• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Update: Ghost Stories clips online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that impressed with the clip. Confused
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think it is alright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
That wasn't too bad, it was pretty funny. Clip was short, but oh well.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It was ok. Some of the lines felt squished into the mouth flaps.

I assume it gets funnier? I'm not that impressed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I don't think lip synching is going to be irrelevant here, although it would help.

You'd almost have to assume the thing gets funnier. ADV wouldn't put out the A material and get a letdown from fans who buy the show. It's probably their B or C material.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
It was ok. Some of the lines felt squished into the mouth flaps.

I think the lines are supposed to be squished in there, seeing as how they're doing whatever it takes to improve the script for this lackluster show, which means throwing in as much funny dialogue as you can.

I like when Hilary said "What in the flippidyfud is that?" I don't see what they couldn't just drop the F-bomb like in GANTZ. I also liked how they used "Charmin" instead of "toilet paper." But because Chris Patton asked for yellow Charmin, I think it's a good thing they ended the clip there. Wink

And who else thinks Rob Mungle as the black cat is like a clone of Harvey from Sabrina the Teenage Witch? He sounds just like him.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This is the same people that made Milk Chan better. So there potencial.
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
That clip was pretty darn horrible. Not "OMFG they butchered the original!" but more of a "OMFG where's the talent?" Bad writing and bad acting. I watch dubs and really enjoy some of them as much as the Japanese track, even if they take some liberties, but this is downright laughable, and not because it's funny. The only thing humorous is the observation that this is toilet humor, literally. I'm not against dialogue changes if it's creative and adds to the characters (e.g. Lost Universe) but toilet paper color? Rolling Eyes
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Clips of ADV's controversial Ghost Stories English dub can be seen here.

Uh, why is this controversial?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

And who else thinks Rob Mungle as the black cat is like a clone of Harvey from Sabrina the Teenage Witch? He sounds just like him.

I got that too.

Cubs2084, try reading the preview for the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Quote:
Clips of ADV's controversial Ghost Stories English dub can be seen here.

Uh, why is this controversial?

Because they are changing almost everything with the dub track.

Plus it is directed by Steven Foster, the guy people have a love/hate relationship with.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the Japanese version of this show and that clip was almost dead on. From my impression of this it looks like they're just not going to tone down any of the jokes and add some of their own. I'm still going to watch the Japanese version of the show but I'll still make sure I check out the dub.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty damn funny, I gotta say. I've never actually seen the show in Japanese, but this dub is what makes me want to check it out.

I must be the only guy on the planet who thinks Steven Foster's work is awesome. I loved his work on Saiyuki, I thought his adaptation of Cromartie High School was much funnier than the original, same goes with Milk-Chan.

I understand Japanese culture well enough, but sometimes their concept of "humor" doesn't really work for me, so I'm all for wacky American humor, baby!

Comedy is one of the hardest things to translate to a foreign market. If a dub can make the English translation funny, then great. For example, FLCL had some obscure references to certain Japanese celebrities, bands, and magazines. But the dub basically used an American equivalent, and I thought it was just as sound as the Japanese version.

I'm probably going to hang for this, but I loved every bit of the Orphen dub. I never felt that the script or the acting felt out of place....

Do you think The Simpsons in Japanese sticks to the US script all 100%, I dunno.....

I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, so I can see if the whole dub is a hilarious one. Plus, you subtitle snobs can quit whining, there's the original Japanese version on the DVD. Rolling Eyes

This is something new and experimental, and I for one can't wait to see where this takes us.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I've seen the Japanese version of this show and that clip was almost dead on.

That...doesn't seem likely...
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Romuska wrote:
I've seen the Japanese version of this show and that clip was almost dead on.

That...doesn't seem likely...

I've seen the fansub as well, the gist is the same (pick red or blue paper, picking another color will make it worse), the only change I can see is in the characters personalities; making them more sarcastic to go along with the new lines. For example in the clip the chick with the book has a bit of an attitude, the original version would never dare talk back to the cat (look it up yourself Anime hyper). And the cat is just as evil as the original, I'm actually slightly interested in this show now Cool

The original show, just like the article says, just plain sucked. C- material for sure, it tries to be scary in an atmospheric way but fails and is just silly and utterly boring. Trust me, these new lines are far better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2