• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! License Is Still in Force, Court Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Based on some of the comments from ANN staff and others on how rare it is for Japanese companies to sue US companies, and how when they do it generally means that the US company has really messed up, I was expecting 4Kids to lose. Huh.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Apollo: And the Japanese company wasn't at fault for selling Macross for a song in the 80s? Rolling Eyes

luise: Has nothing to do with the country of origin. The Japanese companies didn't have their legal game faces on, and lost, plain and simple. And let's be honest here. This is the kind of bullshit we've seen against American companies which weren't 4Kids. If CPM weren't wiped out by the Suncoast bubble, for example, I'm sure any court would have said the same to Libre.

yami:
Quote:
Well the U.S. has no scene of tradition or the ability to honor people's wishes unless they were written down.

WTF are you talking about? We do use verbal contracts in court. I am not a lawyer.

Quote:
Then again the only copyright battle i know of is the one over Yamato.

Well, there's Candy Candy, too.

To be honest, I don't like 4Kids, either. But you've got to admire a company that's been battered the way it has surviving the last round. Though unlike HG, I imagine 4Kids will probably end up selling YuGiOh off, anyway. 'Cus if they're in as dire straits as they claim, then it makes no sense to keep a property which no longer makes money for them the way it might have in the past. But then when's the last time 4Kids' decisions have ever made sense?
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
So if 4kids keeps Zexal on long enough that means the other half of their budget will be blown editing Cathy and Anna.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Interesting. Based on some of the comments from ANN staff and others on how rare it is for Japanese companies to sue US companies, and how when they do it generally means that the US company has really messed up, I was expecting 4Kids to lose. Huh.

Well, if the Japanese violated their own agreement over how they can terminate their license, and if as it seems, several of their claims had to be withdrawn or invalidated, that puts the whole thing in a whole new light. Looking like the Japanese side wanted to strong arm 4Kids out of the license. Especially since they didn't want to do this via the official termination rules, that they agreed to.

The judicial ruling makes sense to me, the Japanese side failed to honor their own termination agreement, and several of their claims failed. That is enough to make everything suspect.

I don't watch 4Kids stuff, so I have no stake in this. Fully understand the desire here for 4Kids demise.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
So if 4kids keeps Zexal on long enough that means the other half of their budget will be blown editing Cathy and Anna.

If I were a paranoid conspirator, I'd swear they're purposely injecting more and more fanservice into ZeXal to spite 4Kids and make them work overtime and blow more money on edits. All 3 main girls fit the billing so far.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
KHAAAAAAN!

(Yeah, I know. Hush.)
Khan left the ship some time ago with a suitcase full of golden ballast to keep his ballon from floating too high into the Stratosphere, leaving the rest of the crew to pump out the shyte he left behind. This is merely a court order to stop pulling the plug on the life support machine keeping the company alive. It's only a temporary setback by the appeal.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
KHAAAAAAN!

(Yeah, I know. Hush.)
Khan left the ship some time ago with a suitcase full of golden ballast to keep his ballon from floating too high into the Stratosphere, leaving the rest of the crew to pump out the shyte he left behind. This is merely a court order to stop pulling the plug on the life support machine keeping the company alive. It's only a temporary setback by the appeal.

Hence the (Yeah, I know. Hush.) part.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
(insert very loud ear popping face palm) I seriously swear 4Kids is the flu to the anime dubbing industry, you try to kill it once it comes back again next year. yeah it's true that they didn't follow through with their legal agreement for contract termination but hell when was the last time any company in the US ended things legitimately, quickly, and easily without some media shit storm? maybe if we're lucky this year will be the last for 4Kids due to being under budget for over editing their dub of Zexal
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
You call this a utopia?!

Freaking courts with their failing at justice.
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Other's might yell Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! But in this case it's appropriate to yell Raphael's infamous DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! from TMNT.....I mean really...WHY CAN"T 4 KIDS DIE!!!!!!!
A-Log

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
As long as we get to hear people like Veronica Taylor and Lisa Ortiz in an anime, I'm satisfied. Other than that, the black-eye that 4Kids gave the city back in '05 has gotten big at this point, isn't it?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't matter. 4Kids already burn the bridge on Japanese anime. They can't keep Yu-Gi-Oh forever. They will have to just make American carton.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Somehow I had a feeling this might happen, especially since there was a end in sight. There has to be some irony in this somewhere. Just before the finishing blow was about to used, somehow this situation became extended. Sounds just like a good old fashion Shonen Jump plot to me and I am no in no way bashing that. I love Shonen Jump and likely will for as long as I am watching anime and reading manga.

However, in real life, dragging on a case that should have been ended by now isn't something I really like to see. I seriously wonder if I went ahead 20 years in the future if 4kids is still going to be around? I mean if Tokyo Pop (one of the most successful business back in the early days of manga) collapsed (with the help of the forever hilarious Stu Levy and Borders going out of business) how much longer can 4kids hold on?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
(with the help of the forever hilarious Stu Levy and Borders going out of business)

Borders didn't kill TOKYOPOP, Stu Levy killed TP long before Borders went belly up. The bankruptcy only gave Stu a viable scapegoat to pull the plug on the life support.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
You call this a utopia?!

Freaking courts with their failing at justice.

Well, justice is supposed to be blind. Shouldn't matter how we feel about the participants; just stick with the law.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7