm being fanatical. It's a nasty situation, because some people might not want to pay so much for msuic, and turn to bootlegs. And because of the bootlegging, the prices can't be lowered significantly.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
To correct myself, according to this CNN article, 90% of the songs will be 150 yen, or about $1.35. This is still too steep a price, but cheaper than the compition it seems.

Though with the Avex Group jumping on board, there should be a lot of anime music available soon.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm with ChoboMog on this one. While it's sweet that they are recognising the market for anime music etc, you can only use itunes on an ipod and I'm not about to purchase one so they can bleed money from me.

I'll continue to buy import cds so I get what I want without any bs. I also like a lot of game music but I see no sign of them really plugging that and if they do I still prefer a cd so I have control and a lot of glossy packaging.

DRM is a stupid idea if you ask me, the likes of which will stop people spending money on cds, if they have no guarantee it will work on one cd player to the next.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MTierce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you can only use itunes on an ipod

Umm, this is completely untrue. iTunes is just an audio jukebox with the store integrated into it. The files you download are either in MP3 format or in AAC, which can easily be converted to MP3. In either case they are stored on your computer's hard drive in a folder you specify, like any other downloaded file.
tmimp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MTierce wrote:
Quote:

Umm, this is completely untrue. iTunes is just an audio jukebox with the store integrated into it. The files you download are either in MP3 format or in AAC, which can easily be converted to MP3. In either case they are stored on your computer's hard drive in a folder you specify, like any other downloaded file.

Hi, I registered here just to correct you.

First, music sold on the iTunes store is ONLY in protected AAC format. You can't choose to download MP3 files, nor can you convert the file to MP3 without either burning an audio CD and re-ripping the track or breaking the file's DRM (which is illegal).

Second, the protected AAC files will not work on any other portable music device besides the iPod.
ChoboMog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
tmimp wrote:
MTierce wrote:
Quote:

Hi, I registered here just to correct you.

First, music sold on the iTunes store is ONLY in protected AAC format. You can't choose to download MP3 files, nor can you convert the file to MP3 without either burning an audio CD and re-ripping the track or breaking the file's DRM (which is illegal).

Second, the protected AAC files will not work on any other portable music device besides the iPod.

Very Happy You beat me to correcting him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Abel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
tmimp wrote:
You can't choose to download MP3 files, nor can you convert the file to MP3 without either burning an audio CD and re-ripping the track or breaking the file's DRM (which is illegal).

DMR proctected songs can be easily burned on to a disc, ripped from that disc as an mp3 and then it can be transfered to a portable player, or mp3 cd.

Those that argue about any quality loss should focus on only buying their songs on CD and should not have any business using lossy files.
Invidia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I buy iTMS songs whenever I don't want the whole album, I want the song quickly, I want to spend less, and I don't mind not getting the actual CD. For artists I really like, I tend to buy the actual CD so I get higher audio quality, even though it'll get all scratched up eventually anyway and I can't really hear the difference from an audio CD track and an 128kbps AAC song.

I went to browse (cmd-B) the US iTMS and while there were J-Pop and Anime genres, the genres listed no songs because whenever I click on an artist, I got a blank listing.

So the tracks are 150 yen and 200 yen at iTunes Japan. I wonder if there was a record label that wanted the 200 yen and another that wanted 150 yen? Also, no Sony listed.
VoidJim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
tmimp wrote:

Actually, many of the podcasts are MP3 downloads, so he is partially right.

But I have to agree with him that it's not that difficult to get songs downloaded from the iTunes store into MP3 format so you can put them on any MP3 player. So the old "I can't play iTunes store songs on my MP3 player" is an old and incorrect mantra.

FYI, you can't purchase iTunes Japan songs unless you have a credit card with a Japanese address.

So, although you can browse and sample, you'd have to get Apple to believe you are in Japan to buy and download a file.

Sadly, thre's not too many anime songs on it, so it's not even worth my attempting to sneak around the country restrictions at the moment.

(p.s. don't blame APple for this, it's the music company and distributors that don't want worldwide sales)

As for the Anime and J-pop categories on the US store... it may be a bug, since there are no songs listed under them when you selected th artist names.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2