• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Five Questions Later

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought Witch Hunter Robin was a terrible series.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your insight.
Phoeptar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I liked Witch Hunter Robin ALOT it felt very much like X-Files which I'm a fan of too, and even though it's a shame to not see more of this series or other great series that you just wish you could see the main characters do their thing one last time I don't think Witch Hunter Robin should have anymore episodes, it told a great story, ended well, and maybe a movie or 3 ep OVA but other then that It's fine the way it is,

though I'd definitly watch a new season of WHR anime if it weer made though I've got to voice my concerns over sci-fi making it a live action show, I think it might turn out as bad as witchblade (the comic turned live action show) and if it did end up top notch writting people might see it as a mix between buffy and x-files and it wouldnt last long.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
*ignores first comment* Hmm...yeah I'll have to think up of a title sometime. But I am so out of sync with movies it's hopeless. Anyway, good column. I had also been wondering about Big Apple anime con for a while, since its semi-close to me, so that question's settled.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
From the two or three episodes that I saw on Cartoon Network, I thought it was good. Lets hope that the Sci-Fi channel either does a faithful reproduction into live action or not at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay so, I have an entry for the "Next week's Answerman Title" contest. "Legend of the Answerfiend: New Saga".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I was going to suggest: "Doin it for the Kitties"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Witch Hunter Robin is like a really bad Hellsing (which is itself supposedly really bad compared to the manga). Boring and with frustratingly dull and stupid characters. That is, except pachinko-loving Nagira. That guy had potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
WHR is an acquired taste, personaly i liked it, not the best i've ever seen but enjoyable enough to watch again some time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, some of the earlier episodes were not really needed, but even with them in the mix, it was an enjoyable series, provided that you didn't mind slow pacing.

The Answerman Hall of Fame, eh? Yet another award I'd never get...
oe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
I have an entry. It's hot in NYC, and I bet it's way hotter in many places, deceptively hot.... "The Tanuki Days of Summer."
Asuka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the question about the con in NY, the writer may want to look into AnimeNext 2006, which is in the far northern tip of NJ, 5~ minutes by train from Manhattan, from what I've heard.

http://www.animenext.org/ is their site.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Shibahime wrote:
In regards to the question about the con in NY, the writer may want to look into AnimeNext 2006, which is in the far northern tip of NJ, 5~ minutes by train from Manhattan, from what I've heard.

http://www.animenext.org/ is their site.

I've taken the train from Manhattan to NJ's first stop and there is NO WAY it takes 5 minutes, especially if you live anything more than a half a block away from Penn Station. Also...

1) It's not in NY. I know you mention this in your post, but the emailer asked about the convention in NY.

2) It's a year away and the guy/girl wanted to know asap, so I assumed s/he wasn't interested in making plans for next year right now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
I thought Witch Hunter Robin was a terrible series.

It doesn't contribute much if you don't say why you hate the series.

Like this:

penguintruth wrote:
Witch Hunter Robin is like a really bad Hellsing. Boring and with frustratingly dull and stupid characters.

Maybe you're both just too young for it? I get the feeling that WHR skews a bit towards an older 20+ age group. It might be a bit too slow for teens.

Anyways it's average rating in the Encyclopedia, based on 708 votes, is "Very Good."

We don't currently have a feature to keep track of how various demos vote. That would be interesting.

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Maybe you're both just too young for it? I get the feeling that WHR skews a bit towards an older 20+ age group. It might be a bit too slow for teens.

Ouch. I'm 22. I'm not an imbecile, either. I kept up with the story without any difficulties.

It was just plain boring. Like I said, a boring Hellsing. At least Hellsing had some likeable characters, like Alucard, Seras, and Alexander Anderson. All Witch Hunter Robin had were dull and useless characters, with the aformentioned exception of Nagira. He had the most genuine personality in the entire cast.

The plot had potential, but the way everything paces makes it seem like the series is devoid of any energy at all. It's one thing to be cerebral and focus on character interaction, but this show had no chemistry, so that was a pointless excercise. The last few episodes are decent, but the conclusion is one-dimensional, and in the end, I could really care less what happens to either Robin or Amon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2