• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Legend of the Answerfiend ~ New Saga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to add a manga that is a must read for anyone just starting to get into this type of media. "Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind".
This title is the Rolls-Royce of manga and I can not recommend it highly enough. It took 13 years to write and it shows. It's Brilliant. Wink
nocturnal neko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to mention that checking at the local library for manga is a great way to try out different series that doesn't cost any money.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
nocturnal neko wrote:
I just wanted to mention that checking at the local library for manga is a great way to try out different series that doesn't cost any money.

Not just manga, many libraries have anime and related magazines.

Often they are shelved in three places, kids, teens and adult.

If your library does not have what you are looking for talk to them about getting it. Be aware that they may have a tight budget.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Scar, as difficult as he is when you first meet him, can be taken down to about 50% health simply by standing behind a box, getting him trapped on the other side, and letting Al hit him with a ranged weapon.

I didn't try that strategy. I don't know if it's possible to actually beat Scar in this battle, but you can deal some serious damage by transmuting Arakawa-sensei into the battle. Including her, my strategy was running around and hoping Al was helping Arakawa-sensei instead of running around with me.

I lost my auto revive in that battle, so I'd love to beat Scar in that battle as collateral, but I don't think it's actually possible.

It's a fun game. Better combat than the first, but the camera sucks a lot. I liked the animated sequences in this one a lot though. They made up for it.
Draguna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
It's possible to beat Scar, though a bit difficult. It doesn't really matter if you beat him or not story-wise, but you get a rare/cool item for winning the fight, even with a bad grade. First thing I did was disable Al by slapping an accessory on him (the white loincloth, I believe).

After that I transmuted the super-cow mock up of the manga author. While that was beating on Scar, I got the accessory from the chest and equiped it (sticky gloves or something, I think...prevents you from dropping weapons).

Hidden by one of the boxes in the area is one of those blade boomerangs that doesn't expire on you like most weapons. Trick Scar into blowing up the box then transmute it. Since you're wearing the accessory you picked up, you can use it pretty much the whole match.

The rest is simple, but a bit time consuming. Keep your distance by running, throw the weapon at him, and use some well-placed counters. Might take a try or two and several minutes per try but he'll go down eventually.

I can say, though, that FMA 2 had a great deal of improvement over the first game. The transmuting-weapons-anytime was a huge step in gameplay.

On the subject of manga, it never hurts to ask one of the clerks at the bookstore if they know anything about it. I know of several people in my local bookstores that are totally obsessed with manga as I am and they've been a great help in suggesting series to my tastes.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quote
Interesting to read the review of FMA 2, especially since Xplay gave it a 2 out of 5 and has been harassed by anime fans ever since. I'm not sure why these fans think that just because a game is based on an anime, it should be good. Heck, I'll play even a bad anime game if I like the show and I have thought of picking up the FMA games
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
Interesting to read the review of FMA 2, especially since Xplay gave it a 2 out of 5 and has been harassed by anime fans ever since. I'm not sure why these fans think that just because a game is based on an anime, it should be good. Heck, I'll play even a bad anime game if I like the show and I have thought of picking up the FMA games

I've found while both of the games were critical failures, more people I talk to (both fans of the series and not) have enjoyed the games more often than they haven't. These two games are just proof that you shouldn't base your playing decisions on reviews.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call that proof, since polls of friends aren't exactly scientific or reliable Laughing
lantis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
There is another new way to be exposed to manga that wasn't mentioned here.

Anime NEXT first started a manga library at anime conventions the first year of their existence since then they have helped run it at other conventions and other conventions have started their own.

Most of the larger conventions now have their own manga library and it is a great place to get away from the loud hubbub of the convention and sit down and sample a new manga.

doug
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1