• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - iTunes Japan hits 1,000,000

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necrosis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
iTMS in Japan is nice and all but unless you have a JP address/CC to make an account to you cant purchace form the JP site.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
...or know someone who lives there and will send you gift cards, as I wrote in the article.
Abel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
You still need to have an account with an address in Japan to redeem the gift cards. I had thought of this as well. Given that next month I should be in japan, I may stop by the Shibuya store and obtain one and try it out.

Last edited by Abel on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
...or you could use the friend's address.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
The day Sony makes a deal with Apple is the day they give up on MiniDisc. It was a big enough deal that they started making MP3 devices...
Akukaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
You know, I -just- read that in the Business section of my newspaper. Front page, no less. Smile

I personally don't care much about Sony, there're two artists I actually like that're on Sony (bird and BEAN BAG), and I'm not even that much of a fan of either. Avex is a big winner for me, though. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:12 am Reply with quote
I actually like Sony for treating Asian films better than most companies. But they're not having a good year, what with having to pay consumers for the fake "positive" reviews they wrote for certain 2001 movies, and the recent suggestion that they might delay the PS3 until 2007, which could give MS an edge in the gaming and HD DVD market. (And considering how crappy the PS2 runs, I doubt I'd want to trust future dvd technology endorsed by Sony.) Not to mention they've been rubbing music fans the wrong way since they introduced those copy-protected cds. Anyway, I love the irony of them talking about protecting the artists when they just shafted
a few involved in one of the company's recent films.
tekwych

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
If you look at iTunes America you will find a new J-pop and Anime soundtrack section, a section that more than quadrupled in size within 48 hrs of iTunes Japan launch. a section that, I have been told buy people in Cupertino, will continue to grow in size for the rest of this year at least. There will be new additions of Japanese music in the North American iTunes monthly.
NeeKz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
now I want I Ipod....
I thought those words will never come out of my mouth Laughing
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:09 am Reply with quote
NeeKz wrote:
now I want I Ipod....
I thought those words will never come out of my mouth Laughing

I'll keep my $60 MP3/CD player thank you. Razz But the music I do get from iTunes, I'll play though iTunes. Anyhoot, I try out the Japanese iTunes sooner or later. Too bad I can't take the song I pay for and put it on my Live365 station.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
tekwych wrote:
If you look at iTunes America you will find a new J-pop and Anime soundtrack section, a section that more than quadrupled in size within 48 hrs of iTunes Japan launch. a section that, I have been told buy people in Cupertino, will continue to grow in size for the rest of this year at least. There will be new additions of Japanese music in the North American iTunes monthly.

Can you give a couple of examples? As far as I can see, there are no songs in the J-Pop section, and there is no anime soundtrack one.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
When I saw the headline on the homepage "why should you care" I clicked on the link to read the article but after reading it and assuming that iTunes Japan would be available for US Credit Card holders I was disappointed at the staff of ANN for putting that blurb in there where the article had nothing to do with American fans being able to eventually purchase J-Pop through the software.

While I have purchased songs from iTunes before I plan to boycott iTunes for one simple reason: iTunes allows American music buffs to view these alternate stores but don't give them the right to purchase and download? Talk about your unethical actions by an online music retailer.

It's like dangling candy in front of a baby and then putting it away why they cry.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well I'm sorry your demand can't be satisfied this moment, but the success of iTunes Japan is very relevant to American J-Pop fans because, as I wrote, it sets a new, lower base price for Japanese songs.

The huge price difference between music in Japan and America has been a roadblock that has kept the vast majority of J-Pop from being sold here. By forcing lower prices in Japan, Apple is removing that roadblock.

Incidentally, purchasing and downloading music is not a "right."
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I never said it was a right but this is the fault of iTunes. For the simple fact that if these songs can't be downloaded by someone in the United States then why in the world would iTunes allow an American to view the store if all they could do is window shop and not buy anything.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is ever available to North America, I still would have to get an iPod I guess. I think I'd rather keep my $59 MP3 player and get some glossy packaging. But if I ever get one of those file converter things...oh I don't know how technology works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2