• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anyone disturbed with the trend of overly sized boobs?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Sosukurai wrote:
I don't think it's all that bad. Big boobs are good for me. But when they're absolutely humungous it's not so disturbing as it is stupid. Anime is cartoon and cartoons exagerate the human figure. But I agree that some common sense and some limits would be good. I've watched a variety of anime of all different types and I'd say boob size is pretty varied anyways. Just be thankfull that they don't exagerate the male characters pants bulge. Anime smile

Nah... If you want exaggerated male pants bulges check out Marvel Comics.

But I agree with you that it is normal for cartoon characters to be exaggerated a little. But sometimes it works better than in other times. I wouldn't have liked huge boobs in Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, or Cowboy Bebop because those series try to look a little more realistic than something like Love Hina.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:43 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I wouldn't have liked huge boobs in Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, or Cowboy Bebop because those series try to look a little more realistic than something like Love Hina.

Tell me your kidding about Faye Valentine?? Kusanagi I can understand, but Faye with "average" boobs??
Sosukurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't have liked huge boobs in Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, or Cowboy Bebop because those series try to look a little more realistic than something like Love Hina.

Yah i totatly agree. Although Faye's boobs are a little large the proportions of the other female characters in the series' you mentioned are definately acceptable. Now if you wanna talk about exaggerated boobs, watch Tenjo Tenge especially eps.1 Shocked . Funny stuff Very Happy
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
I can tolerate big boobs as long as they're not the focus of the show and don't look outright ridiculous (Divergence Eve). Plus, they make people think that's what anime is about. I can't even watch Lupin in public without some prep coming by and making a deragatory comment about Fujiko when she comes in. Evil or Very Mad
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
I find that the bigger the character's boobs are, the funnier the show will be. But when's the last time you saw a 13-year-old with bazookas coming out of her chest? More importantly, when's the last time you saw a 13-year-old Asian girl with bazookas coming out of her chest?
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also wondering what female anime fans think about this. I'm just wondering if any of them are offended that boobs are all what guys think about.

I am not exactly offended by it, but it really makes me laugh. I find that if there are more females involved in the anime, the boobs tend to be smaller.
As said before, it only bothers me when the boobs are bigger than the head or if they are on a girl who is supposed to be really young...
I think that the worst case of big boobs that I have ever seen was in Hellsing. In both the manga and the anime, Victoria's boobs are CONSTANTLY getting bigger... Same with Integra's... Very disturbing...
Darkon187

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
More to a point then in my last post...big boobs in anime do one thing in my opinion. Differring one female from another. This makes sense yes, but at the same time I point out that overaccentuating that part of a female was a part of character development? Pointing out a oversexual behavior or something out of a comedical standpoint. Overall, I find this kind of thing to be one of the 'tells' of the culture from where it came from. I wouldnt hold it against anyone else if to see 'overly sized boobs' felt slightly disturbed by this. But as I see it, it really comes down to what the artist of the anime/manga wished to see in his/her characters.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I don't care how big they are, just as long as they are not bigger than the girls head.

ahhahaa

Quote:
when's the last time you saw a 13-year-old Asian girl with bazookas coming out of her chest?

hahahhaah....

Yeah... one thing comes to mind... Grenadier...

But for me, i don't really mind it... its more for comedy i guess... and remember, anime is a CARTOON, its not actual life =D...
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Disturbing? No

Disgusting? Definitely
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
Quote:
I'm also wondering what female anime fans think about this. I'm just wondering if any of them are offended that boobs are all what guys think about.

I am not exactly offended by it, but it really makes me laugh. I find that if there are more females involved in the anime, the boobs tend to be smaller.
As said before, it only bothers me when the boobs are bigger than the head or if they are on a girl who is supposed to be really young...
I think that the worst case of big boobs that I have ever seen was in Hellsing. In both the manga and the anime, Victoria's boobs are CONSTANTLY getting bigger... Same with Integra's... Very disturbing...

Thats not as disturbing as that episode of mahoramatic where they use that breast enlargement machine. I found it to be funny that the guy ended up with boobs but that was also pretty disgusting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I don't care how big they are, just as long as they are not bigger than the girls head.

hahaha, I agree with that statment

Quote:
I find that the bigger the character's boobs are, the funnier the show will be.

Yup, normally comic animes have the female characters with large breasts

I'm a hetrosexual female and it doesn't bother me really, there are animes where females have average sizes and there are animes where females don't. You see real women with large breasts on tv, it doesn't offend me really because everyone woman has a different size of breasts. Just because a woman has large boobs doesn't make her a slut, unless they are fake.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
I'm also wondering what female anime fans think about this.

We're waiting for men to grow up and move past this phase. We figure it might happen someday, hundred of years from now....Laughing

It's not really the size that bothers me, but ....when they jiggle. *shudders* It just looks gross!! The male animators in Japan seem to have forgotten about the modern invention of the bra. Nevertheless, every time I see bad harem anime, I just laugh when I realize that they'd be sagging down to their hips by the age of 40...

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about that kind of thing I'm more interested in the story and the characters themselves not how they're drawn. It only really gets annoying for me when it's overused for comedy purposes.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

We're waiting for men to grow up and move past this phase. We figure it might happen someday, hundred of years from now....Laughing

It's not really the size that bothers me, but ....when they jiggle. *shudders* It just looks gross!! The male animators in Japan seem to have forgotten about the modern invention of the bra. Nevertheless, every time I see bad harem anime, I just laugh when I realize that they'd be sagging down to their hips by the age of 40...

Ahh hahahahahaha Laughing

so true!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. Women have been portrayed in a sexual way since the beginning of history, depending on the trends in culture and perception of the "perfect" body (Venus of Willendorf, anyone? There's always the chance it was crafted by a woman, but somehow I doubt it...) The iconic image of the female body is just a part of the history of art, and I certainly don't blame modern animators for continuing that trend. It's more the objectification of women in anime that bothers me, and that's mostly in the hentai genre, which I tend to avoid. Most of my favorite series don't have the breast issue at all (Utena, Macross, etc), so I rarely think about it.

Last edited by Cloe on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22