• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon May Be Pre-Reg Only

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:53 am Reply with quote
i'm not going, but thats gona suck for those who don't prereg Neutral

Pwolf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
dokool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
Pwolf wrote:
i'm not going, but thats gona suck for those who don't prereg Neutral

Pwolf

They announced after last year's con that there would be a prereg limit. Everyone knows Otakon is getting bigger and bigger (one reason why 2003 was the only time I'll ever go).

If people had saved a quarter a day since the end of the con they'd have enough money to register (plus enough spare change for a DVD or so), so at this point I think that if you've been too lazy to pre-reg by now you probably don't deserve to go anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
necrosis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
Thank god I saw this. I was gonna at-the-door reg cause those lines were always **MUCH** shorter in past years.

I just know there are going to be some pissed off people waiting outside the con come next thursday/friday.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
Not if they follow the website.

There is probably an oversite by Otakon as well, not thinking that pre-regs would be going faster than free plushies. Setting aside a certain number of regs for the door (say, 2000-3000) probably would've been a good idea.

Meh. Every year's a learning experience in the world of cons. Now it's time for the scalpers to work their magic.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Otakon still has room to grow, if that convention center hotel can actually happen.
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
They capped the number of people allowed to go for a very specific reason (danger of turning people away at the door and breaking the limit to how many people are allowed in the convention hall) and they are very close to hitting that mark , its no wonder rumor has it that Otakon is leaving Baltimore for bigger venues, its become huge with Anime becoming mainstream. Likewise the cap is 4000 people above last years total attendies making it sound like this will be the biggest Otakon ever.

As for scalpers, I highly doubt it with the ammount of outside security they had last year, scalpers wouldnt be able to get near the venue, nor are anime fans really the type TO scalp. No given the fact that ever hotel in the Baltimore area has been booked solid for months, its very likely people are going to be there every day.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
necrosis wrote:
Thank god I saw this. I was gonna at-the-door reg cause those lines were always **MUCH** shorter in past years.

I just know there are going to be some pissed off people waiting outside the con come next thursday/friday.

That cant be right. Last year was my first time, and they had at the door reg lines that would have wrapped around the moon. I pre-regged and was good to go in about 15 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That can't be right. Last year was my first time, and they had at the door reg lines that would have wrapped around the moon. I pre-regged and was good to go in about 15 minutes.

Yeah, pre-reg people only wait in line if they try to sign in on thursday or if they show up first thing in the morning on friday. If they show up any time after 10-ish there shouldn't be much of a line (of course since most people pre-regged this year there might be).

Well, it really doesn't benefit them to set aside spaces for at the door registration, since with pre-reg they KNOW they're getting paid, whereas with at the door they might get paid. Also, by setting aside a certain amount, they encourage people to show up at the door, even though that amount might sell out before they get in.

Also, I heard that they planned on moving venues or something (like DC), which would mean more room.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
There's already a DC con with space trouble. 1 is enough. Laughing
tstidm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
If Otakon was to move, it would be to the DC Convention Center. That is what staff have said on their boards. At 2,553 registrations left, I think we hit under 2,000 sometime on Friday. It makes the Treasury staff very happy that it would fill up. This is the first time a convention of this size (not Anime Boston) that it looks like it will sell out before con.
eelozano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
I was planning on travelin in the area and stopping by....I'll just travel somewhere else it seems.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
tstidm wrote:
If Otakon was to move, it would be to the DC Convention Center. That is what staff have said on their boards. At 2,553 registrations left, I think we hit under 2,000 sometime on Friday. It makes the Treasury staff very happy that it would fill up. This is the first time a convention of this size (not Anime Boston) that it looks like it will sell out before con.

I dunno about the DC Convention Center. There really are not that many hotels nearby, certainly nothing to accomodate those kinds of numbers. And Otakon is *not* a commuter convention...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the big oversight by Otakon was that the majority of the pre-registrations they cancelled were the panelist pre-regs. Those people were instructed to sign up and check "pay by check" but not pay. Apparently the pre-registrations people and the planning people do not communicate too well.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
I think the big oversight by Otakon was that the majority of the pre-registrations they cancelled were the panelist pre-regs. Those people were instructed to sign up and check "pay by check" but not pay. Apparently the pre-registrations people and the planning people do not communicate too well.

No, it was people that filled out the registration form but never sent their check.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
No, I am a panelist at Otakon, and those were the directions we were given to preregister--fill out the reg form but don't pay. And all our registrations were cancelled when Otakon released the spots that hadn't been paid for, which unfortunately included comped panelists.

Edit: I'm sure Otakon will fix it, it's just weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2